3 11.54%
  • Evil Dead 2

3 11.54%
  • The Exorcist

11 42.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Horror - Round 3 Group 2

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

This contest would have lost all integrity if Sixth Sense beat Exorcist. Things are as they should be.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I love The Exorcist too, but the film is not 5% as good as the book.
    Wow, I did not even realize The Exorcist was a book.. That's my stupid thing of the day out of the way.. I'll add it to my reading list after The Stand (just finished Pet Semetary).

WHAT???!!!!

: faints :

do it now! and The Legion, of course, right after The Exorcist - it is even better.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Um...

I didn't know that either.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fuck. It's on position 24 of our Top 100 Novels.

Yes, you don't have to tell me, I know that nobody fucking cared.

Fuck my life.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, if I were to tell you how many of those novels I haven't read yet, you'd legit never talk to me again

Country
    Country Flag

You didn't have to read the novels. You and all the alleged thousands of members here could at least have looked through the list, or the discussion.

I give up.

Along the Path of the Beam Roden will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by Roden View Post
    I love The Exorcist too, but the film is not 5% as good as the book.
    Wow, I did not even realize The Exorcist was a book.. That's my stupid thing of the day out of the way.. I'll add it to my reading list after The Stand (just finished Pet Semetary).

WHAT???!!!!

: faints :

do it now! and The Legion, of course, right after The Exorcist - it is even better.
    Roger that! It looks a short read compared to the tomes I've been going through recently, so will try read it soon..

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Is Legion better than The Exorcist Jean?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

No.. and yes. It's like Alice in the Wonderland vs. Alice Through the Looking Glass. The former is new, fresh, classic, strong, perfect. The latter is more personal, less spontaneous, more intricate, more lyrical. I think The Exorcist is better, but I love Legion more. Same with Alice.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I am making my way through our top 100 now. Enjoyed the creation of the list, and am now enjoying the books from it that I have not yet read. Thank you for organizing the project. Currently reading Watership Down as a matter of fact.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Jean, I am making my way through our top 100 now. Enjoyed the creation of the list, and am now enjoying the books from it that I have not yet read. Thank you for organizing the project. Currently reading Watership Down as a matter of fact.

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I just Googled Watership Down because I had no idea that that's what it's about. What I had in my mind was the total opposite of a kid's book about bunnies.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Okay, I just Googled Watership Down because I had no idea that that's what it's about. What I had in my mind was the total opposite of a kid's book about bunnies.
    A BOOK ABOUT BUNNYS
    Spoiler:
    KID'S BOOK?

Country
    Country Flag

It is the total opposite of a kid's book about bunnies.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Watership Down is not really a childrens' book at all. Yes it has talking rabbits, and it has been made into a cartoon. But, the themes are very much adult, and certain parts are downright brutal. It is a classic exodus story involving rabbits, not the cute bunny cartoon that the above picture suggests. Its a story of strength, bravery, and perseverence told from a unique perspective with some creative mythology and Tolkeinesque inventive language mixed in.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Wow, me too. I thought it was about war or something
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

See, me too!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the same for a long time, but I googled it after The Waste Lands. Then for years I was reluctant to read it, because I knew it was about rabbits. Then, at last, last year I read it and when I was trying to determine which was the best book I read that year (to post in this thread), it competed with The Terror (on which I finally decided, but it was close)

I'm still reading through The Exorcist (only do so at night), its definitely scary - though I can't decide if its scary because I saw the movie and is helping with the imagery or because the book is actually scary. Any thoughts? I'm about just over half-way through I guess.

Country
    Country Flag

I never thought about it as a scary book. It's an intelligent book, deeply moving and very well written... don't know about scary. I was always so overwhelmed with pity while reading that maybe it supplanted the fear.

I never thought about it as a scary book. It's an intelligent book, deeply moving and very well written... don't know about scary. I was always so overwhelmed with pity while reading that maybe it supplanted the fear.
    Yeah, I guess so. I like how it went into detail on the psychological aspects.. now that I think about it, it seems this book might have influenced movies such as Session 9 (vivid description of satanic orgies and split personalities) and End of Days even (the way the devil guy twists the priests head completely around, religious assassins, and other minor points).

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the same for a long time, but I googled it after The Waste Lands. Then for years I was reluctant to read it, because I knew it was about rabbits. Then, at last, last year I read it and when I was trying to determine which was the best book I read that year (to post in this thread), it competed with The Terror (on which I finally decided, but it was close)
    This may be the only occasion were I have read a "classic" book before Jean did. I read it because the author also wrote Shardik (the basis for the bear in The Wastelands), it was mentioned on the first season of Lost, and the cartoon terrified my wife. Actually, for awhile I was attempting to read all the books mentioned or shown on Lost but I got stuck on Fear and Trembling and never finished.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast