Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: How often do you re-read books?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

17 29.82%
  • Sometimes

24 42.11%
  • Rarely

14 24.56%
  • Never

2 3.51%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you re-read books?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I re-read old favorites on a regular basis. Mostly King, though. Most King books I've enjoyed I've read at least twice. I read The Stand about once a year. Non-King favorites I re-read on occasion. I've read The Bonfire of the Vanities 3-4 times and Memoirs of a Geisha twice (and recently thinking about reading it again).

This does cut into my overall reading time to try new books, which perturbs me. But I can't stop!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I re-read LOTR once a year.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Nickelwise is on a distinguished road

I'd say for roughly every 20 books I read, one of them will be a reread. IT and The Stand are the two I've reread the most (11 for IT, 8 for The Stand.) Most of my rereads are King books mainly because he's my favorite author and so prolific, but I've also read all of Joe Hill's novels and short stories twice, except for NOS4ATU. I've also read almost all of Robert Bloch's books and short stories collections 2-3 times. On The Road by Jack Kerouac 3 times. Sometimes A Great Notion by Ken Kesey 5 times. All of F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack books except for the last couple 2-3 times each. That's just off the top of my head, there are plenty more.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Another thread about which non Dark Tower related King books have you read the most started me thinking about this topic and sure enough, mae has started a thread exactly about that! Thanks mae!

The only King book I've reread is The Shining and mainly because I was too inexperienced as a reader when I first tried The Shining (11 or 12 I think and not having read any adult books before) so about 15 years later I reread it because I was on a King kick that summer and read about 15 of his books in a row.

Non King Books I've read more than once.

Three or four times:
    Lolita - Nabokov
    The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
    Catch-22 - Heller
    Hannibal - Harris

Two Times:
    Red Dragon - Harris
    The Lord of the Flies - Golding
    Invisible Monsters - Palahniuk
    Lullaby - Palahniuk
    American Psycho - Ellis
    Blood Meridian - McCarthy
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
    The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee

and there are more that I will add as I think of them...

Other than these exceptions I don't tend to reread a lot. But I love that there are folks out there who've read a book 20, 30 times. That's awesome!

(A bit of a tangent but there are several films that I've seen well over 20 -30 times and some over 50 times)
    Last edited by Tommy; 06-24-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Resuscitating a thread that most of the regulars have already had their crack at, but what the heck.

I re-read pretty frequently for someone who is always desperate to find something new.

I read A Christmas Carol every December, and I may begin annual October re-reads of The House With A Clock In Its Walls this fall. Unfortunately, I can only do this with very short things; I know one of you (possibly Ben Mears) re-reads 'Salem's Lot each year, and I might like to do that, but conventional novels are just too long for me to re-read that regularly.

I've read the Harry Potter series multiple times, but not all the same number of times (things got out of hand). I think I read the first 5 books once, then maybe read them again when #6 came out; I think I then read the last hundred pages or so of #6 again, and might have fully re-read #6 just before #7 came out; I also think I read #2 a 3rd time just before #7 came out (and I stopped to re-read around 100 pages of #7 before I finished it). I will definitely re-read this (in some ways, it's the best thing I've ever read), but given the time it takes, I don't know when that will happen.

Lord Of The Rings - hell yeah. No real explanation needed.

Most often, re-reads are done because something is just that good, but often, I've simply forgotten most of the book, and knowing that I liked it at all, I have to go back to it; such was the case with Peter Straub's Ghost Story, which I re-read earlier this year. I also need to re-read Full Moon (a biography of Keith Moon), which came out when I was twelve, and I'm sure I got to it pretty soon after that. With King, it's a combination of both.

I've (very slowly) been doing a King re-read since 2012:
    2012: Carrie, Salem's Lot, Night Shift, The Shining, The Bachman Books, The Stand (original version)
    2013: The Stand (uncut), The Dead Zone, Firestarter, Danse Macabre, Cujo
    2016: TDT: The Gunslinger, Different Seasons, Christine, Pet Sematary, Thinner, Cycle Of The Werewolf, Skeleton Crew, It
    2017: The Eyes Of The Dragon, TDT: The Drawing Of The Three

...and nothing since.

I won't be re-reading his entire catalog (some things I read relatively recently, enough to recall them, but many of his early "classic" works I last read when I was a teen, and that was a loooooong time ago), and he has a number of things I haven't yet read at all (and I have to get on those). I will re-read most everything through DT7: possibly Bag Of Bones, definitely The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Hearts In Atlantis, definitely not Dreamcatcher (awful) or From A Buick 8 (fun, but that's all), possibly Everything's Eventual. After DT7, I've probably missed more than I read, and the things I've read I generally either read them too recently to warrant another read (Revival, Doctor Sleep), didn't like them enough for it to be worth it (Cell), or both (Under The Dome, Black House). I may hit Lisey's Story and Just After Sunset again. Of course, I may re-read Doctor Sleep very soon, to prep for the movie...so.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Another that I will re-read throughout life: Douglas Hofstadter's Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.

I would describe it as a meditation on consciousness, communication and thought built upon the foundation of a comparison and contrast of the work of the mathematician, woodcut artist, and composer for whom it is titled.

It's definitely not for everyone, but I have to recommend that people at least look into it. If you do, bear in mind that the Amazon description makes it sound hopelessly remote, but some of these quotes do a better job:

"Every few decades an unknown author brings out a book of such depth, clarity, range, wit, beauty and originality that it is recognized at once as a major literary event. This is such a work."—Martin Gardner, Scientific American

"In some ways, Godel, Escher, Bach is an entire humanistic education between the covers of a single book. So, for my next visit to a desert island, give me sun, sand, water and GEB, and I'll live happily ever after."—John L. Casti, Nature

"A brilliant, creative, and very personal synthesis without precedent or peer in modern literature."—The American Mathematical Monthly

"I have never seen anything quite like this book. It has a youthful vitality and a wonderful brilliance, and I think that it may become something of a classic."—Jeremy Bernstein

"A huge, sprawling literary marvel, a philosophy book disguised as a book of entertainment disguised as a book of instruction."—Atlanta Journal-Constitution

"A triumph of cleverness, bravura performance."—Parabola

"A wondrous book that unites and explains, in a very entertaining way, many of the important ideas of recent intellectual history."—Commonweal

"Godel, Escher, Bach was a triumphantly successful presentation of quite difficult concepts for a popular audience. There has been nothing like it in computer science before or since."—Ernest Davis, IEEE Expert

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I think about re-reading a book I think of ALL the books I have not read. With that said I am 8 books into a total Stephen King Re-read.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

I re-read many books but the two most frequent are 'Salem's Lot (once a year, beginning on September 5th, since 1976) and Summer of Night (yearly, beginning on June 1st, since 1991).
    Last edited by Ben Mears; 05-07-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I've been wanting to reread Summer of Night for the past few summers now. And it's funny because I was thinking of it again on my drive into work this morning

So I joined a SK bookclub a few years ago, so I've been rereading quite a few of his books recently. It's fun to revisit ones that you haven't read in forever. I've also reread a few of my favorite books throughout the years as well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have begun using audiobook format for my rereading, for the most part. I rarely listen to a book for my first time through, because I feel like I miss too much and can’t savor it the way I can while actually reading it. Audio also provides a different experience. I always have one or two books that I am reading in physical form, often one contemporary and one classic, as well as an occasional non fiction or two, and I am always going through an audiobook at the same time, usually a reread. There are still some books I reread frequently. I read A Christmas Carol annually around Christmas time, and I have several of my favorite books that I just keep returning to. Most of the Stephen King Classics I have read at least twice, and many of them I’ve read half a dozen times or more.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Every time I re-read 'Salem's Lot I get a kick out of the following Mark Petrie passage: His mother would be holding a book by Jane Austen on her lap...she read them over and over again and Mark was darned if he could see the sense in reading a book more than once. You knew how it was gong to end.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I recently read THE PASSAGE for the third time, and THE TWELVE for the second time so I could read THE CITY OF MIRRORS for the first time and know what was going on. I don't regret it.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I recently read THE PASSAGE for the third time, and THE TWELVE for the second time so I could read THE CITY OF MIRRORS for the first time and know what was going on. I don't regret it.
    Have to get back into The Passage. Only Read half but maybe was not in the mood.

Do have CD The Twelve S/L if interested.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I re-read many books but the two most frequent are 'Salem's Lot...
    I guessed right (it was you).

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I re-read many books but the two most frequent are 'Salem's Lot...
    I guessed right (it was you).
    Guilty as charged!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Just turn yourself in to the Library Police and save us a lot of trouble.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I re-read Cujo recently. It was the first book I ever read when I was 12 years old and, reading it this time, I was amazed that I could literally remember NOTHING about it. It was basically like reading a new King book.

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

funny enough that's one of his i've never read but i have had that happen to me lots of times in fact, when i was re-reading it a couple years back there was a lot i had completely forgotten about. one thing that i love when that happens to is not just king's books but Mysteries, if i read a mystery and wait a few years before i read it again i than just completely forget who the killer is, the same thing for movies that if i don't see a movie i've seen lots of times i will forget who the killer is and tv shows too and that's not a bad thing and it's not cause of i'm getting old either cause it was like that all my life. so that is something i don't complain about in fact, hell re-reading the Xanth books i had forgotten so much and though i'm still on the 3rd book lol i am enjoying reading those again

i did put all the time, but really it's sometimes i just hit the wrong one oh well. cause not everything i read are books i've read before

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had more time to re-read books. There are lots I'd like to re-read (especially some of the first King books I read), but I usually pick new books over re-reads, unless a sequel to a book I like is coming out and I need to re-read the others for a refresher.

I still need to get to City of Mirrors, but know that I need to re-read The Passage and The Twelve first (and what a chunk of my reading year that would be). Same reason I haven't read Doctor Sleep yet.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Have to get back into The Passage. Only Read half but maybe was not in the mood.

The Passage was so good

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I re-read Cujo recently. It was the first book I ever read when I was 12 years old and, reading it this time, I was amazed that I could literally remember NOTHING about it. It was basically like reading a new King book.
    Cujo is one of my favorite King books. I read it in a single day back in my teens at some point. It was the first book I had ever read in a single sitting. Loved it.

King says in On Writing that he was on a cocaine binge at the time of writing Cujo and doesn't recall writing it.

I think when I do re-read another King book, it will probably be Cujo.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

The Passage was so good
    I liked The Passage a lot. But some of the latter parts I found myself skimming through a bit and I rarely do that. I would have liked it more if it had been a just a wee bit shorter I think. The Twelve was OK. And City of Mirrors is a satisfying conclusion. The Passage is the best though. It is good.

I didn't watch the TV show. I think it could still make a very cool movie one day, maybe.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Cujo is one of my favorite King books. I read it in a single day back in my teens at some point. It was the first book I had ever read in a single sitting. Loved it.

King says in On Writing that he was on a cocaine binge at the time of writing Cujo and doesn't recall writing it.

I think when I do re-read another King book, it will probably be Cujo.
    Great Re-Read story! Looking forward to reading it again.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Another thread about which non Dark Tower related King books have you read the most started me thinking about this topic and sure enough, mae has started a thread exactly about that! Thanks mae!

The only King book I've reread is The Shining and mainly because I was too inexperienced as a reader when I first tried The Shining (11 or 12 I think and not having read any adult books before) so about 15 years later I reread it because I was on a King kick that summer and read about 15 of his books in a row.

Non King Books I've read more than once.

Three or four times:
    Lolita - Nabokov
    The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
    Catch-22 - Heller
    Hannibal - Harris

Two Times:
    Red Dragon - Harris
    The Lord of the Flies - Golding
    Invisible Monsters - Palahniuk
    Lullaby - Palahniuk
    American Psycho - Ellis
    Blood Meridian - McCarthy
    A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - Joyce
    The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway
    To Kill a Mockingbird - Lee

and there are more that I will add as I think of them...

Other than these exceptions I don't tend to reread a lot. But I love that there are folks out there who've read a book 20, 30 times. That's awesome!

(A bit of a tangent but there are several films that I've seen well over 20 -30 times and some over 50 times)
    I realized just know that I've reread The Stranger by Camus several times so adding that to the list along with The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger. Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea I've read twice also

I reread Fight Club last year, still a tremendous, vicious treat. Love it!

I also recently reread The Silence of the Lambs at the beginning of last year and it is one terrific book. I haven't read the new one yet but man! SotL is a truly disturbing read.

Also, I have reread Carrie twice and don't know how I forgot that in the original post.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I just realized that in my post, I said Cujo was the first book I ever read instead of saying "the first King book I ever read".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast