Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Collectible Books that Others Love (but you secretly hate) - and vice versa

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love The Stand S/L...I read the preface in it just last night, and felt all warm and happy doing so.

The Regulators S/L...secretly hate..not even signed by King in his own name, he's just written in them. Bullets are a gimmick...

Please don't ban me.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post
    The Regulators S/L...secretly hate..not even signed by King in his own name, he's just written in them. Bullets are a gimmick...

Please don't ban me.
    Don't worry. The thread is intended to bring out these feelings in SK Collectors. You are in a safe room. No one will harm you here. Bare your soul...

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah well seeing as I have permission... the whole concept of Bachman being dead and couldn't sign. Great idea, and the cheques I do like but King is a 'horror story' author or whatever badge he dislikes, so in my mind being dead doesn't cut it, he could have risen from the grave, and scraped his name in blood!! Death is not an excuse/barrier!!

As for Joyland, another guilty pleasure, as is Buick, and The Shining (the original S/L)

Edited to add...

I love the stand because it is an amazing story wrapped in the most beautiful cover, and coffin that looks and feels pure quality. Strangely some (at least one above) don't like it...go figure.

as for Joyland, well, the story seems to me King flexing his writing skills within a traditional 'ghost' story / haunted funfair / love story. I love the limited edition for the sheer simplistic production, no frills design, and release at an unheard of price. I recall some thought it cheap but I like the design and the story not that engaging. I liked it immensely, much more than the highly anticipated 2nd release that year.

Regulators for the above.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Once again-It needs to be what most other collectors adore, but you dislike (not a guilty pleasure). Otherwise the thread doesn't work.

"They love it, I don't".

Then explain.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like the PS reprints made here in the UK and I know not everyone does. I like them mainly because they're small and kinda book sized.

Having some King books sized 6ft by 3ft is great but it's nice to be fucking normal sometimes.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I secretly hate and never plan to own the DT S/L. I found the story kinda dull and the limited editions do not offer enough for me. That said one of my favorite limited editions everyone seems to pass off is the Desperation S/L. I think Grant did a marvelous job on that book and have thought about buying up everyone that pops up for sale around the original price just because I like it so much. (I still only have one. Have not convinced the other half to let me buy more than one.)

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen the attraction of S/L's where King just wrote the introduction. I mean, if you are buying it for the original Author, I understand. For example Frankenstein and The Girl Next Door.

I guess its just my way of drawing the line somewhere.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've never cared for The Talisman S/L. The colors and art used do absolutely nothing for me.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    I've never seen the attraction of S/L's where King just wrote the introduction. I mean, if you are buying it for the original Author, I understand. For example Frankenstein and The Girl Next Door.

I guess its just my way of drawing the line somewhere.
    I agree, and draw the same line. I think that's probably why they generally sell at a consistently lower price than a straight-up King S/L...

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I really don't like lettered books that are exactly like the numbered edition. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I want something spectacular! They may be more "rare" but I don't see the attraction (unless you've gotten a deal, of course )
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I really don't like lettered books that are exactly like the numbered edition. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I want something spectacular! They may be more "rare" but I don't see the attraction (unless you've gotten a deal, of course )
    I agree.... I feel the same way. I also don't like when the letter is totally unattainable. I will never go for a total lettered collection. S/L I am after and VERY close but will never for for the lettered.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I can't tell you how much I agree with you there. If the only difference is a letter versus a number, no bueno. Same edition, different stroke of the ink or pencil on the limitation page.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love The Stand S/L...I read the preface in it just last night, and felt all warm and happy doing so.

Please don't ban me.
    Agree about The Regulators S/L. The whole bullet thing looks gaudy as hell to me. I do, however, dig how and who the checks are made out to.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I've never cared for The Talisman S/L. The colors and art used do absolutely nothing for me.
    That would be my pick as well, and for the reasons mentioned.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

Please don't ban me.
    Agree about The Regulators S/L. The whole bullet thing looks gaudy as hell to me. I do, however, dig how and who the checks are made out to.
    I am at a loss for words how anyone can find those bullets "gaudy". It is brilliant and different... more so than any other lettered done.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Please don't ban me.
    I am at a loss for words how anyone can find those bullets "gaudy". It is brilliant and different... more so than any other lettered done.
    Well, I'm just a lowly collector with one signed SK book to his name. WTF do I know......
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Please don't ban me.
    Well, I'm just a lowly collector with one signed SK book to his name. WTF do I know......
    ? Just giving my thoughts mate. Thats all, I wasn't bashing you.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

No worries. Opinions are like elbows; most folks have at least two. Both posting within the perimeters of the thread.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Please don't ban me.
    I sort of agree with this as well. The idea is cool but the execution just looks like someone glued some bullets to a book.

Country
    Country Flag

The primer end of the shell doesn't bother me so much. Just the way the bullets are made to look like they protrude through the cover. I don't know. Cheapens it I guess. Anyway, moving on

P.S. Apologize, Kris if I came across as a dick. I just really dislike the looks of the one particular cover

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the look of the lettered Regulators. Is it ostentatious? YES. Is it an outrageous concept executed very well? YES.
    Is it to everyone's taste? No.

That's what this thread is for-not to debate who is right or wrong, but to hear why a person likes/dislikes something. It's very insightful.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course the go-to hate (previously mentioned), is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon S/L (and purportedly 15 lettered-This is where Gerald comes in and produces one) was the biggest money grab. King didn't even write the exact verbiage in the "kids book".
    Credit for the fold-out execution, but that was done on the trade also so it isn't a One-of-a-kind collectible.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was disappointed when I got the Regulators S/L. I love the idea of the cheque. But it's basically the 1st edition Regs. In a box...

Edit: (Man, that felt cathartic. This thread may be the therapy I need..!)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Tower. I understand the appeal of the "cool factor" and the thrill of chasing down your number but they're just plain, boring books.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    The Dark Tower. I understand the appeal of the "cool factor" and the thrill of chasing down your number but they're just plain, boring books.
    The first 7 yeah... .other than the artwork is FANTASTIC.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast