Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald's Game film

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Gerald's Game film

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=118474
    Many of Stephen King's novels and short stories have been turned into movies both for television and the big screen but one of the novels that seems to have evaded adaptation since it was released in 1992 is Gerald's Game, a terrifying thriller about a woman who becomes trapped, handcuffed to a bed in a remote area after her husband dies in the middle of a bondage game.

Deadline is reporting that Oculus director Mike Flanagan has come on board to adapt the book, co-writing with his partner Jeff Howard, with plans to direct it as his next movie. Originally, Flanagan was going to start production on his next movie Diver over the summer but has decided to push that back to 2015 to focus on the King adaptation.

Flanagan's regular producing partner Trevor Macy and Intrepid Pictures will produce the film and Flanagan had this to say about the project:

“In the tradition of Misery and Dolores Claiborne, Gerald’s Game is one of the most intense and compelling novels I’ve ever read, and this has been a dream project for many years. Trevor and I are very excited to help translate that experience for an audience."

If you've read Gerald's Game and seen Oculus, how do you feel it might translate to the screen with Mike Flanagan on board?

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's going to be a difficult one to market to the mainstream audience. I hope they don't even try but go the independent route with a lower budget and smaller audience.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't help but wonder who they'll get for Jesse.

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I found it amusing that the first person to post about this on SKMB was named...Gerald.

Banned DanishFan is on a distinguished road

Didn't King write a screenplay for this one some years ago, with Craig Baxley attached as director? And with Nicole Kidman interested in the part? I know King wrote one for Gingerbread Girl (also with Baxley attached) but I'm positive this was also the case with Gerald's Game. In any case, this is good news, I've always wanted to see this one adapted.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/n...ralds-game-189
    Mike Flanagan is certainly a director on the rise. His OCULUS scared up some pretty good reviews and did well at the box office earlier this year, prompting many to speculate that we'd likely see a sequel heading our way eventually, but first Flanagan plans on tackling an adaptation of Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME. We first reported on Flanagan's involvement with GERALD'S GAME back in April just as OCULUS was hitting theaters, and now Fangoria has gotten some updates on where GERALD'S GAME stands right now and Flanagan's desire to revisit the horrors of the Lasser Glass.

Flanagan shares...

As far as another OCULUS movie, it’s something that we’ve talked about. The movie performed well enough for the studio that they’d be really game for a sequel, but I would only want to do it if I found a story that’s as exciting as I found the first one. The last thing I’d want to do is get in the business of franchising the movie and crank out sequels to an idea even if it’s worn out. So there’s been talk about it, but for the moment, I want to focus on GERALD’S GAME first. If the right story presents itself, however, I’d love to go back and spend another year with that mirror.

I can appreciate that he's hesitant to move forward with a sequel without a strong story. We've seen what happens when an idea is run into the ground with numerous (and quickly produced) sequels. Yeah, I'm looking at you, SAW and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

I'm more excited about Flanagan's adaptation of Stephen King's GERALD'S GAME, which Flanagan seems very enthusiastic about. He shares...

I’ve been wanting to make GERALD’S GAME for ten years. I love that novel and I first started trying to acquire the rights around that time. After OCULUS came out, King had seen the movie and really liked it, so things finally fell into place for GERALD’S GAME. I’m so excited about that, but talk about a difficult movie! If you want to talk about the strange structure of OCULUS, GERALD’S GAME is really out there.

GERALD’S GAME is intimate and contained on a level that’s really exciting from a creative point of view. It’ll be a really strange and exciting movie for an audience, and there’s nothing quite like it. For the longest time, I’d look at that book and be convinced it was unfilmable, but I finished the script late last year and at the moment, I’m convinced it is filmable. It’s a strange one, but we’re casting that right now and hopefully we’ll be going into production on that in late winter or early spring of next year.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Gerald's Game, the movie?

A few years back there were rumours of a possible adaptation with Nicole Kidman. The project never saw the light of the day, however, a imdb page has been updated a month or so ago.
    >>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748172/

Maybe it will happen, or maybe not. But it is interesting to note that tis is the director of OCULUS, a movie that Steve acclaimed on twitter
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03...ing-dark-tower
    Director Mike Flanagan, who made the horror films Oculus and Hush, has told the Shock Waves podcast that he wants to tackle a film in the planned Dark Tower franchise, which is based on Stephen King’s series of fantasy novels. Filmmaker Nikolaj Arcel (A Royal Affair) is currently directing the first movie in the series in South Africa with a cast which includes Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey.

“For me, The Dark Tower is a dream project,” Flanagan explained to Shock Waves hosts Rebekah McKendry, Rob Galluzzo, and Elric Kane. “My favorite [book] is number four. Wizard and Glass, I want it. But we’ll have to see.”

Flanagan also discussed at length his proposed adaptation of another King book, 1992’s Gerald’s Game.

“The big one that I’ve been pushing uphill now for a year-and-a-half, maybe longer, is… Gerald’s Game, which I got permission to do after Oculus came out,” said the director. “The rub with Gerald’s Game is, if you’ve read the book, it’s a woman and her husband go to their lakehouse, miles from anywhere, to kind of spice up their love-life. He handcuffs her to a bed, he promptly dies of a heart attack, and the woman is her handcuffed to the bed for days. So, it’s 127 Hours-meets-Gravity. But, when you talk about minimalism, this is a challenge. When I first read the book, I thought it was unfilmable and it took me 10 years to find a structure that I was like, ‘This will work.’ And so, Jeff [Howard, Flanagan’s Oculus cowriter] and I wrote the script, King loved the script, and we were all set to go. It’s just been a nightmare to try to get it up off the ground, because I can’t get people passed this idea that it’s a movie about a woman handcuffed to a bed.”

Flanagan revealed that the project could take flight at Netflix, which debuted Flanagan’s slasher movie Hush last April. “I thought the project was in danger of total stagnation for a while, and Hush really shook it awake again, because King loved Hush, and Netflix loved Hush, like Netflix loved the way it was performing. And so Netflix showed up and they were like, ‘You know what we have a lot of? Money. You know what we don’t have a lot of? [New] movies. You know, what we like to do is take risks on movies. It doesn’t matter to us if you don’t think you can get the movie into multiplexes. Hush worked. We’ve got you and Stephen King. Maybe we want to do it at a price-point that a studio wouldn’t.’ So, I don’t know if that’s happening and I don’t want to put the cart before the horse. But, yeah, the project is alive again because of that and so we’re having those conversations.”

You can her Flanagan talk more about his career, his forthcoming horror sequel Ouija 2, and his planned I Know What You Did Last Summer reboot, on the latest episode of Shock Waves.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just think there's much better stories/books that could be adapted or even reworked rather than this one. But I really didn't care for the book all that much so....
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have tried three times to read the book but can't even get a third of the way in... I'd much rather the 'apt pupil ' be done by Cohen brothers or from a Buick 8... IMHO...

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I enjoyed Gerald's Game, but still can't see how a movie could work.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    I have tried three times to read the book but can't even get a third of the way in... I'd much rather the 'apt pupil ' be done by Cohen brothers or from a Buick 8... IMHO...
    Apt Pupil would be cool. Buick is another least favorite.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apt Pupil is already a movie. It was actually pretty great. Starred Ian McKellen.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Buick is another least favorite.
    Buick 8 was great, like the (the book now )...

Country
    Country Flag

God I'm crap on this phone!!!
    Mentioned to say heard apt pupil was great but never came across a copy (the film copy) and again buick8 was great like the langoliers ... (the book form)

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.rue-morgue.com/single-pos...E2%80%99S-GAME
    With OUIJA: ORIGIN OF EVIL ready for its October release, director Mike Flanagan is confident that his long-mooted adaptation of Stephen King’s novel GERALD’S GAME will get off the ground next. And he’s committed to doing right by the book—about a woman left handcuffed to a bed in a remote cabin after a sex romp with her husband goes awry—knowing that the track record of King movies has been the definition of uneven.

“Stephen King has been my hero since I was a child,” Flanagan tells RUE MORGUE, “and one of the things about being a fan of his is that I’m used to the familiar heartbreak of seeing his film adaptations and feeling like something’s gone off, and that the source material I love so much has not translated properly—with obvious exceptions. It’s just that for every SHAWSHANK or GREEN MILE or STAND BY ME, you’ve got…the others, that really hurt! It’s very important for me, as a fan, not to end up in that pile. I loved GERALD’S GAME from the minute I put it down; I had gooseflesh all over my arms and my neck when I finished it, and I remember just exhaling and saying, ‘I want to make this into a movie—and it’s unfilmable!’ [laughs] and shaking my head, thinking, ‘If I could crack this, this could be one of the greatest King adaptations of them all.’ ”

Flanagan’s involvement with GERALD’S GAME (which he scripted with his regular collaborator Jeff Howard) was first announced in 2014, shortly before he began working on a secret project that turned out to be the superior stalker film HUSH. That movie’s great success as a Netflix premiere earlier this year, the director says, has helped push GERALD’S GAME closer to fruition. “I view HUSH, actually, as my most successful movie,” Flanagan says. “All of Netflix’s numbers are proprietary, so I don’t get to look at them, but the way I’ve heard people talking, it’s been viewed an amazing number of times, and the reception has been very, very positive. Coincidentally, Stephen King watched HUSH at home on Netflix and tweeted about it, which kind of blew my mind. And that got us talking about GERALD’S GAME again.

“If you know the source material,” he continues, “you’ll know there are a lot of challenges inherent in that story. Not so much the narrative challenges of how to adapt it; it took me 10 years of constantly thinking about the book to crack the cinematic version. But it’s a real challenge for financiers and distributors, who say, ‘Yeah, we love your work, we love Stephen King, but this story, this particular story? We don’t know how it works,’ without reshaping it to fit a much more conventional structure, which I did not want to do. And Netflix, because of how well HUSH has done, said, ‘We’re really interested in this, and we’d like to do it the way you want to do it.’ And that eliminated the pressure of having to test-screen the movie and define the demographic that’s going to watch it—all of that stuff that typically comes into the conversation when you’re trying to figure out how to market a film for a wide theatrical release. It just cleared the table, so that I can make the movie I want to make. I’m hoping very much that we can get that movie up on its feet soon.”

As of now, Flanagan (who hasn’t heard any updates on when his horror/fantasy BEFORE I WAKE, which recently got bumped out of its fourth release date, will hit theaters) isn’t sure how involved King himself will be in the GERALD’S GAME feature. “That’s going to be entirely up to him. From what I’ve heard, sometimes he’s very involved when it comes to approvals and things like that, and sometimes he can be more hands-off. So I guess that remains to be seen. I would personally want him to be as involved as he possibly wants to be. And I think the more Stephen is involved, the more he’ll see the reverence that I have for this book. I would love for him to be part of this, and I hope he will be.” Keep your eyes here for further updates on GERALD’S GAME.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

God I'm crap on this phone!!!
    Mentioned to say heard apt pupil was great but never came across a copy (the film copy) and again buick8 was great like the langoliers ... (the book form)
    ill send you mine for the shipping cost. I think it's pretty good actually.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I never really liked the book and can't see how it can possibly translate to a good movie. Especially if they plan on sticking to the same basic premise of the book.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

127 hrs was great. If it's like that, I would enjoy it. But yeah there's other books I'd like to see before this. I think Rose Madder would be a fantastic film.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald.s Game and Lisey's Story are the worst King stories. It took me over 20 years to finish Gerald's Game, and Lisey's Story still is on the shelf with a book-marker 1/4 into the page block.

Ad Rose Madder to the list.

I call it the King wife apology era.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It took me a couple of years of listening to Gerald's Game to finish it. I can see GG as an indie, art school, short movie clocking in at a solid ten minutes but as a full feature? I might as well flush $10 down the toilet.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Gerald's Game film

I don't know. Maybe I'm one of the few, but I liked GG.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

My wife and I were talking about this and agreed that it could be done well as a Women-Empowerment type movie in the same way that Lifetime (?) did with Big Driver. As a made-for-tv movie, that was pretty darn good.

Focus a little less on the kinky sex and the humiliation and a little more on the Strong Woman Survivng Adversity, and with the right cast it could be fairly succesful.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Gerald's Game. Lisey's Story, though, was fucking trash. Got about halfway through and even THAT was hard work.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I liked Gerald's Game. Lisey's Story, though, was fucking trash. Got about halfway through and even THAT was hard work.
    Yeow, that's harsh. I'll try not to hold that against you dude! Although there was a part of Lisey's that I didn't much care for, overall I really liked it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast