Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Corner & Old-Timers Inquiry

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

Default Collecting is a State of Mind

BigCoffinHunter here. I've been reading Stephen King for about 18 years now and started collecting his stuff about seven years ago.

If you're just getting into collecting, I warn you, STOP NOW! If you must collect, try to keep it simple, which in turn will keep your retirment funds safe. Collecting Stephen King is a state of mind. You keep telling yourself "If only I could get this one piece, my collection would be complete, and I'd be happy..." But guess what? It never ends... A matched set of Dark Tower I-VII was my "Holy Grail," and yet after acquiring mine only nine months after starting my collection, I just couldn't stop. Over $50,000.00 later, I'm still not satisfied.

Thankfully I'm only 24, and once you old timers start dying off: All Your Base Are Belong to Me! Muahahaha

Oh, and for the love of God, don't try to outbid Wizard, lest you be caught in the crosshairs of his mighty collecting pistols of doom
    "Smile... It is a fine day..."

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigCoffinHunter View Post
    BigCoffinHunter here. I've been reading Stephen King for about 18 years now and started collecting his stuff about seven years ago.

If you're just getting into collecting, I warn you, STOP NOW! If you must collect, try to keep it simple, which in turn will keep your retirment funds safe. Collecting Stephen King is a state of mind. You keep telling yourself "If only I could get this one piece, my collection would be complete, and I'd be happy..." But guess what? It never ends... A matched set of Dark Tower I-VII was my "Holy Grail," and yet after acquiring mine only nine months after starting my collection, I just couldn't stop. Over $50,000.00 later, I'm still not satisfied.

Thankfully I'm only 24, and once you old timers start dying off: All Your Base Are Belong to Me! Muahahaha

Oh, and for the love of God, don't try to outbid Wizard, lest you be caught in the crosshairs of his mighty collecting pistols of doom
    Hi Tom!
    So glad to see you here! Welcome. And, people, don't believe a word he says about bidding against me...I'm as gentle as a pussycat

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger Apprentice BigCoffinHunter is on a distinguished road BigCoffinHunter's Avatar

Default Put 'em Up! Put 'em Up!

A pussycat, huh? I'm guessing more like a lion.

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hile, friends. I've been collecting King for a few years. What started out as a few tattered paperbacks and book club editions seems to be shaping up nicely. Nothing TOO impressive yet, but I've got mostly 1st/1st hardcovers. What's not a 1st is at a minimum a later printing (Carrie through Night Shift).

My prize books are my DT collection (Gunslinger 2nd, the rest are 1st and Artist editions). I've got Lisey's story signed as a memento of seeing King live.

I collect other authors like Richard Laymon, Ray Garton, Michael Arnzen (an old Army buddy) and now Joe Hill.

And no, I'd never bid against Wiz! My pocket's are not deep enough!!!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Fellow Collectors!

Some of you may know me from ebay, and some of you may know me from the DT.NET.

I have been reading King since my teens, which is about half of my life.

I have been collecting for about eight years now with my first signed/limited being Dark Tower 4. It has been an expensive journey, but a fun one.

I am looking forward to some interesting and spirited discussions.

Sincerely,

a kinder/gentler tippy4

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Welcome to everyone!!

It's nice to see the hodge podge of collectors we have here.

From the seriously nutty (David) to the starters.

Looking forward to many a good discussion on the finer points of collecting King.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Default Konda... Konda... Konda!

Well if it isn't tippy4, risen from the dead. To use one of our colorful southern phrases:

"You stay oughta trouble, y'heah?"

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey gang,

Most of you know me from DT.N.
    For those that don't I'm Kyle, I live in Kenosha, WI (right between Milwaukee and Chicago) and I'm way too poor for this hobby! I like books, especially well made books, which is what lead me to collecting in the first place. I already have most of what I want, at least until the Revised Gunslinger S/L is released.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Hey gang,

For those that don't I'm Kyle, I live in Kenosha, WI (right between Milwaukee and Chicago) and I'm way too poor for this hobby! I like books, especially well made books, which is what lead me to collecting in the first place. I already have most of what I want, at least until the Revised Gunslinger S/L is released.
    Marshfield, WI is where I grew up.
    Not exactly close but...

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Hey gang,

Hi Kyle!!! Welcome to the site. And a welcome to Tippy as well. Haven't talked to you in ages, my friend! Glad you are well.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Along the Path of the Beam The Red Rose is on a distinguished road The Red Rose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well hello there all you crazy collectors, of course most of us know each other from DT.Net already but welcome to the newer collectors!

My name is Mick, I live in Cornwall in the UK. Been collecting for about three years now and have nowhere near what some of the other collectors have on their shelves. I'd like to have more but I'm happy to have what we do.

Collecting seriously requires finance, dedication, patience, learning and knowledge and if you have any questions there is always someone that will do their best to help as all the collectors are a GREAT bunch of people. I'm proud to say that I consider all of you to be friends!

It's great to see the new site up and running and to be a part of it
    The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Music is the language of the heart, the sound of the soul. The more we understand it, the deeper the listening experience becomes.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/4120/silversurfer2xk1.jpg

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey I'm CRinVA on most boards - many know me by my real name Bob!

I have been collecting King since around 1980. My prized possession - well that is hard to say; it might be the First Edition Carrie that I recently won (thanks Ceri); or my Six Stories that I was lucky enough to purchase at the original asking price of $80; or my personalized The Stand (the Complete and unabridged version); or even my Lighthouse VI (Stephen King Special Edition) paperback which contains Can' Ka No Rey - my first professional sale of a 2,000 word poem that retells the entire Dark Tower Story!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow!!

Those are some accomplishments there. Make sure you posts some pics so I can add you to our collectors page.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Tippy,

I'm very happy to see you here.
    Welcome.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys!

The welcome is appreciated!

Good to "see" you all again too!

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

hi... my name is Sir_Boomme.....

and i'm a habitual repeat collector....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome Sir_Boomme.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome Sir Boome.

Looks like I have some collections to post tonight on the web site.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Hey GUYS!!! Welcome!!

{{{{{{{{{Terry}}}}}}}}}
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi everyone. Great to see some familiar faces, some new ones, and especially glad to see Rick back on the boards!

I'm glad you are all here.
    - Patrick
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey guys,im Barry from Cork, Ireland.Ive been reading King for about 20 years and collecting seriously for about 10.My collection consists of US and UK 1sts, most S/L's, and all short story 1st appearances such as the Cavaliers,Castle Rock Newsletters,Moth,Startling Mysteries etc.My pride and joy? 1)a signed US 1st Carrie, 2) a signed ARC Secretay of Dreams (only 1 maybe?,lmk guys).

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Barry. Welcome to the site.

I would love to see pics of your collection so we could post them on the web page if you like.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Barry, glad to make your acquaintance.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Lurking

Hey Barry, welcome to the States! :-D

Glad to have you aboard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast