2 7.69%

2 7.69%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • Never read

4 15.38%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bracket #6: Four Past Midnight (1990)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #6: Four Past Midnight (1990)

Four Past Midnight, 1990

Please vote for Four Past Midnight using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Every story was at least "good" or "very good." None was lame or a clunker.

My favorite was Secret Window, Secret Garden, followed closely by The Langoliers and The Sun Dog. The Library Policeman lags the list but I still liked it fairly well. So, maybe 4.5, 4, 4, and 3.5 (using the 5-point scale). Comes out to a vote of 4.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another 4.5!

sk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

5+ to The Sun Dog, 4 to the rest

The Sun Dog is how I wish all King books were written

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, all over the place so far for this one. The Langoliers is awesome, just for that this gets a five. The rest were all very good, but that one is a classic.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

And that's pretty much based off of my love for Secret Window, Secret Garden.
    I don't recall any of the other stories affecting me.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

3.5. Loved the Langoliers, liked SWSG, barely remember the other two.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Along the Path of the Beam JulesH will become famous soon enough JulesH's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

3 very good stories and 1 excellent (The Langoliers). A solid 4.5.
    Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage. Ray Bradbury

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A fine book.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I had to vote as never read. The only story out of this book I've read was Secret Window, Secret Garden (which I absolutely loved, and is probably one of my favorites).
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what stopped you from reading the others? they are all good, The Langoliers a King classic, The Library Policeman a wonderful story, a little ruined by the denouement, but the same can be said of much King; and The Sun Dog my personal favorite.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm not sure. I read Secret Window, Secret Garden prior to the film coming out. I've actually had the book for ages, but just haven't gotten around to reading the rest yet.

Is The Langoliers, anything like the film? Because of that, it's kind of put me off from reading that particular story.

Country
    Country Flag

bears haven't seen the film
    '
    but they have never seen a King film that wouldn't be pathetic comparing with the book. (Yes, Shawshank too. It's a decent film, but the novella is tops.)

Maybe I'll pick it up and start with The Sun Dog. Maybe a shorter story is what I need to get rid of my readers block.

Country
    Country Flag

I so hope you'll love it! it's usually underrated, but for me it's what King is about and what he's been gradually losing

Re, The Langoliers. Sometimes when I've seen the film, the images standout in my mind as I'm trying to read the book. And I'm worried that I'll just keep picturing that annoying young girl, and Balki

Country
    Country Flag

can you expel it from your mind? with an enormous effort of willpower?

"Push!... Push!..."
    (a quote from ANY horror film with childbirth, except Rosemary's Baby)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The Langoliers film is probably the most faithful adaption of a King story I’ve ever seen. You can just about read along with the story while watching the movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Four Past Midnight has earned a FAS (final average score) of 3.886363636 or 77.73%. It received a rating of 4.5 with 6 votes.

+ Reply to Thread