Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fargo

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Fargo

Just watched the first episode tonight, and I loved it so, so much. Here's what I loved about it:
    • It's not a remake of the film, which is a great first step right there. The TV series and the film share absolutely nothing in plot. What they do share, however, is a great deal in tone and atmosphere: there's quirky characters, some gorgeous snow blanketed scenery and of course, some very, very dark humour mixed with violence throughout. This is the kind of tv adaptation I'd love to see happen more: something that avoids telling a story that a previous film or TV series did so well and instead tell a story all of its own while keeping the core elements of what made the original work so successful, which in most cases is the exact opposite what most remakes do.
    • Some really strong performances, including from Billy Bob Thornton as the mysterious stranger who arrives in a town to create some very evil mischief (the kind of story I always enjoy, which is why Needful Things is next on my 'to read' list), and of course what drew me to the show in the first place, Martin Freeman. It's interesting watching him here, as in some ways, it's a great deal similar to previous comedic performances, including oddly enough The Office, as he can be so fucking hilarious with just a single look, but there's also a great deal different here, as the incredibly wound up insurance salesman he plays here commits some truly terrible actions. It says a lot that even in the most terrible moments, you still end up finding yourself some sympathy towards him, a testament to both the quality of the writing and Freeman's acting.
    • The first episode alone is just cracking good television, filled with not just great characters and some of the great humour as I mentioned earlier, but also some really nasty shocks and moments you don't see coming. It's fantastic the false sense of security just the first episode provides at times, and it's definitely keeping me glued to the screen to find out what happens next.

It's nice to find a show that comes along that has a great deal of what you're looking for and you just know that you may very well have found another show to add to your "must-watch" list.

So what are everyone else's thoughts on it so far?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This show is the next True Dectective in terms of story telling. I hopes many others will follow. We need more TV this is designed to have a start and end... Not be drug out for many seasons. Well done on Fargo!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm loving it as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

James, I'm so glad you really enjoyed the first episode. I thought it was great too. I love how it has already taken some turns I wasn't expecting. Most shows would drag a lot of the story out, but they put a lot of it in the pilot.

Webstar is right, I think TV is going to start doing more limited series'. I know it's a lot harder to keep coming up with fresh new ideas, but I prefer that to dragging out some of the shows far past their expiration date. That being said, if Fargo does well, you will see a second season. Probably with new characters and a new story. Very much like True Detective and American Horror Story.

I don't want to change the subject, but FX has some pretty good shows right now. The Americans is a show I'm not sure I've heard anybody talk about here, but it's one of my "must-see" shows each week.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    James, I'm so glad you really enjoyed the first episode. I thought it was great too. I love how it has already taken some turns I wasn't expecting. Most shows would drag a lot of the story out, but they put a lot of it in the pilot.

Webstar is right, I think TV is going to start doing more limited series'. I know it's a lot harder to keep coming up with fresh new ideas, but I prefer that to dragging out some of the shows far past their expiration date. That being said, if Fargo does well, you will see a second season. Probably with new characters and a new story. Very much like True Detective and American Horror Story.

I don't want to change the subject, but FX has some pretty good shows right now. The Americans is a show I'm not sure I've heard anybody talk about here, but it's one of my "must-see" shows each week.

"Justified" is on "FX" as well, no? Awesome show and they also sport "SOA".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ditto on Fargo comments - I simply love it! And I am always looking to FX for great shows. SOA started it for me!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It has some great supporting actors: Kate Walsh was hilarious as the widow, and Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul) as the cop with the weak stomach.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Yup. SoA gets tons of attention though. Even Justified has grown in popularity. I think the Americans is under the radar right now.

I love Justified, but this past season was a little uneven if you ask me. Especially the first half. I haven't gotten into SoA yet at this point.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup. SoA gets tons of attention though. Even Justified has grown in popularity. I think the Americans is under the radar right now.

I love Justified, but this past season was a little uneven if you ask me. Especially the first half. I haven't gotten into SoA yet at this point.
    We seem to have a lot of the same taste in TV... I agree with you on Justified. As for Sons... It is some addictive. I can't wait for the final season. WELL WORTH a watch. Get into man... You will be glad you did!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I might watch this eventually, if only for Billy Bob. As for The Americans, the ads do nothing for me.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Watched the first episode today. Loved it!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just watched episode 4. Now, how amazing was that beginning? "God is real."

Spoiler:
    Since the series was announced, I was hoping that there would be some link to the original film and that the stories would share a universe so to speak. I've been really enjoying the story so far, but I appreciate the link between the two, especially as it's a relatively small link that still answers a major question. Gotta admit, I really appreciate it when completely different stories not only share the same universe, but also give you another perspective on a key event and characters - it's what made me such a massive Dark Tower fan in the first place - so finding out what happened to the money in a very natural and believable way to a main character's story was a plus for me.

Gotta say, this show is currently the only current show that I have to sit down and watch every week at the moment. I love the quirky characters, the slow burning, over-arcing plot, and especially the dark humour that nicely reflects the original film. Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton are especially excellent to watch, but all the other performances are great, especially the two hitmen who have silent conversations, those two are hysterical!

- Melike

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, this series has been absolutely wonderful and creepy funny!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally digging Fargo the series!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To be honest, I wasn't sure if I would like this show after the first episode but it has just been better every week so now I'm hooked. This episode was really great. Where the hell did those fish come from though?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    To be honest, I wasn't sure if I would like this show after the first episode but it has just been better every week so now I'm hooked. This episode was really great. Where the hell did those fish come from though?
    I have a feeling we will find out next week. This is supposed to be a "True" story. Ain't it amazing how weird life can be at time? I mean, come on!! LOL Being a true story, I wonder what their plans are for the future? Anyone savvy?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The "based on a true story" thing is a lie! The truth behind Fargo's 'true story'

...the opening explanation is an untruth ("The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 1987. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred"). But, in the internet dawn of 1996, only a handful of critics decided to check whether such a crime had happened in Minnesota less than a decade earlier. So the myth that Fargo's brutally violent plot really did happen pervaded.

The Coens stuck to the story during the promotion of their film, too. In an interview with Premiere in March 1996, Joel is quoted saying: "we wanted to try something based on a real story, and tell it in a way that was very pared down", before adding that the script was "pretty close" to the actual event.

However, his brother Ethan revealed the truth behind the 'true story' in the introduction to Fargo's published screenplay, the closing sentence of which read: "[the film] aims to be both homey and exotic, and pretends to be true."

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Holy shit, that last episode! How fucking amazing was that?

Spoiler:
    Seriously, they must've killed off half the fucking cast in that last ep!

I did feel sorry for Don, though. He got massively fucked by Lorne. Not surprising, in fact we've been pretty much expecting it since their strange arrangement began, but still, the way Lorne arranged for him to be killed by fucking cops was brutal.

Really can't wait for the next ep, that's for sure.

- Melike

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Can somebody explain to me why fish rained from the heavens?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why fish rained from the heavens?
    I guess there are two perspectives to answer that question: Was it a biblical plague as Stavros Milos the shopping center magnate guy obviously believed?

or was it a tornado sucked up all the fish from a lake and deposited it coincidentally right in dude's path... I forget where I heard that but it is spoken in dialogue somewhere in one of the episodes (maybe even the one following the fish storm). I remember distinctly someone saying that though. It may have been said in the police station. It is very quick and you may have missed it (or perhaps you havent seen that ep yet)

I am REALLY loving this season of Fargo.

I want to watch em all back to back when the season is completed.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

To my knowledge they have yet to explain the fish, which is really starting to piss me off. Especially with the one year jump out of nowhere.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

To my knowledge they have yet to explain the fish, which is really starting to piss me off. Especially with the one year jump out of nowhere.
    I heard one of the cops in the police station offer the explanation i said above. "a tornado hit and sucked the fish out of a lake and caused the rain of fish" of course that could be what they THOUGHT caused it and was just watercooler talk
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Especially with the one year jump out of nowhere.
    I feel this really worked. Fargo the series draws parallels with Fargo the movie without them being the same characters. The flash forward is kind of jarring but it was a clever way to get Molly to the same lumbering around, super pregnant state that Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand) was in the film.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719

Ancillary Justice #455

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    Especially with the one year jump out of nowhere.
    I feel this really worked. Fargo the series draws parallels with Fargo the movie without them being the same characters. The flash forward is kind of jarring but it was a clever way to get Molly to the same lumbering around, super pregnant state that Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand) was in the film.

I guess it was okay the way they FF, it was more that they appeared to have jumped over the fish incident, which to me deserved much more explanation than a casual remark. I don't recall the officers' remark either. I guess we trust they have a game plan as the series has been outstanding thus far.

Just, well I get nervous easy since "Lost" left a real bad taste in my mouth. It's hard to trust TV anymore.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The fish thing was "explained" on a TV in the background of another scene. The news anchor said the fish were probably picked up by a twister during the storm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast