0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • Never read

3 10.34%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #2: The Stand (1978)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #2: The Stand (1978)

The Stand, 1978

Please vote for The Stand using the following scale:

• Never read

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

You may base your vote on the 1990 uncut version as well as the 1978 original.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Never read.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Never read.
    Oh. Dear. God.
    Stop all activity in your life. Get hold of this book and read it now.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty sure this bad boy could get a buy till the final four and no one would object. It makes me sad it goes up against TLW right off the bat. I think a Bachman bracket could have been acceptable.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Never read.
    Oh. Dear. God.
    what goblins said

bears gave it a 5, of course... even though they are still mad at the book for [apparently] beating To Kill a Mockingbird to the top of the Top 100 (vote here, by the way!!!!!)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Never read.
    Oh. Dear. God.

I plan to one day. I think I need to let more time pass since The Dark Tower, because last time I tried to start it, I just felt like "Oh, fuck this group of people. They're nothing compared to the ka-tet".

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

they are an amazing ka-tet, though. Writing ka-tets is King's forte.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

M-O-O-N
    That spells Ka-tet
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

: nods :

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Voted as unread. I really need to finish this one. Got halfway through and really enjoyed what I read, but then got into a horrible readers slump.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Ugh, reader's slump is the worst. That's why I have so many half-read books lying around.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Me too, not to mention the numerous books I buy while still having hundreds laying around at home to read
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

so do bears

I hope this CRA will finally make me finish The Running Man, of which I've had five or so pages left for many years

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Me too, not to mention the numerous books I buy while still having hundreds laying around at home to read
    Yes!

I feel like a hopeless addict every time I buy a new book, when I know I have tons at home waiting for me.

Country
    Country Flag

there's a miraculous answer. It starts with a K:

K - - - - E

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The best thing about Kindle is 'Whispersync' (it keeps track of where you are in a book and syncs the position across all your kindle apps and devices).

I was in the office on Monday (usually I work from home). I'm currently re-reading Carrie (been a while) and read it on my kindle on the train. Lunchtime in the office, I opened up the Kindle app on my Mac and read a couple more chapters on the Kindle app. Train home, back to physical Kindle. Later that evening had to pick up #2 son from football, he was (as always) late so sat in the car and read another chapter on my iPhone. It kept my position in the book perfectly.

Country
    Country Flag

goblins... if you have (a) no money to buy books; (b) no place to keep books; (c) no car, and have to spend lots of time in public transport; (d) goosebumps from many kinds of paper; (e) no other idea of happiness than reading a book sitting somewhere without fearing that it will end on you while in the morning you decided not to take another volume in addition the weight you have to haul in your shoulderbag; (f) no way to read books in foreign language other than either to buy them at ridiculously high prices or to bring them from abroad instead of presents for yourself and family... if you have all this, you can see a lot of things that are "the best" about Kindle.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    goblins... if you have (a) no money to buy books; (b) no place to keep books; (c) no car, and have to spend lots of time in public transport; (d) goosebumps from many kinds of paper; (e) no other idea of happiness than reading a book sitting somewhere without fearing that it will end on you while in the morning you decided not to take another volume in addition the weight you have to haul in your shoulderbag; (f) no way to read books in foreign language other than either to buy them at ridiculously high prices or to bring them from abroad instead of presents for yourself and family... if you have all this, you can see a lot of things that are "the best" about Kindle.
    All of which makes me even more happy to share what I have with bears!

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Pretty sure this bad boy could get a buy till the final four and no one would object. It makes me sad it goes up against TLW right off the bat. I think a Bachman bracket could have been acceptable.
    Just to clarify things, books are not going up against one another in this round. Each book will be rated by the voters and the top 30 will move on to Round 2 (a rating of 4 and above is usually needed to move on).

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. Anything less is just uncivilized.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

5, epic

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My all-time favorite novel, regardless of author.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Read both versions!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, a whole three votes for Never read. Surprising!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast