Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which is the best horror movie of all time?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien

19 55.88%
  • Psycho

15 44.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Best Horror - FINAL!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yet I don't consider Psycho a horror movie. To me it's a suspense/thriller. Semantics I know.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Problem is, from the outset this was meant to be the best movie tournament which happen to be horror, not the scariest movie tournament. See discussion prior to the beginning of the event. The better movie is clearly Psycho.
    I love it when someone states something as fact that is indeed an opinion. My own opinion might be that Psycho is too dependent on its two main gimicks: kill the supposed main character off early in the movie and big twist ending. I admire Hitchcock but I am not ready to declare Psycho as "clearly" one of the greatest. To be fair, I wouldn't say that of Alien either. I simply prefer Alien whether judging on horror or not.

I think this has inspired me to watch both again to see if that changes my opinion.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Yet I don't consider Psycho a horror movie. To me it's a suspense/thriller. Semantics I know.
    Some might say that the Sci-fi beat the thriller in what was suppose to be the horror contest.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would be anything that most if not all best movies lists put Psycho well above Alien. I love both films, so this is pretty objective.

Country
    Country Flag

I would be anything that most if not all best movies lists put Psycho well above Alien. I love both films, so this is pretty objective.
    Movie lists are nothing but subjective opinion. You can compare the length (quantity) of two movies objectively but quality is always a matter of opinion. That is what makes this fun (or frustrating.)

edit: I looked at IMDB's top250 list and Psycho was 31 while Alien was 49. However, both, and everything between, had an 8.5 rating. Then I noticed Leon: The Professional was higher than them both. WTF.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Some might say that the Sci-fi beat the thriller in what was suppose to be the horror contest.
    I consider Alien more of a horror movie than Psycho as it's second half is pure monster movie. The most frustrating part of this Tournament was the great horror films Scream beat out...Scream

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe crowd-sourced ratings reflect well on a film's stature. Both of these are very close, with Psycho rating 8.6 on IMDB and Alien 8.5, while on RT Psycho is 96% and Alien is 97%.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It is rare that a movie I really love is ranked above 8. More often than not they hover around the 6.5 to 7.5 range on IMDB.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Roden;858942]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it hasn't aged well is what I meant.
    I see what you mean; I myself hold more respect than love for Psycho. But since the films I do consider the best horrors of all times have been eliminated (namely, The Orphanage and The Others), I had to at least cling to something that bears can be more or less fond of. Especially after the unexplainable failure of The Shining and The Exorcist.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Problem is, from the outset this was meant to be the best movie tournament which happen to be horror, not the scariest movie tournament. See discussion prior to the beginning of the event. The better movie is clearly Psycho.
    I consider Alien the better movie in every way, not just as a horror.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you watched Prometheus/Alien back to back? I've considered doing it just to see if they are as similar as I find them, I found both movies so shockingly similar in structure that I've wondered if any problems I had with Prometheus were also in Alien.
    I have not, but I think this conversation has prompted me to do so. I was looking to buy Alien on blu-ray anyway since I only have it on DVD, I'll make that my priority this weekend.

... and I'll just Netflix Prometheus lol. It's sad too because the box art for it is so sexy but I just can't bring myself to drop cash for it.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

THE ONLY WAY TO FLY!
    Spoiler:

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    Movie lists are nothing but subjective opinion. You can compare the length (quantity) of two movies objectively but quality is always a matter of opinion. That is what makes this fun (or frustrating.)

edit: I looked at IMDB's top250 list and Psycho was 31 while Alien was 49. However, both, and everything between, had an 8.5 rating. Then I noticed Leon: The Professional was higher than them both. WTF.
    Now, don't start beating on my Leon! That movie was stellar! In my top 10 fave movies!

I'm a huge Hitchcock fan, don't get me wrong, but I actually found some of his other movies scarier than Psycho.

I love Alien... It's my fave of the series for "horror" elements. I will probably nominate Aliens or Alien3 for the sci-fi
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so... looks like we have the winner?...

: stupefied bear:

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Voting ends tomorrow, let's get those last min votes in!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's give a big round of applause to Alien, DT's Best Horror Movie! Thank you all for participating!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Alien was a strong contender the whole way through, not at all surprised it won.

Thank you every one for participating. It was fun, and I hope you all vote in the upcoming sci-fi tournament

And a big thank you to Feev for helping me host the tournament, couldn't have done it without you
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

It was close there for a while and then Alien just ripped through.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Before the contest started I thought that The Exorcist might win, so I'm really surprised.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew Exorcist and Psycho would make it to at least semi finals, but Alien has been a marvelous surprise. Great film, and a worthy champion.

This is definitely one of -if not the- closest finals we've had for these kind of tournaments.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would have loved to see an Alien vs Jaws final, but I am more than happy with this result. Alien is a fantastic movie!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

It was close there for a while and then Alien just ripped through.

Good one!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    I would have loved to see an Alien vs Jaws final, but I am more than happy with this result. Alien is a fantastic movie!
    It is. But Psycho was my nomination and therefore deserved to win!

sk

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5