Just watched the first episode tonight, and I loved it so, so much. Here's what I loved about it:
  • It's not a remake of the film, which is a great first step right there. The TV series and the film share absolutely nothing in plot. What they do share, however, is a great deal in tone and atmosphere: there's quirky characters, some gorgeous snow blanketed scenery and of course, some very, very dark humour mixed with violence throughout. This is the kind of tv adaptation I'd love to see happen more: something that avoids telling a story that a previous film or TV series did so well and instead tell a story all of its own while keeping the core elements of what made the original work so successful, which in most cases is the exact opposite what most remakes do.
  • Some really strong performances, including from Billy Bob Thornton as the mysterious stranger who arrives in a town to create some very evil mischief (the kind of story I always enjoy, which is why Needful Things is next on my 'to read' list), and of course what drew me to the show in the first place, Martin Freeman. It's interesting watching him here, as in some ways, it's a great deal similar to previous comedic performances, including oddly enough The Office, as he can be so fucking hilarious with just a single look, but there's also a great deal different here, as the incredibly wound up insurance salesman he plays here commits some truly terrible actions. It says a lot that even in the most terrible moments, you still end up finding yourself some sympathy towards him, a testament to both the quality of the writing and Freeman's acting.
  • The first episode alone is just cracking good television, filled with not just great characters and some of the great humour as I mentioned earlier, but also some really nasty shocks and moments you don't see coming. It's fantastic the false sense of security just the first episode provides at times, and it's definitely keeping me glued to the screen to find out what happens next.

It's nice to find a show that comes along that has a great deal of what you're looking for and you just know that you may very well have found another show to add to your "must-watch" list.

So what are everyone else's thoughts on it so far?