Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which film will make it to the FINAL?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alien

14 60.87%
  • The Exorcist

9 39.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best Horror - Semi Finals 1 of 2

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well there you go then. Dreamcatchers' plot premise is "Sci-Fi". So is "Alien", even down to the, what could be called "Horror" elements, The delivery of the monster and its birth. It's alien biology, no? Yes, there is quite a bit of suspense, but that does not constitute "Horror. Also the entire plot premise is "Sci-Fi" set in the future, in space and traveling to distant planets and meeting new organisms. If "Alien" is "horror" then so is "War Of the Worlds". See what I mean?
    I think we'll both argue this point to death without either side changing their minds. As we've seen with the nominations in this tournament, the horror genre is wide and encompasses many different facets of film making. It has no true, set parameters.

Alien the film has been discussed and dissected as a Horror film, it has all the hallmarks of one. The gradual revealing of the killer, the increasing body count as the film progresses (typically with the protagonists being picked off one by one which is a staple of the genre), the killer being a relentless, seemingly unstoppable force of nature. The fact that it also exists in the realm of sci fi does not mean that it is NOT also a horror film.

The difference between Alien and Dreamcatcher is the former centers on the unknown lurker and the feeling of paranoia, isolation, and helplessness the protagonists find themselves in; the second fully embraces it's science fiction roots as it deals with telepathy, transfiguration, mind reading. The focus is never on Mr. Grey lurking in the shadows dispatching our would be heroes.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Well there you go then. Dreamcatchers' plot premise is "Sci-Fi". So is "Alien", even down to the, what could be called "Horror" elements, The delivery of the monster and its birth. It's alien biology, no? Yes, there is quite a bit of suspense, but that does not constitute "Horror. Also the entire plot premise is "Sci-Fi" set in the future, in space and traveling to distant planets and meeting new organisms. If "Alien" is "horror" then so is "War Of the Worlds". See what I mean?
    I think we'll both argue this point to death without either side changing their minds. As we've seen with the nominations in this tournament, the horror genre is wide and encompasses many different facets of film making. It has no true, set parameters.

Alien the film has been discussed and dissected as a Horror film, it has all the hallmarks of one. The gradual revealing of the killer, the increasing body count as the film progresses (typically with the protagonists being picked off one by one which is a staple of the genre), the killer being a relentless, seemingly unstoppable force of nature. The fact that it also exists in the realm of sci fi does not mean that it is NOT also a horror film.

The difference between Alien and Dreamcatcher is the former centers on the unknown lurker and the feeling of paranoia, isolation, and helplessness the protagonists find themselves in; the second fully embraces it's science fiction roots as it deals with telepathy, transfiguration, mind reading. The focus is never on Mr. Grey lurking in the shadows dispatching our would be heroes.

So, we agree to disagree. Nice debating with ya, my man!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Anytime! I'm always up for a good discussion.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

I think I can agree with this. I still don't think much of Alien, but there is a very good point here about what makes a film belong to this or that genre.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think you all miss the real reason that Alien is a horror movie. It is meant as a psycho-sexual horror. You can see my more extended comments in the finals thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3