2 8.00%

1 4.00%

0 0%

1 4.00%
  • Never read

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bracket #12: Under the Dome (2009)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Don't understand the political backlash about this story. IT. IS. FUCKING. FICTION. Get over it.
    Are you telling me (actually, yelling) for me to get over my opinion? Like I'm not allowed to voice an opinion of what biases an author might bring to a work of fiction? Is that what you are telling me? For a book I rated 4.5 out of 5, by the way?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I just dont understand why people take it personally. I don't care what you rate the book. Give it a zero. I could literally not care less. And my comment was not directed at you personally. Almost all of the criticism that I have heard about this book has been directly related to their political views. King has been demonized for demonizing a republican. Awefully sensitive group as your response demonstrates. They added two lesbian characters in the tv series and polished up big Jim's character for the tv series so that it would not be politically offensive to either side. It is simply a work of fiction, and I think that Big Jim's character was effectively drawn. He comes off exactly how I think King wanted him to be. And from a small west texas town, I have known several town officials that are Big Jim personified. My point was that it is a work of fiction. I don't think had a political aggenda. And if you took offense to my statement.....well I probably wont sleep. Though I didnt mean it as a personal attack.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dearly hope that two of my most respected and loved people are not going to quarrel and will find a way out of the present misunderstanding

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It just seemed like he was saying fiction should never come with a political backlash. Tell that to Swift, or Dickens, or Twain, or Voltaire, or a myriad of other authors. If an author wants to make politics or religion a part of his story, then people should be able to comment on it without being told, in effect, to just shut up already. I'm not the one who made a point of the character's politics or weird anti-Christian, Christian mindset. That was King. As readers, we should be free to add that to the mix of our interpretation/enjoyment of the work.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

That is like judging the merit of To Kill A Mockingbird because you don't like racism. My point is and has been that the value of the book or the quality of the writing (and I am aware that you gave the book a 4.5 out of 5, and again, my comment was not directed at you personally as there has been a great deal of discussion about the political aspects of this book) should not hinge on the political or religious values that one of the characters possesses within that work of fiction.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Under the Dome has earned a FAS (final average score) of 4.145833333 or 82.92%. It received a rating of 4.5 with 8 votes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2