0 0%

0 0%

1 4.00%

1 4.00%
  • Never read

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #8: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #8: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, 1997

Please vote for The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved it. I thought seeing how Roland became a man and the character development of his childhood friends was spot on... oh how I wish there were more books about thier adventures in the start of their quest...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably my only zero.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

pablo!!! but the Blaine part is also in this book! and the final ka-tet talk. And however abysmal the Mejis adventures of a teenaged Roland with the local cheerleader are, there's also the battle in the canyon... and that scene in the bar... and quite a lot of those little things that (even in spite of the pathetic character of Rhea etc) are quite satisfactory

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Probably my only zero.
    0?????????????????????????????????? Wow... I don't know of any King book that deserves that...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

One of my least favorite in the series however there are some truly awesome sections.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    pablo!!! but the Blaine part is also in this book! and the final ka-tet talk. And however abysmal the Mejis adventures of a teenaged Roland with the local cheerleader are, there's also the battle in the canyon... and that scene in the bar... and quite a lot of those little things that (even in spite of the pathetic character of Rhea etc) are quite satisfactory
    Sorry. It was such arduous work to get through this novel. The next one wasn't much better, but at least there was something. Here, apart from very few good but fleeting moments, it was DULL DULL DULL.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Not my favorite of the DT series, but still...

Country
    Country Flag

<...>The next one wasn't much better <...>
    PABLO!!!!!!!!! you're talking about bears' absolute favorite here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

PABLO!!!!!!!!! you're talking about bears' absolute favorite here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All that hay-jumping?

Country
    Country Flag

: firmly :

Yes.

Gunslinger Apprentice Groomp will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

And fortunes and Doctor dooms...loved it.

All that hay-jumping?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I’ve gone back and forth on this book over the years. I was just getting into the DT series when it first came out. When I read it I was upset that it barely advanced the main story at all.

Now that the series is over and I’ve re-read it a few times, I kind of enjoy it. It’s solidly in the top half of my overall list, so I gave it a 4.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Absolute 5 for me. Not only my favorite Dark Tower book, but one of my favorite books, regardless of author. I've re-read it more than any other DT installment. I love the backstory and all the Meijis stuff. The love story hit me totally the right way (I have a soft spot for stories of unrequited or star-crossed love). Everything about this book is perfection.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Absolute 5 for me. Not only my favorite Dark Tower book, but one of my favorite books, regardless of author. I've re-read it more than any other DT installment. I love the backstory and all the Meijis stuff. The love story hit me totally the right way (I have a soft spot for stories of unrequited or star-crossed love). Everything about this book is perfection.
    You... have made my day. Not teasing today my good friend. I totally agree with you....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I mentioned this somewhere before, but listening to this as an Audio book, totally changed it for me. I read pretty quickly and have a tendency to almost speed read the first time through a book. Initial readings of this were all about the main story line and getting back to it and I found the backstory a painful diversion. In fact there have been a couple of early DT re-reads where I would skip the majority of the book and miss out the whole Mejis story altogether.

I am older and (a little) wiser now and find that having the story narrated at a slower pace, really allows you to submerge yourself in the young Roland and his tumultuous affair with the 'Lovely girl at the window'. A veritable 5 for me now, all day long.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Favorite DT book. King at his best.
    Went right to the heart.

sk

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

The backstory did very little for me and everytime I read this book I find myself speed reading to get to the part(s) I like. Good book but it didn't manage to grab me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andrew Campbell is on a distinguished road Andrew Campbell's Avatar

An easy "5". Neck-and-neck with Wolves of Calla as the strongest of the DT novels.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

There seems to be more controversy about this book than any other SK work. People either love it or hate it. I'm in the love it group. Followed closely by Wolves. I don't think I can give any SK book a zero. For me, a zero would have to be a book that I simply couldn't finish. One that has no redeaming value whatsoever. I can't designate any SK novel as completely worthless, even Lisey's Story.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    People either love it or hate it..
    People, maybe. Bears love some parts and are indifferent to, or mildly annoyed by, others.

Country
    Country Flag

I never understood why it is liked so much. It ranked 19th overall the last two CRAs, and before that it came in 16th. The whole book could've just been slimmed down by about half and maybe it would make some more sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast