Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Peter David announces Marvel adaptation of The Drawing of the Three

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default Peter David announces Marvel adaptation of The Drawing of the Three

During his Emerald City Comicon Secret Origins panel, Peter David was asked by a member of the audience whether he enjoyed the collaboration with his co-creators on the "Dark Tower" comics. Rather than answer directly, he revealed the Marvel adaptations of Stephen King's fantasy epic will resume with "Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three." He also provided the 'secret origin' of how the project was greenlit.

>>> Read more here

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Good. It really didn't make sense that the previous series would end just as it was about to start.

This also means I won't be getting the DT omnibus that's coming out later this year.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm honestly a bit surprised that they're still doing this given how the series has been petering out and King effectively disowned them as being canon. I still wish King would actually write for comics like Joe Hill does, even if it was just once in a while like his American Vampire run.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I like the "secret origin". King's a good guy. Sounds a bit like it was a gift to David.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

Brilliant news! Hopefully the full series will eventually be done. I hope we can look forward to extra/new scenes akin to those we got in the Wizard and Glass adaption. Also hoping for more Dark Tower short stories in the back of the issues as these really help expand the mythos/canon.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I'm honestly a bit surprised that they're still doing this given how the series has been petering out and King effectively disowned them as being canon. I still wish King would actually write for comics like Joe Hill does, even if it was just once in a while like his American Vampire run.
    It still sold more than most indie (Vertigo, IDW, Oni, Avatar, Image, Boom! etc.) comic books by full-time comic book writers. I was pretty disappointed in the quality of writing. Background stuff and history were OK, but sometimes less is more. I don't like it when writers hold my mind for the sake of world-building.

If King wrote the new material, I'd be all over it. If we're going to get an adaptation, stick to source material please. To be completely honest, if American Vampire is any indication of King's comic book scripting, I'd rather he sticks to prose. Don't get me wrong, I liked the book. I have all the single issues and the hardcover but the story really took off after he left. It's not because he's terrible at writing comics. It's because he's OK at best and Snyder is next level genius.

I feel opposite about Hill's work. I prefer his comic books (and short stories) over his novels.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

'The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three': Exclusive artwork from Marvel's new Stephen King adaptation, 'The Prisoner'

But this September, Marvel will release the first issue of a new series that will delve into a new corner of King’s Dark Tower saga.

The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three–The Prisoner is a five-issue miniseries focusing on Eddie Dean, a character first introduced in King’s second Dark Tower book. And as drawn by artist Piotr Kowalski (Marvel Knights: Hulk), it’s also a departure from the post-apocalyptic Western setting of the previous comic books.

We’ll have more information to share with you about The Prisoner on Sunday — and Marvel will be discussing their future plans for the series this weekend at C2E2 — but for now, EW is excited to share the cover and the first seven pages of inked artwork from The Prisoner. Click on each picture for a larger image — and some eagle-eyed Dark Tower fans might find some embedded references to King’s work.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    The cover has been revealed at King's website:

http://stephenking.com/promo/dark_to...eal/index.html
    Excellent.

New York, NY—May 13th, 2014—Marvel, in collaboration with Stephen King, is proud to announce the new chapter in the Dark Tower series – DARK TOWER: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE – THE PRISONER. Beginning in September 2014, New York Times Best-Selling writers Peter David & Robin Furth along with critically acclaimed artist Piotr Kowalski bring the action from Mid-World to our world as the epic series returns!

THE DARK TOWER: DRAWING OF THE THREE – THE PRISONER marks another milestone for the graphic fiction sensation that’s captivated fans worldwide as the saga moves to the second volume of King’s magnum opus. And as the action shifts from the dusty plains of Mid-World to the mean streets of New York City – old and new fans alike will experience the rich and vibrant world of The Dark Tower in new and interesting ways.

As this tale of urban crime opens, you’ll meet Eddie Dean as an innocent child who grows into a troubled young man gifted with the ability to open doors to other worlds. Can he survive family tragedy, a haunting addiction, and the deadly forces that conspire to stop him from challenging the Man in Black? Eddie faces trials and tribulations at every turn – and the badlands of Mid-World can’t hold a candle to the dangers of Brooklyn in the 1960s! Witness the story of a young man on the path to an unlikely destiny and the most important journey of his life.

“To borrow some successful branding, this is the ‘All-New Marvel NOW’ version of The Dark Tower. As we now travel from The Gunslinger to The Drawing of The Three, we are refocusing our spotlight to explore the histories and events that led to the formation of the Ka-Tet that aided the gunslinger Roland Deschain on his quest to defeat the Man in Black and the Crimson King,” said editor Bill Rosemann. “But instead of encountering Eddie Dean later in his life, as you do in the novel, we zoom back to 1964 and meet him as a toddler, so while we are adapting the second novel, we’re weaving together events in a new way that will hopefully surprise and entertain everyone who has already read the book. We’re ‘assembling the Avengers’ of the Dark Tower universe, but Robin Furth, Peter David, and Piotr Kowalski are doing so in a way that you’ve never imagined.

A bold new chapter begins as the landmark series makes its historic return to comic shops this September in Stephen King’s THE DARK TOWER: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE – THE PRISONER #1

http://www.comicosity.com/marvel-ann...-the-prisoner/

Country
    Country Flag

The preview issue came out today. I grabbed an extra in case anyone on here wanted one. It was free so it's free to you too. I'd charge just whatever it costs to ship it.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I doubt I'll be getting this series (I'm mainly interested in new stories as far as the comics are concerned) but that cover is gorgeous!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm, I wonder if all these "Marvel" associations may be the ticket to eventually bring the DT series to the big screen in the future. Seems like a sensible idea given the money and reach of the new "Disney/Marvel" universe. Just an idle thought.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post

I doubt I'll be getting this series (I'm mainly interested in new stories as far as the comics are concerned) but that cover is gorgeous!
    See, I'm the opposite from this. I want to see only words written by King. I'd like to see an adaptation, not a re-imagining. I'd be OK with new material if King kept a really tight leash on it and actually read it before signing off on it, sort of like the Star Wars EU. I'm going out on a limb here but I feel like he didn't pay too much attention to what was going on in some of the previous arcs. Still, I'll be there the first day the book comes out. I read so many comics, I can't see myself not reading one based on a King book.

In my interview with him in The Dark Tower Companion, he comes right out and says there are some arcs he deliberately didn't read. Jericho Hill, for example, because he might want to write that story himself some day and he didn't want their version to get inside his head.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

If you're interested in new stories, I'd very much recommend getting this series based upon the previews I've seen. It looks like we will be getting a hell of a lot more new stuff than in the Gunslinger adaption:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=22988

http://stephenking.com/promo/dark_to...rtwork-reveal/

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/25/da...-prisoner-art/

Not only Eddie's childhood but also what looks like Low Men and the Dixie Pig (maybe even Sayre?).

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In my interview with him in The Dark Tower Companion, he comes right out and says there are some arcs he deliberately didn't read. Jericho Hill, for example, because he might want to write that story himself some day and he didn't want their version to get inside his head.
    I WOULD LOVE TO read about that battle... always wanted to know about the 1st leg of his quest... namely with his buddies...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

See, I'm the opposite from this. I want to see only words written by King. I'd like to see an adaptation, not a re-imagining. I'd be OK with new material if King kept a really tight leash on it and actually read it before signing off on it, sort of like the Star Wars EU. I'm going out on a limb here but I feel like he didn't pay too much attention to what was going on in some of the previous arcs. Still, I'll be there the first day the book comes out. I read so many comics, I can't see myself not reading one based on a King book.
    Oh I wouldn't say our views are entirely opposite. I particularly agree with the bit I've emoldened above, and wish that all new material were based at least on outlines from King (unless it prevented him writing a direct novel/novella on the subject in future of course). At the very least it would be nice if it were at least read and authorised by him, if he doesn't author it.

But I'm not keen on an adaptation of something already written. Although I'll admit, I thought The Gunslinger Born was pretty interesting and it did add a decent amount.

Concerning what was/wasn't run by King, yeah, I got the impression he backed off from that too. One thing I did find curious was learning that Walter's origin story (written by Robin Furth) supposedly originated from King... yet King's version of Maerlyn in his novel turned out rather different... It's not a complete contradiction with a bit of creative reasoning mind you.

If you're interested in new stories, I'd very much recommend getting this series based upon the previews I've seen. It looks like we will be getting a hell of a lot more new stuff than in the Gunslinger adaption:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=22988

http://stephenking.com/promo/dark_to...rtwork-reveal/

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/04/25/da...-prisoner-art/

Not only Eddie's childhood but also what looks like Low Men and the Dixie Pig (maybe even Sayre?).
    Okay. Now you've got me intrigued. Part of me thinks "Eddie's early story is told. Nothing need be added". But I'm curious darn it.

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Banned Danish will become famous soon enough

I love that last cover!

Banned Danish will become famous soon enough

I remember reading some interviews with King back in 2005, when the Marvel DT comics were just coming out, that King did modify the outlines of the first two arcs (plus tinkered with the dialogue). From then on, he gave his blessings (and surely some guidelines and suggestions) for most of the remaining arcs, and yes, it seems like he has lost his interest in the last few arcs - of course that's only speculative. I still like them to a certain degree but don't consider them very important. Now they're doing Drawing of the Three - are they really up to do them all, all the way up to Wind Through the Keyhole?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Danish View Post
    I remember reading some interviews with King back in 2005, when the Marvel DT comics were just coming out, that King did modify the outlines of the first two arcs (plus tinkered with the dialogue). From then on, he gave his blessings (and surely some guidelines and suggestions) for most of the remaining arcs, and yes, it seems like he has lost his interest in the last few arcs - of course that's only speculative. I still like them to a certain degree but don't consider them very important. Now they're doing Drawing of the Three - are they really up to do them all, all the way up to Wind Through the Keyhole?
    Who cares what you think? You're "Self Banned" . Leave quietly, jack hole.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

??
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    ??
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post870298
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast