49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Citizen of Gilead ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light ajw2910 is a glorious beacon of light

Country
    Country Flag

Mine is waiting at the PO for me when I get home. I'll let you all know tomorrow what I find (hopefully it will be ok)...........

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine is out for delivery. Fingers crossed.
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice richardsrarebooks will become famous soon enough

Default The Shining Signed Limited - rubbing to book and traycase

Received a full refund from Bill @ Subterranean and have mailed (so sad!) the book back to him. I had the book with the remarque and wonder what is going to become of it. I would think those with perfect copies will greatly increase in value. I just didn't want a defective book with a replaced traycase and new dust jacket. It's still defective.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I am not at all familiar with hand marbled paper, but I would think the paper could be sealed befor the binding process. I a m not saying this as a complaint or to be an ass but any artist who uses pencils or charcoal can tell you there are archival sprays that seal the image to the paper and prevent smudging, transfer. I wonder if they investigation into what happened might show a step was missed somewhere in the process? I hope this doesn't prevent Sub. Press from using marbled boards, or other interesting designs for their books. They tried to make a numbered edition that I feel was as nice as a lot of lettered editions, and deserve props for this!

Ken
    I doubt it's the papers fault. Hand marbled paper has been around for hundreds of years. They now certainly have sealers, fixers, etc.. Bill says it was the binding process. I'm sure he would like to know exactly what failed in that process. The damage seems to be worse where greater amounts of adhesive would be present. I think the marbled boards are beautiful. It's a real shame that so many are damaged.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by richardsrarebooks View Post
    Received a full refund from Bill @ Subterranean and have mailed (so sad!) the book back to him. I had the book with the remarque and wonder what is going to become of it. I would think those with perfect copies will greatly increase in value. I just didn't want a defective book with a replaced traycase and new dust jacket. It's still defective.
    Man that's tough - I'm split on what to do. They had my money for 14 months for such an iconic book. I REALLY want the book. And I want my matching number for Dr. Sleep but I just can't shake that "you'll always know it's damaged" feeling.

I think it will also depend on what they are planning for the returned damaged books.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have some slight damage on the traycase. The book itself looks pretty good. I voted as damaged.

John

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Hey john,

Make sure you turn it in the light a bit. Some of the rubbing doesn't immediately show as those white stripes but it will show at certain angles in the light. I have both kinds on mine.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just double checked it and I really can't see anything on the book, just the traycase shows a bluish streak.

John

Traveler JXE is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by subpress View Post
    I'm relieved to say the fading shows up far worse in digital photos than in real life, so those who haven't received their copies of The Shining yet shouldn't be overly concerned.
    I really think you're downplaying the situation by saying the photos make it look worse than it really is. I could tell you one thing: my digital camera didn't take chunks out of my book, and the white spots aren't any less white in person.

Like others have said, this "solution" will only raise the value of books that were manufactured properly and leave everyone else with a bad taste in their mouths. It's easy to offer a refund because you know that most people want the book so bad that they'll settle for all of these mistakes while you hold on to the full value of what a book in mint condition was supposed to cost. I'm curious if the books shipping out beyond this point will contain the same level of scuffing throughout. If they're in better shape after now being wrapped in plastic, the theory that all of the damage occured in shipping goes out the window.

Finally, what do King and his people think about a situation like this? Have they been notified? Does an author get upset when he lisences one of his most popular books, advertises it on his site, and then his fans all get left with damaged goods? I'm not trying to be snarky; I'm seriously wondering what happens from the author's perspective when a disaster like this occurs.

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by JXE View Post
    I'm relieved to say the fading shows up far worse in digital photos than in real life, so those who haven't received their copies of The Shining yet shouldn't be overly concerned.
    I really think you're downplaying the situation by saying the photos make it look worse than it really is. I could tell you one thing: my digital camera didn't take chunks out of my book, and the white spots aren't any less white in person.

It's easy to offer a refund because you know that most people want the book so bad that they'll settle for all of these mistakes while you hold on to the full value of what a book in mint condition was supposed to cost. I'm curious if the books shipping out beyond this point will contain the same level of scuffing throughout. If they're in better shape after now being wrapped in plastic, the theory that all of the damage occured in shipping goes out the window.

Finally, what do King and his people think about a situation like this? Have they been notified? Does an author get upset when he lisences one of his most popular books, advertises it on his site, and then his fans all get left with damaged goods? I'm not trying to be snarky; I'm seriously wondering what happens from the author's perspective when a disaster like this occurs.
    I agree with a lot of what you said. The question remains about what will happen to the damaged refunded copies. I can't see them being resold at a lower, damaged/discounted price after this.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I would hope that too many people wont be complaining to King. In my opinion, if we keep complaining to him, he would just stop agreeing to such projects! He obviously doesn't need the money. The correct person to rectify the situation is the book dealer.

The first offer is not necessarily the best offer but a negotiating starting point.

I still would like a replacement (if possible). There has to be some extra's out there --- and as far as we can tell only 15 copies are bad!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I agree with a lot of what you said. The question remains about what will happen to the damaged refunded copies. I can't see them being resold at a lower, damaged/discounted price after this.
    Why not? Many small presses like CD and Centipede sell less than perfect ('dinged') copies at a discount. It's their product after all.

I would perfectly understand if SubPress decides to make a pile of damaged books (either books that were returned/refunded, or books that they identified as being damaged before sending them out) and sell them at a discount a while after the undamaged copies have sold out.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

I still would like a replacement (if possible). There has to be some extra's out there --- and as far as we can tell only 15 copies are bad!
    16 of 19 polled have reported damage - 84% of those who have responded here. Not a good ratio! The chances that SP has replacement copies for even a small percentage has got to be pretty slim.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would hope that too many people wont be complaining to King. In my opinion, if we keep complaining to him, he would just stop agreeing to such projects! He obviously doesn't need the money. The correct person to rectify the situation is the book dealer.

The first offer is not necessarily the best offer but a negotiating starting point.

Totally agree with you... King would just stop doing it if he is bothered by it. He does this fro US... collectors that love his work... surely not for monetary gain. The book dealers should fix this... and fix it right.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Totally agree with you... King would just stop doing it if he is bothered by it. He does this fro US... collectors that love his work... surely not for monetary gain. The book dealers should fix this... and fix it right.
    I really think he does it for the book dealers. Especially independent book dealers to help keep them alive and thriving!

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

I haven't given this all of the thought I will, so this may not be my final decision, but it's very likely we'll resell any returned copies. I do not anticipate it will be necessary to discount them.

Best,

Bill

Traveler JXE is on a distinguished road

I'm not talking about customers complaining to King. I'm asking in general what happens when an author checks on how something they put their name on came out and it turns out it's a massive disaster? Will his people be notified that this happened? And if so, how will they react when they hear that this is what happened?

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi all,

I haven't given this all of the thought I will, so this may not be my final decision, but it's very likely we'll resell any returned copies. I do not anticipate it will be necessary to discount them.

Best,

Bill
    Bill - Do you think the resold copies will include the replacement tray case and dust jacket?

Thanks.
    Brian

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

If they perceive it to be too big of a nuisance I imagine they will recommend he not do anymore s/l editions. If your him why would you? He specifically doesn't like the fact that people buy his books just to look at on a shelf. He wants them to be read and if it's going to cause issues by doing these special editions he can make it easy on himself and just stop.

My Mood
    Asleep

Hi all,

Best,

Bill
    Just my opinion, but I might have waited until everything was fixed/settled before stating this. The discounting part is what rubs me the wrong way. We waited along time to get our books and they arrived in less than perfect condition. And i realize you are jumping through alot of hoops to make your customers happy, but this is like saying someone else will pay for my less than perfect copies - so take it or leave it. JUST my opinion.

PS. You are doing an excellent job in keeping your "core" customers informed and i appreciate that!
    Updated.

My Mood
    Asleep

Hi all,

Best,

Bill
    Just my opinion, but I might have waited until everything was fixed/settled before stating this. The discounting part is what rubs me the wrong way. We waited along time to get our books and they arrived in less than perfect condition. And i realize you are jumping through alot of hoops to make your customers happy, but this is like saying someone else will pay for my less than perfect copies - so take it or leave it. JUST my opinion.

PS. You are doing an excellent job in keeping your "core" customers informed and i appreciate that!
    Updated.
    But we are getting timely information and in a very timely manner! Thanks to these boards!!! We are all receiving live information - unfiltered!

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

Hi.

Not my intention to make this contentious. I'm just trying to answer reasonable questions as they come up.

Best,

Bill

Hi all,

Best,

Bill

Updated.

Yes, they very likely will.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Hi all,

Best,

Bill
    Bill - Do you think the resold copies will include the replacement tray case and dust jacket?

Thanks.
    Brian

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Many of us are upset (including me). Bill is coming in here and answering questions quite promptly.
    Reduce the speculation, and ask a legitimate question. Wait a day to see what Bill says before jumping to conclusions.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill,
    I requested a change of shipping from New Zealand to London (which you kindly arranged thank you), and I received my shipping notice last week. I won't be actually receiving the book until June, and so my query is, if I need to contact you regarding the solutions offered, will that time frame be OK from your point of view? I don't want to be hassling the holder of the book to ship it back etc if that becomes necessary...

Thank you
    James

Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 ... LastLast