8 40.00%
  • Character Development: Graded "C"

0 0%
  • Never read

1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Group 3: The Talisman (1984)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Group 3: The Talisman (1984)

The Talisman, 1984

Please grade The Talisman in the following three areas using the grades A, B, or C:
    • Quality of the Writing
    • Strength of Plot
    • Character Development

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure to select only one grade in each grading area. For complete (though slightly outdated) instructions, see this post.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

BBA
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    BBA
    is that A because of Wolf?

mine is BBB, because he alone can't carry a whole one-thousand-word novel on his lupine shoulders

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

BAA for me.

Would have been AAA if not for Straub's knack for going on and on with description at times. And yes, I can blame him for that. I've read enough King to know that he never runs on and on with unnecessary detail.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

he does, in Lisey's Story, that Kennedy novel whose title I don't have the patience to type, and Bag of Bones, to name only a few

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Hey! I'll give you Lisey's Story. I don't agree with the others.

Country
    Country Flag

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is why my wife hates Straub. She won't even give Black House the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    BAA for me.

Would have been AAA if not for Straub's knack for going on and on with description at times. And yes, I can blame him for that. I've read enough King to know that he never runs on and on with unnecessary detail.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Black House was sooooo much better.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

totally

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    That is why my wife hates Straub. She won't even give Black House the time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    BAA for me.

I had to read Black House just to see where the story went since I loved The Talisman so much.
    But yeah. Straub knows how to bore you with the details.

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Black House was sooooo much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    totally
    False.

Country
    Country Flag

Staub problem is that he doesn't know how to tell a story. He starts strong, and then doesn't seem to know what to do about it, or how to make it entertaining. It's been like this with all the books I've read by him - with the single exception of BH (thanks to Sai King, no doubt)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm the same way, Jean. I've read several Straub books--Ghost Story, Floating Dragon, Koko, and The Talisman. Despite promise, I don't think any of them lived up to their potential (or reputation).

Except Black House, which is just all sorts of awesome. I credit King.

Country
    Country Flag

I liked A Dark Matter more than anything I've read by Straub. I even think I can recommend it. Although it too becomes more and more disjointed as it progresses.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. This is my favorite Straub book but I had a difficult time making my way to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I liked A Dark Matter more than anything I've read by Straub. I even think I can recommend it. Although it too becomes more and more disjointed as it progresses.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. This round The Talisman has earned an OAG (overall average grade) of 2.543859649 or 84.80% in addition to its FAS (final average score), making it 6.693859649 or 83.67%.

Grade breakdown:
    Quality of the Writing: A - 2.473684211 (82.46%)
    Strength of Plot: A - 2.578947368 (85.96%)
    Character Development: A - 2.578947368 (85.96%)

+ Reply to Thread