7 33.33%
  • The Thing

6 28.57%
  • The Changeling

1 4.76%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Horror - Round 1 - Group 13

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I'm torn between The Devil's Backbone and The Thing.
    Go with Audition!
    Sorry to say but I wasn't a fan.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Divemaster, what's your top 5 Asian horror films?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It seems I have to watch it once again. I don't even remember the plot. All I remember is that I had that feeling that the author is talking to me (directly) about what exactly is wrong with human existence; the same goes, for example, for Cold Fish. When I have this feeling, I immediately place the film in "just films" category.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gosh, that's tough. I'll go with:

A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean)
    Bio-Zombie (sortof a comedy horror, like Re-Animator or something; from Hong Kong)
    Cure (Japanese)
    Ju-on (Japanese)
    Some (Korean)

The 1964 Japanese film Kaidan (Kwaidan) is a very good "ghost anthology."

I liked the Japanese films Junk and Dark Water, and a slew of Korean efforts like The Wig, Memento Mori, Wishing Stairs, Bunshinsaba, Spider Forest, and R-Point, but not in top-10 land.
    I don't consider films like Oldboy and Tell Me Something to be horror per se, but they would be up there.

There's also a lot of B-grade Hong Kong stuff I like a lot with at least some element of horror. Mr. Vampire, The Seventh Curse; The Eternal Evil of Asia (category III!); The Eye

It seems like I watched some Thai horror movie a year or so back that I liked but I can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Inevitably I've forgotten something that would be way up there on my list.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    It seems I have to watch it once again. I don't even remember the plot. All I remember is that I had that feeling that the author is talking to me (directly) about what exactly is wrong with human existence; the same goes, for example, for Cold Fish. When I have this feeling, I immediately place the film in "just films" category.
    I think its strength lies in the change-up that happens about two-thirds in. Since I watched it the first time without knowing anything about it, I was shocked and scared beyond belief.

Also, I really don't categorize films in any way. A film is a film, whether it's a drama, a comedy, an animated film, or a horror film. So it's all a matter of quality of the given film, whatever the genre.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I wanted to nominate that one but went with Onibaba. Have you seen that one?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears have seen both, and loved Kaidan more

re: divemaster's list - bears need to watch many of those...

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have not, but it is in my Netflix queue. Along with about 160 other films. I manage about 2 a week, so...one day...

Country
    Country Flag

bears have seen both, and loved Kaidan more

re: divemaster's list - bears need to watch many of those...
    Knowing what I gather about your tastes, I doubt you would like many of them. Of my top 5 list, I'm sure you would find Bio-Zombie ridiculous. Ju-on is great for "creepy mood" and horror tension but doesn't make much sense and there is very little character development. Some and Cure might be worth a shot. As would Spider Forest and Tell Me Something. The rest? Not so sure...

Country
    Country Flag

I rather liked Ju-on, but wasn't crazy about it

if you can think of anything like Tale of Two Sisters, let bears know!

Country
    Country Flag

Oldboy is great. Very much in line with Sisters in that mindfuck genre.

Country
    Country Flag

and bears don't absolutize the necessity of character development. In fact, the only guy who has to have a developed character in a movie is the director.

Bio-Zombie (sortof a comedy horror, like Re-Animator or something; from Hong Kong)
    Cure (Japanese)
    Ju-on (Japanese)
    Some (Korean)

I liked the Japanese films Junk and Dark Water, and a slew of Korean efforts like The Wig, Memento Mori, Wishing Stairs, Bunshinsaba, Spider Forest, and R-Point, but not in top-10 land.
    I don't consider films like Oldboy and Tell Me Something to be horror per se, but they would be up there.

There's also a lot of B-grade Hong Kong stuff I like a lot with at least some element of horror. Mr. Vampire, The Seventh Curse; The Eternal Evil of Asia (category III!); The Eye

It seems like I watched some Thai horror movie a year or so back that I liked but I can't for the life of me recall what it was.

Thanks, I'll have to look up some of these that I haven't seen yet. I couldn't get into Ju-on, it was so confusing. I had no clue what was going on. It jumped from one story to another, and I hadn't even realized it hence the whole time I was lost trying to figure out who was who, and what was happening

Have you seen Infection? That was one that I really enjoyed.

Country
    Country Flag

if you can think of anything like Tale of Two Sisters, let bears know!
    I'll get back to you on that...but in the meantime, I know you are a fan of The Sixth Sense and The Others. Try Inner Senses. Seriously. This is a very well-done Hong Kong film, with a few creepy scares, a few jump scares, good tension, combined with a very touching story. In fact, I should have listed it in my top 5 Asian horror (as a psychological horror). It stars Leslie Cheung, and I believe it was his last film before he committed suicide.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316023/combined

Country
    Country Flag

great! started downloading

Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe Audition still has only two votes. What's going on?

Country
    Country Flag

well, at least The Exorcist will advance

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Exorcist of course, though if I had it to do over again, I'd give my vote to Stir of Echoes since Exorcist will have no problem moving on.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Vanishing is a true classic but I must go with Audition. I still hear that
    Spoiler:
    kiri kiri kiri
    and it makes my skin crawl.
    When I want to freak out my boyfriend, I make that sound. He likes to say he sleeps with one eye open!

I have not yet decided which to vote for. Audition totally freaked me out. Stir of Echoes is just fantastic (of course, it's Matheson so that helps!). The Thing was creepy. The Changeling was an amazing film. And of course there's The Exorcist.

Can't I vote for them all?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cure (Japanese)
    Ju-on (Japanese)
    Some (Korean)

Sweet! Some great Asian movies to look for!

As a side note, do you read any Asian horror? I recently sought out a few that were the basis for movies, and am looking for more ideas!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What about The Host?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Finally voted and went with The Devil's Backbone.

Country
    Country Flag

Ack! Need more Audition votes, people!

Country
    Country Flag

Finally voted and went with The Devil's Backbone.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Sweet! Some great Asian movies to look for!

As a side note, do you read any Asian horror? I recently sought out a few that were the basis for movies, and am looking for more ideas!
    Not exactly "horror," but I've always wanted to read Battle Royale (I loved the movie), but I'll probably never get around to it. As it is, my reading wishlist is longer than my movie wishlist. I need to live to be 800 years old to get through everything on my lists!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    What about The Host?
    Wasn't a huge fan. I actually saw this first-run at the theater; was not compelled to purchase the DVD afterward. Don't get me wrong; I liked it ok. I liked the characters and the dynamic of the family in peril. But I think they tried to cram in too many plot elements. Monster--good!; Government/virus conspiracy--ho-hum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast