Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to TELL ME WHERE TO GO? ................ Bookstores, etc. in your area.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Want to TELL ME WHERE TO GO? ................ Bookstores, etc. in your area.

When I travel I often try to prepare by looking for options I should check out in any area I’ll be visiting.
    When time allows, I look up Rare Bookstores, used or specialty book stores as well as unique stores or places I have in the past found to provide opportunity for unique treasures. Sometime I recall a place mentioned previously by a member here.
    I also often try to keep in mind if other members may reside nearby who I might be able to meet while passing through or those who can suggest the “Don’t miss” spots in any given location whether it be a fabulous diner, a special event, the best brewery, a flea-market that often yields significant items or a vista with a remarkable view.

With that in mind I am starting this thread so those traveling may inquire of locals or others that have been there to share “WHERE TO GO”.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to start this thread a few weeks back when traveling to Minneapolis (a neat city).
    We were staying downtown for a few days and only using public transportation however found a number of places to check out even without this thread.
    Here are a few places I found or visited with my thoughts:

Midway Books
    1579 University Ave W, St Paul, MN
    This is an interesting store with great potential, good staff and some signed King available on my visit.

Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore
    2864 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, MN
    Very interesting store with piles in the isles. Lots of stuff to peruse through. Many old maganzines Fantasy and Science Fiction mags for as little as $3. You would need to spend time however may locate a great find.
    Uncle Edgars Mystery Bookstore
    Attached to Uncle Hugo’s with similar stock of all sorts of mysteries.

James & Mary Laurie Booksellers
    Old address: 921 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN
    Current address: 250 3rd Ave. North (At Washington)
    Minneapolis, MN, 55401
    Very well organized with nice shelves full of books. Had a few King Limiteds at high prices. VERY proud of thier books.
    When I was leaving after admiring and discussing his King Stock ( all items I already had), he mentioned he would discount those in store prices significantly. Worth a visit.

Book$Mart Incorporated
    1300 W Lake St, Minneapolis, MN
    This was an interesting used book store in a huge basement location which appears to have potential as seems like gets a bit of turnover.
    Liked the racks of books displaying “just arrived”, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. with table for each day.

Magers & Quinn Booksellers
    3038 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN
    Some old books. Mainly new, Some signed books from events (No King)

Half Price Books
    At least two in the area. I often find things at these stores. (Kind of hit or miss). I did not get to them as was traveling by public transportation and only wandered so far from downtown.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Heading to Orlando FL in a couple weeks. ANY suggestions of places to go (other than the theme parks) ?
    Any Bookstores I should be visiting?

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen
    4014 N Goldwater Blvd #101, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 USA www.poisonedpen.com
    Mainly mysteries and thrillers. They specialize in signed first editions and do a lot of signings throughout the year. Also have paperback backs as well. Staff is great, very friendly.

The Book Gallery
    3643 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ
    Lots of used books in many genres, fiction and nonfiction. Again, a great staff.

By The Book
    1045 East Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85014 www.bythebooklc.com
    Lots of signed books. Also many genres covered as well.

Dog Earred Pages
    16428 N 32nd Street, Suite 111, Phoenix, AZ www.dogearedpagesusedbooks.com
    Used books and plenty of them. Not sure if this is still open as they had some financial issues in the last year, but great staff. Hope they can get through the tough times.

There are also some Half Price Books in the valley. You can get lucky and find a treasure buried among the masses but mainly just used hardbacks and paperbacks.

*EDIT: great thread idea by the way. I am always looking for stores to go to when I travel.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

While not many of you will get the chance to visit it, on Ramstein Air Base in Germany is a little used book store called BooksRMagic. I picked up a mint trade Drawing of the Three there, some UK editions, and a whole lotta Star Trek paperbacks.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

NICKELWISE has a used book shop here in Colorado. I hope he sees this thread & post info. He is always a pleasure to do business with!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen
    Mainly mysteries and thrillers. They specialize in signed first editions and do a lot of signings throughout the year. Also have paperback backs as well. Staff is great, very friendly.

The Book Gallery
    Lots of used books in many genres, fiction and nonfiction. Again, a great staff.

By The Book

Dog Earred Pages
    Used books and plenty of them. Not sure if this is still open as they had some financial issues in the last year, but great staff. Hope they can get through the tough times.

There are also some Half Price Books in the valley. You can get lucky and find a treasure buried among the masses but mainly just used hardbacks and paperbacks.

*EDIT: great thread idea by the way. I am always looking for stores to go to when I travel.
    Good stuff for the Phoenix area, Joe. However you forgot "Bookman's" a MUST stop in for a peek as you just never know what they will have on hand, and cheap. The place is a book and media exchange almost like a pawn shop for books, records, etc.

Also, I agree great idea for a thread, James!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm heading to Portland soon and have Powell's on my list. Are there any other bookstores worth checking out?
    Mark Twain

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen

The Book Gallery

By The Book

Dog Earred Pages

Good stuff for the Phoenix area, Joe. However you forgot "Bookman's" a MUST stop in for a peek as you just never know what they will have on hand, and cheap. The place is a book and media exchange almost like a pawn shop for books, records, etc.

Don't know if I've been to a Bookmans yet. I'll have to find one close by.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Phoenix/Scottsdale

The Poisoned Pen

The Book Gallery

By The Book

Dog Earred Pages

Don't know if I've been to a Bookmans yet. I'll have to find one close by.
    You HAVE to stop in to this place. I have seen entire "collections" on the shelves at times from "pissed off" girlfriends!! LOL

http://bookmans.com/stores/

Of course, you just never know what will be on the shelves, but you just have to look!!! They are NOT collectors!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Nickelwise is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Lot guy View Post
    NICKELWISE has a used book shop here in Colorado. I hope he sees this thread & post info. He is always a pleasure to do business with!
    Thanks for the good words Lot Guy, but my bookstore is no more. My company is in the process of going under, and the retail part was taken over by someone else who didn't want books in the store, so I'm staring down the barrel of unemployment, and also have 30,000 books that I haven't figured out what to do with, though some will probably end up going on the Collectible Classifieds thread soon.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Anybody recommend anything in Washington DC? I'll be there for 5 days, 2nd week of June.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelwise View Post
    Thanks for the good words Lot Guy, but my bookstore is no more. My company is in the process of going under, and the retail part was taken over by someone else who didn't want books in the store, so I'm staring down the barrel of unemployment, and also have 30,000 books that I haven't figured out what to do with, though some will probably end up going on the Collectible Classifieds thread soon.
    Let me know what Richard Matheson books you have

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will be in St. Louis in June. I've never had any luck finding any good book stores there. Any suggestions?

The only Matheson I have that I know of (still have a lot of inventory to do) is a first Bantam paperback printing of Dark Forces signed by by Ray Bradbury, Joyce Carol Oates, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, Richard Matheson, Richard Christian Matheson and Edward Bryant. I bought it in a lot and don't remember the story behind the signatures, but when I get a chance, I'll track it down and get you more information if you're interested.

Country
    Country Flag

The only Matheson I have that I know of (still have a lot of inventory to do) is a first Bantam paperback printing of Dark Forces signed by by Ray Bradbury, Joyce Carol Oates, Robert Bloch, Ramsey Campbell, Dennis Etchison, Richard Matheson, Richard Christian Matheson and Edward Bryant. I bought it in a lot and don't remember the story behind the signatures, but when I get a chance, I'll track it down and get you more information if you're interested.
    Yes, thanks!

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry about your job, and hope it works out. But yea, books! I could think of worse things to do before leaving!

And...think there are any other Bradburys...?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Anybody recommend anything in Washington DC? I'll be there for 5 days, 2nd week of June.
    Went to these two when I was there last summer.

Second Story Books
    2000 P St NW
    Washington, DC 20036

Capitol Hill Books
    657 C St SE
    Washington, DC 20003

This one was cool. An old store with filled to the ceiling with books.

(Sorry for the large pic)

Spoiler:

Country
    Country Flag

I have a love/hate of places like that picture. I love them because you never know what you will find. I hate them because they are so disorganized and often books are treated poorly.

Country
    Country Flag

It is pretty well organized actually, but I do agree with you.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Found this list of Independent Bookstores - it may help

http://www.newpages.com/bookstores/

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    Found this list of Independent Bookstores - it may help

http://www.newpages.com/bookstores/
    Well that is just awesome! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, as a side note, if you come to Charleston, South Carolina, don't waste time looking for books. Go sit on a veranda, sip a mint julep, and have some BBQ. I buy all my books online (except for the occasional freak find at a thrift store).

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Went to these two when I was there last summer.

Second Story Books
    2000 P St NW
    Washington, DC 20036

Capitol Hill Books
    657 C St SE
    Washington, DC 20003

This one was cool. An old store with filled to the ceiling with books.

(Sorry for the large pic)

Spoiler:
    Thanks Joe, that's great info. I will def stop in at Capitol Hill books. I'll instruct my colleagues to send a search party if i'm not back before midnight!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I'm sorry about your job, and hope it works out. But yea, books! I could think of worse things to do before leaving!

And...think there are any other Bradburys...?
    I've got this, which is the first post in my Collector's thread:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Nickelwise

Graven Images: The Best Of Horror, Fantasy And Science Fiction Film Art From The Collection Of Ronald V. Borst, Introduction By Stephen King. Borst, Ronald (Editor). Grove Press. First Edition, signed by Forrest J. Ackerman, Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, Ronald V. Borst, Keith Burns, Leith Adams.

The seller I bought it from on Ebay said he acquired all the signatures personally at various conventions. I believe I also have some other Bradbury paperbacks from the 50s-70s, most aren't in great condition, or particularly valuable. In case I've given the wrong impression about my inventory, the vast majority of the books I have are standard used book store or thrift store fare. Maybe 1,000 or so are worth more than a couple bucks, but as I go through them I'm always finding a few that are worth a bit more like a signed Vanna White biography, a 1939 movie tie in of Gone With The Wind, a 1939 printing of Mein Kamph. And to be clear, the above two books I mentioned, and anything King related, horror related or signed that I list will have been bought specifically for my personal collection, either from the publisher, Ebay, or another third party seller.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If in the San Francisco Bay Area, go to Dark Carnival in Berkeley. Very quirky place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast