Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Only ONE will advance!

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Ring

2 7.41%
  • The Shining

10 37.04%
  • Night of the Living Dead

7 25.93%
  • The Silence of the Lambs

8 29.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Horror - Round 3 - Group 3

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Horror - Round 3 - Group 3

The Ring.

The Shining

Night of the Living Dead

Silence of the Lambs

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Shining. Whoever says it's not scary and not a good film is being disingenuous. Including King.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Shining - not because I love this movie (I don't), or because it's King-related (who cares),but because it's by Kubrick, my #1 director.

sk

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The Shining! My all-time favorite horror film. It's perfect.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Romero

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Not The Shining Jean?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No... I am sorry, I liked it to an extent, but I wasn't really impressed. And there's only one scene that really scared, or rather, disturbed, me

Spoiler:
    All work and no play etc

Otherwise, it's very much one-man show (Nicholson's), and what he does has nothing to do with horror, or tragedy, or drama of a man whose soul is his own no more, - but just a brilliant display of his outstanding abilities. Which is fun to watch, I don't dispute that, but somehow for me it makes the whole movie miss the point.

Romero's film was a little on the dullish side, but it left a lingering aftertaste; then, it's an undiluted classic, and bears always love it; then, the ending is very strong. I can't say I loved this movie, or will ever watch it again (unless I desperately want to watch something, and there's nothing else), but I respect and appreciate it more than any other in this bracket.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only concession I'll make of The Shining as a potential 'failure' is as an adaptation of SK's work. As a film though it's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    No... I am sorry, I liked it to an extent, but I wasn't really impressed. And there's only one scene that really scared, or rather, disturbed, me

Spoiler:
    All work and no play etc

Otherwise, it's very much one-man show (Nicholson's), and what he does has nothing to do with horror, or tragedy, or drama of a man whose soul is his own no more, - but just a brilliant display of his outstanding abilities. Which is fun to watch, I don't dispute that, but somehow for me it makes the whole movie miss the point.

Romero's film was a little on the dullish side, but it left a lingering aftertaste; then, it's an undiluted classic, and bears always love it; then, the ending is very strong. I can't say I loved this movie, or will ever watch it again (unless I desperately want to watch something, and there's nothing else), but I respect and appreciate it more than any other in this bracket.
    I was always under the impression that it was one of your favorites for some reason, so I was just surprised to see you hadn't voted for it. And I agree about The Night of the Living Dead's ending. Easily one of the best endings to a film.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    The only concession I'll make of The Shining as a potential 'failure' is as an adaptation of SK's work. As a film though it's perfect.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think it even failed as an adaptation. Sure it's a bit different and it missed some big themes with the book. But there's been so many bad SK adaptations, that maybe I just automatically group this one with the good ones

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Shining is ahead by one point, but it's a close race!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave some love to the Ring, why not. The Shining will make it through. I wasn't too wowed by Night of the Living Dead and I'm sure if I had of seen it much earlier in life it would have seemed more impressive.

I love The Shining. Visually I think it's a complete masterpiece and it's one of those movies that's almost a shot fest, just great shot after great shot like Barry Lyndon, except not boring as hell.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Night of the Living Dead isn't as "loved" (but I'm not sure that's even the right word) now because it has influenced the content and style of so many horror movies, that it's a case of something fresh back then not being as fresh now.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

As I have stated previously, I hate the Kubrik version of "The Shining" for its shabby treatment of the source material IMHO. So I went with "Silence of the Lambs", even though I don't consider it a true "horror" film.

Just an idle thought, but ifyou think SOTL is a "Horror" movie then why not "Seven"? Just curious is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Silence deserves this. A scary movie with actual good acting? There isn't that many out there...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Sticking with The Shining. I love all these movies, but The Shining is the only one where my fingers betray me while flipping through the channels and insist that I watch the rest.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Wow, they're all super close.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I love The Shining. Visually I think it's a complete masterpiece and it's one of those movies that's almost a shot fest, just great shot after great shot like Barry Lyndon, except not boring as hell.
    It's definitely something else. It's just one of those films where it seems every single shot was meticulously mulled over and planned before hand; nothing happens by accident.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted for Night of the Living Dead.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had to go with The Silence of the Lambs. Fantastic group, though. All 4 are movies that I have watched repeatedly.

We really need more votes for The Shining please

Country
    Country Flag

It's definitely something else. It's just one of those films where it seems every single shot was meticulously mulled over and planned before hand; nothing happens by accident.
    I thought that's what cinema was about?

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I thought that's what cinema was about?
    Yes, but the difference lies in execution. Kubrick just seems to operate on a different level.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Which is why to me the best film ever made is Barry Lyndon. One could not make a film any better than that.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I would say one could not make such a beauitfully composed film than Barry Lyndon. So many of the shots are like paintings, it's rather astounding. Narrative-wise I don't think it was a fantastic movie, good but not fantastic.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast