Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: House of Cards

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default House of Cards

Has anybody else watched this? I'm halfway through the first season on Netflix, and enjoying it immensely. Kevin Spacey is great as Frank Underwood. I love the dirty politics, the spin tactics, and the ruthlessness behind some of the characters, protagonist Underwood especially. I also like how we're seeing the politics from so many sides, including journalists and even the citizens who get caught in the crossfire of continually conflicting ambitions.

I also love just how fucking hysterical the series can be at times, particularly with Underwood's ongoing narration of events (giving a speech about how great his father was and how much he grieved his passing to an audience, before turning to us as the audience and informing us that actually, he didn't rate his father that much, but the truth isn't as great a speech, is one brilliant example). A problem I have with some shows and films is that the writers are too focused on serious drama while seeming to forget that funny things can happen in life as well as terrible and tragic things, so it's fantastic that as dark as this drama can get at times, it's also not afraid to lighten things up a bit. In fact, at times, it reminds me of one of my favourite series The Thick of It (a satire that walks as close to dark drama as House of Cards walks as close to satire), particularly one cringe inducing moment that Underwood has on TV (you'll know it when you see it).

To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like this show as much as I would, considering it's a remake of a British classic, although I knew its chances of being decent at least were good considering (a) UK and US politics are very different beasts (superficially, at least) and (b) it's been over twenty years since the original House of Cards mini-series was broadcast, and technology has changed so many aspects of politics and journalism, particularly the use of the Internet. But House of Cards (US) is that rare thing: an adaptation that takes the core elements what made the original series so successful - including the dirty politics and the ruthlessness of the power hungry villain protagonist - while telling a fresh story of its own. To be honest, I don't even try to compare them, and that's incredibly rare. (I will say that I do prefer Ian Richardson's Francis Urquhart in the original series, as he was arguably more charming and more vile than Underwood, but like I said, Spacey is still excellent in the role he's in.) Honestly, it's one of my favourite American adaptations I've seen since The Office. Probably even better.

So has anyone else checked this out? Or anyone planning to watch it?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Watched 1st season a couple of months ago and 2nd season recently. I also saw the UK version when it first ran back in about 1990. Francis and Claire are a fascinating couple, and you just have to wonder how close to the truth it is. How much of your soul (assuming you have one to begin with!) do you have to sell to get anything done in Washington? How much gets done on the floor of the House vs via back channels and side deals?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really want to start the U.S. version but between school and the amount of shows I'm watching, I don't have the time to start another.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Watched 1st season a couple of months ago and 2nd season recently. I also saw the UK version when it first ran back in about 1990. Francis and Claire are a fascinating couple, and you just have to wonder how close to the truth it is. How much of your soul (assuming you have one to begin with!) do you have to sell to get anything done in Washington? How much gets done on the floor of the House vs via back channels and side deals?
    That's why I love both series SO much. Have you watched The Thick of It, Bev? Despite being written as a comedy, it does explore similar themes of politicians doing anything they can to hold onto power, including selling other people out. Also, agreed on how fascinating a couple Francis and Claire were. So, so wrong on quite a few levels (especially the fact that she called him 'Daddy'), but that's what I loved about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I really want to start the U.S. version but between school and the amount of shows I'm watching, I don't have the time to start another.
    Oh that's a shame, Ricky, but understandable. I'm only starting to catch up on Hannibal and season 2 of Game of Thrones, myself, but House of Cards is currently the most engrossing show for me to watch. And your avatar reminds me: I'll need to check out Bates Motel soon, possibly when I'm all caught up on Hannibal at least.

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I haven't seen (or indeed even heard of) The Thick of It. There are some interesting developments in their relationship in S2.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's definitely worth a watch - it's the show that Peter Capaldi was most famous for in the UK before getting the part of the Doctor, playing manipulative spin doctor Malcolm Tucker, abusing politicians and generally using a lot of creative swearing ("What the fuck is this? Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, C**t?" is one of my personal favourites). In the Loop is kind of a film version of it featuring the same character, but focusing more on UK/US political relations. Either's worth a look. The show pretty much made Capaldi one of my favourite actors, so you can imagine how excited I am about his latest role.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Frank/Zoe's relationship in season 2. I've also started watching The Final Cut, the final mini-series of the original UK trilogy. I'll be interested to see in how Urquhart's story ends, that's for sure.

- Melike

Frank and Zoe get really interesting in S2.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This will be the next show I start. Have heard nothing but good things.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, Fernando.

By the way, just finished the original trilogy. I'm now sad that, as great as the US version is (in some ways, even superior to the original), I have no more to watch of Ian Richardson as the magnificent bastard that is Francis Urquhart. Still, like I said, at least the remake is so darn good that it does make things a little easier.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished season 1. Think I'll start season 2 very, very soon. Absolutely amazed at how great this show is, and I'm also liking how much more complex Frank's and Zoe's relationship is starting to become. Think I might re-watch the original mini-series soon as well. Richardson was such a great villainous actor - it's a shame I didn't discover his work sooner, really.

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Almost three months later and just finished the first season. I wasn't a fan at all after the first episode (I thought it was kind of boring and absolutely hated Frank's asides), but it really picks up during the second half of the season. I just watched the trailer for Season 2 and it looks like it will be even better. I've heard that Season 2 gets a little unbelievable, so I'm interested to see if that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm also liking how much more complex Frank's and Zoe's relationship is starting to become.
    I agree, James. One thing I noticed as I watched Season 1 was how much I was enjoying the scenes with Zoe (with Frank, at the Herald, the dynamic between her and her boss). I almost wished there was more of these kinds of scenes focusing on the journalistic side of politics, rather than actual politics (the campaigning, legislation, etc.).

Also: the scenes with Frank at Freddy's really, really make me crave ribs.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Regarding Frank's asides, I didn't mind them as such, but I do think that Ian Richardson did them a lot better in the original series. The guy had such charm, and you could really believe that you were getting inside this evil fucker's head. Plus, it gave such great, great moments of dialogue (or even monologue) like:

"His biggest problem is that he so desperately wants to be liked. An admirable trait, in a spaniel or a whore. Not, I think, in a Prime Minister."
    "If being King means he thinks he can say whatever he likes, the man's a bloody fool!"

If you ever do become curious about the original Ricky (don't worry, I know that you're not a fan of BBC shows in general due to the low budget look, and as much as I do enjoy the original, it does look considerably dated, another reason why I think the remake works so well, so I'm not expecting you to rush out to look for it anytime soon), I'd be interested in your thoughts for comparison, at least.

- Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/90...house-of-cards
    Netflix has announced tonight that the company is parting ways with House of Cards star and executive producer Kevin Spacey. The news comes after production on Season 6 had been suspended following sexual assault and harassment allegations against Spacey. The streaming company also says it will no longer release the Gore Vidal biopic Gore, which was to star the actor.

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey,” a spokesman for Netflix said. “We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”

Media Rights Capital and Netflix had previously said that they had suspended production to give them time to review the current situation and to address any concerns of the cast and crew. It is unclear how the show will move forward now, but one thing the producers are considering is killing off Spacey’s character Frank Underwood.

Netflix is also considering three different House of Cards spin-off series. Among the in-development spin-offs is one series about Michael Kelly’s “fixer” character Doug Stamper that has Eric Roth as a writer.

House of Cards Season 6 was set to arrive in mid-2018 with the final 13 episodes, but it remains to be seen how that timeline will be affected moving forward.

House of Cards first premiered in 2013 as the very first Netflix original series and has since gone on to be nominated for over 50 Primetime Emmy nominations over the years. The series also stars Robin Wright, Michael Kelly, Jayne Atkinson, Neve Campbell, Derek Cecil, Paul Sparks and Joel Kinnaman.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I guess now isn't a great time to start watching, I haven't seen a single episode so far.

Gunslinger Apprentice Zidan will become famous soon enough Zidan's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

As someone who considers Kevin Spacey one of the greatest living actors, I am glad to see Netflix sever ties with him. Just because we enjoy watching someone's talent does not give them a free pass from being decent human beings. Just my two cents.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I guess now isn't a great time to start watching, I haven't seen a single episode so far.
    It's sort of the perfect time now:

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I'm sorry to see the series end; I understand that decision had been made before Spacey was removed from the series.

I'm kind of surprised; having Wright move into the main protag role could have given the series the shot in the arm it needed to continue past one final season - even more so now that Spacey is gone completely. But I guess Netflix want to move on.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Country
    Country Flag

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I suppose I'll watch this because I've loved the series so much, but it's going to be missing something. Honestly, they're just lucky they ended Season 5 the way they did, with it open to actually remove Spacey from the series and it make sense. But the show will be missing what he brought, and I'm am sure if the original plan was for him to be imprisoned, I imagine they had a big story planned about him being in prison. Season 5 was already a step down in quality, and I'm unsure of how this final season will be. I hope it's good, but I've had a bad feeling it's going to have a bunch of liberal, feminist rhetoric that will cheapen the show if it's handled poorly...hopefully if it's there it's classic manipulation as they've done before.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

If past seasons are any indication, it will have Claire using liberal feminist rhetoric to manipulate liberals and feminists to get what she wants.

I think that could work.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”

Ilium (Simmons)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's what I'd hope for. If there is one thing I appreciate about House of Cards, it's that these corrupt, murderous, manipulative politicians are Democrats, who are usually the more moral of the two parties. A corrupt Republican? Where's the fiction in that, amirite?

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've watched 5 of the 8 episodes. Kind of sad there are only 8 episodes. I thought things were just picking up, but they're about to start winding down. Episode 4 of this season was stellar, then again, any episode heavily featuring Petrov is a fantastic episode. I've also really liked what they've done with Durant. I've been a fan of Jayne Atkinson since her stint on 24, and I've loved her on House of Cards, and I'm hoping she'll soon have a bigger role on The Walking Dead beyond her one-off appearance last season. But my favourite character, Doug Stamper, has been stealing this season. I'm cheering for him to come out on top.

I haven't watched any eps yet, but your summary has me very intrigued. Doug Stamper is such a great character. Great to hear he is involved in this season.

Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Without saying any spoilers, I'll say that, on the whole, the final season was really good. I wasn't sure how I felt about the end at first, but it's one of those things that is growing on me as time passes. On the spoiler front...

Spoiler:
    I think the show ending with Stamper's death works. It's still open ended because there are things that were not tied up. It's either left open as if to say 'this stuff will keep happening in some shape or form', or it's left open because they're going to announce a sequel series that will continue with Claire Underwood as president in a show with a different name, to totally scrub Spacey way. The show effectively scrubbed everything that tied the show to Frank Underwood's crimes..Hammerschmidt, Stamper, Durant. So without that baggage hanging around, they can effectively start fresh if they want. I think if they are planning this, they won't announce it for a little bit so to not spoil it for anyone who hasn't yet watched it.

+ Reply to Thread