7 30.43%

3 13.04%

2 8.70%

1 4.35%

0 0%
  • Never read

2 8.70%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #12: Blockade Billy (2010)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #12: Blockade Billy (2010)

Blockade Billy, 2010

Please vote for Blockade Billy using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

sk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

never read

I would start it right now, but I still have about 40 per cent of Storm of the Century to go...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Least favorite S/K book of all time, right next to TGWLTG.... BLAH
    Horribly predictable.
    After closing the back cover of BBilly, I realized I just grew older, I will never get that time back, gone forever.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I’ll give it a 3. Ok for a quick read but nothing remarkable.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    right next to TGWLTG.... .
    now I am interested, TGWLTG being one of my favorites

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it. 3.5 for the story and writing. Add 0.5 for the subject matter (baseball!)

Vote = 4.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    is there very much baseball in the book? does one have to understand the rules or (God forbid) to be a fan to read it?

You'd hate it, jean. It's all baseball (as the plot element).

Country
    Country Flag

ah! I see. This is the answer to my question about BB, which I posted in Faithful thread by mistake.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not a fan of baseball at all and I really liked this book.

Country
    Country Flag

but you do know the rules?

Country
    Country Flag

I don't, not really. I know the sport in very very general terms. I'm sure you could learn as much if not more from Wikipedia or a YouTube video.

Country
    Country Flag

so, one must know something to read the book... just as divemaster said.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

Disclaimer: I am a baptized member of the First Free Will Congregationalist Church of Baseball.

I loved this story, because -- in addition to a great plot -- it conveyed a true picture of the game. (I could almost smell the horsehide on the baseball.) 4.5.

Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I'm sure you know enough about baseball, more than you realize. You've read King's novels with many baseball references, you've certainly seen lots of movies and TV shows with baseball references, so you know what baseball generally is. That's all you need. You don't need to know how the score is kept and so on.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Jean, I'm sure you know enough about baseball, more than you realize. You've read King's novels with many baseball references
    I disregarded these parts

you've certainly seen lots of movies
    I closed my eyes

and TV shows with baseball references,
    never

so you know what baseball generally is.
    No, I don't.

thank you for the video anyway! I'll ask if I have any questions

ETA: they lost me after three minutes. I'll try again later.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Plot ?
    Maybe I'm a little confused (wouldn't be the first time) ... this is the one about the catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Campbell View Post
    Disclaimer: I am a baptized member of the First Free Will Congregationalist Church of Baseball.

I loved this story, because -- in addition to a great plot -- it conveyed a true picture of the game. (I could almost smell the horsehide on the baseball.) 4.5.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Great Plot ?
    Maybe I'm a little confused (wouldn't be the first time) ... this is the one about the catcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Campbell View Post

Yep, it's about the catcher. I thought the plot was engaging (albeit, short).

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

3. Like popcorn, I consumed it, but later needed to "clean out" the fragments.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    never read

I would start it right now, but I still have about 40 per cent of Storm of the Century to go...
    It only takes about 20 minutes to read.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

pablo's video was only 8 minutes long, and three first minutes killed me

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't give it more than 2.5 and not just because baseball is not my thing.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Blockade Billy has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.119047619 or 62.38%. It received a rating of 3 with 7 votes.

+ Reply to Thread