Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Collectible Books that Others Love (but you secretly hate) - and vice versa

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default Collectible Books that Others Love (but you secretly hate) - and vice versa

'Just for shit & giggles' as some of my Anglophone friends here would say. The title is pretty self-explanatory. A little tongue-in-cheekness is allowed, of course. But be honest!

Which collectible King books that everyone seems to love just don't do it for you? And which books that no one likes make your heart beat a little faster?

Everybody loves them but I've always been majorly underwhelmed by the shiny limited editions that Cemetery Dance produces, especially those gaudy lettereds in their satin-lined boxes. Too much fluff! And - blasphemy! - I hate the gift edition of IT, simply because I can't get past the fugly brown slipcase! I'm not a collector of limited editions but I've owned a few and to me the best ones are the understated editions like Dolan's Cadillac, Six Stories, The Plant and 'Salem's Lot.

I love those old, plain proofs that most here don't even consider collectibles because they look like nothing on your bookshelf. And I'll take my boring UK Night Shift over a 'coffin' Stand any day. There you have it!

Who's next?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Faithful

What absolute drivel. This book was meant to be burned by everyone who is not a Red Sux fan and even a few who are. I have!!! 86 years and suddenly you discover a spiritual aspect? You suck, move on!!!! 27 Championships, baby!!!! Take your place in line, which is waaaayyy down the line!!! You sold "Babe Ruth" to finance "No, No, Nannette"!!!! LOL LOL LOL

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think FAITHFUL is cool, even though I've never read it. I don't claim to be a fan of the team. I just like underdog success stories.

On a side note, I don't get why Bill is such a sore loser.

Spoiler:

I have a hard time with the cost of the S/L of DANSE MACABRE because it just doesn't look like I'd be getting much for the market price, so I don't own one.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think FAITHFUL is cool, even though I've never read it. I don't claim to be a fan of the team. I just like underdog success stories.

On a side note, I don't get why Bill is such a sore loser.

Spoiler:

I have a hard time with the cost of the S/L of DANSE MACABRE because it just doesn't look like I'd be getting much for the market price, so I don't own one.
    Patrick, you know I love and respect you, but you have to admit you saw this coming, right?

Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I figured those emoticons were likely headed my way.

On topic:

A couple books I love that I know are disliked by some: SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volumes I & II. I think these S/L's are really cool. Chadbourne overload and all.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yes, I figured those emoticons were likely headed my way.

On topic:

A couple books I love that I know are disliked by some: SECRETARY OF DREAMS, Volumes I & II. I think these S/L's are really cool. Chadbourne overload and all.
    I really treasure the SOD books as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I tend to love collecting personally-inscribed (and not to me) signatures more than S/L's, even though I know S/L are more collectible. I like S/L's but I prefer personally inscribed, and especially inscriptions that are lengthy or funny or unique. I also have a thing for collecting signed damaged/old books for cheap, not in collectible quality, and fixing them up a little. I also agree with biomeg - I think the old proofs look better than the S/L "coffin" Stand.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Six Stories. I don't get why people go so crazy for a paperback.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

As for favorites, I live Grant's black traycase editions. My favorite limiteds are Prime Evil, Black House, and The Crow (not SK). I get more satisfaction out of my Black House SL than I do out out my Talisman SL, and the Dark Tower SL I want more than any other is LSOE. I love things that tell a story; one of my Black House SLs was owned by Peter Straub, and I have an issue of Castle Rick that was sent to Donald Grant. I have the first book ever published by DMG, a bibliography of Edgar Rice Burroughs, inscribed by the author (Henry Heins) to Robert E. Briney, who was also a fantasy/sf bibliographer and wrote an introduction to a later DMG book. The Burroughs bibliography contains a letter from Heins explaining that the book would be delayed (again) because Mr. Grant couldn't get his act together. I like connections, bits and pieces that fit together, even if they only have meaning to me. I love my copy of DT III with a drawing of a rose in it, probably more than my DT III SL. Last night I bought a Dameron sketch on ebay; the seller had it listed as "unpublished", but I recognized it as a prelim for one of the paintings in a Grant book (either Kull or Face in the Abyss), and I love that this hobby gives me a fun way to apply my skill for remembering bits of trivia.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Old NEL and FUTURA paperbacks simply for nostalgia reasons. Standing as a teenager in the horror section of John Menzies News Agents looking at the King paperbacks really gave me a buzz when I was 14. Choosing one to buy was even better! Collecting these old, worthless books with the cool covers again is really pleasurable for me

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    Old NEL and FUTURA paperbacks simply for nostalgia reasons. Standing as a teenager in the horror section of John Menzies News Agents looking at the King paperbacks really gave me a buzz when I was 14. Choosing one to buy was even better! Collecting these old, worthless books with the cool covers again is really pleasurable for me
    I do this too! The original UK paperback of "IT", the hardback UK omnibus of Misery/The Shining/Carrie, and the UK paperback of "Gerald's Game" with the little cabin in the woods on the front and the line "Words are his power" - the editions I first read in other words as a kid and teen, massive nostalgia!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Most others probably don't get thrilled by them, but I really like all three editions of "Dolan's Cadillac". Though really just glorified chapbooks, I just love the covers, the paper stock, even the fonts.
    I hate the S/L Gunslinger. ~$5K and it (other than 1 page) is the same as the trade.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

I was so unimpressed by the signed editions of Subterranean Press' THE GREEN MILE that I sold both. The limited was nice but was way overpriced and the lettered did nothing for me - cloth bound and a tiny piece of original art - big whoop! To paraphrase Edmund Blackadder - a lettered edition not bound in leather is like a broken pencil...pointless.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello. My name is George, and I'm an addict. I'm addicted to remarques (every book should have one), proofs, and S/Ls. One of my favorite books is an ex-library edition of Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I write inside my trades and paperbacks every day as I'm reading them, and have done so for most of my life, they act like a diary. I don't like pre-printed autographs; I just don't see the point. The same goes for liver, brussel sprouts, okra, and collard greens.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Talisman S/L....blah.

Looks like it belongs on the table at a nursing home......

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Except for a duly notated dedicated fundraiser..... remarque's in 1st/1st trade editions feel so wrong to me.
    Don't get me wrong, some are "very" nice but please save the remarque for the specialty publisher gift editions.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I love my personalized SK books although I know that most prefer flat signed. I'm not fond of owning paperback books (except arcs), although the art is usually cool - someday I might pick up the Bachman books but I won't be happy about it. Finally, I think the S/L Gunslinger is way overpriced for what it is. I have a 2x signed first in fine condition that I'm just as happy with.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    and the Dark Tower SL I want more than any other is LSOE.
    One of my favorites too. The oily silver effect on the traycase is beautiful, and Whelan is a badass.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My pet hate is that damned (Shining/'salem's Lot/Night Shift/Carrie) omnibus edition. Why does it rate being in the 1st edition listing when no other omnibus editions get included?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Except for a duly notated dedicated fundraiser..... remarque's in 1st/1st trade editions feel so wrong to me.
    Don't get me wrong, some are "very" nice but please save the remarque for the specialty publisher gift editions.
    I have no problems with remarques in trade editions, but for me, any remarque done in a book that was not illustrated by the artist adding the remarque is something I dislike......ok hate.

I am fine with Michael Whelan doing a remarque in a 1st trade edition of The Dark Tower, or Ned Dameron doing one in a 1st trade edition of The Waste Lands, but would hate a Bernie Wrightson Remarque in a 1st trade edition of From a Buick 8 (even if he was the illustrator of the GE and SL), or a Glenn Chadbourne remarque in a GE of Doctor Sleep. I also don't want Vincent Chong putting a remarque in my 1st edition of The Shining....but would be fine with Dave Christensen since he was the cover artist (I had to look that up....the catalog is my friend).

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    I don't like pre-printed autographs; I just don't see the point.
    I am right there with you. I don't own a single King book with a facsimile signature (I don't count Pet Semetary, which has an embossed signature on the cover).
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

The signature on the cover of Pet Semetary isn't real? But the guy on Ebay assured me it was

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Same with the signatures in the back of my Talisman paperback.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

My Mood
    Breezy

The only pre-printed aka facsimile autograph I like is the one in the UK "Christmas Gift" limited edition of DOLORES CLAIBORNE. I don't know, it looks more "real" - maybe because it's in blue ink on a bookplate? But yeah, don't see the point in them.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I only had to give this topic about one second of thought (or less). Without a doubt my most hated S/L that some really like is Secretary of Dreams. IMO, that was a book that never needed to be published. The only other book that had less need to be published was.....wait for it.......Secretary of Dreams, Vol. 2. All the stories had been published elsewhere and the artwork......well, to me it is somewhat juvenile. I have never made it all the way through reading even one story. Honestly, IMO, it is just inane.

On the other hand I really like the Grant editions of The Talisman and Prime Evil. Not sure why they get dissed sometimes. The artwork in both really makes it for me. Lots of different artists....all with talent.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I really don't care for the LSOE and the WTTKW limited editions. I really would have preferred them being done in a similar size and fashion to the rest of the Dark Tower series. They just don't fit in with the rest!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast