Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which should be at the top of the list?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

11 35.48%
  • The Stand, by Stephen King

20 64.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels: The Superfinal

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Top 100 Novels: The Superfinal

VS.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Can I please vote for The Stand? I haven't finished reading it but it's miles ahead of To Kill a Mockingbird for me. I always hated that story. Sorry Jean
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

: indignant :

no, of course you can't! what an idea

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I really want to read To Kill A Mockingbird. This sounds like the final excuse I need to pick up the book, methinks.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

gr gr gr!!! why have you been wasting your time?!

Heather sweetheart, of course you can vote for anything you want! bears were kidding

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I greatly preferred The Stand ...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn, the Stand is really that good?

I always thought there was strong bias because of the site we're in, but it if it's in the final against a juggernaut like TKAM it must be pretty amazing.

And yes, I am ashamed that I haven't read The Stand yet.

Country
    Country Flag

The Stand is a great novel. TKAM is more than a great novel: it's one of those precious cultural phenomena that teach people (and bears) to differ right from wrong, good from evil, truth from lies; and, eventually, to develop their soul - to the extent they will be able to understand the worth of other good things in the world. Such as, say, The Stand.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    gr gr gr!!! why have you been wasting your time?!

Heather sweetheart, of course you can vote for anything you want! bears were kidding

Sorry I dislike To Kill a Mockingbird so much. I read it back in high school and really struggled through it. And I tried to re-read it a few years ago (I swapped books with a friend, gave her Different Seasons and she gave me that to read) well I struggled through it again till I got half way through and said screw it. It's probably just me though, I'm really not a huge fan of the classics.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

only 14 people have voted so far

the poll will be up till most of those who took part in the nominations have voted

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting that the final 2 are focused around the same concepts of "Good" and "Evil" and how this is perceived by others. I suppose you could say that broadly about most novels that include a protagonist, but in this instance, the label of which is which is very much based on who is making the observation.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

John F. Kennedy Nonline is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Stand obviously :-)

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a very hard decision for me, but ultimately, I had to go with The Stand. Though I would be much happier with IT at the top.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

we need at least 30 votes here

it's the top of the top we're voting, people and animals and other creatures, please be more active!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Damn, the Stand is really that good?

I always thought there was strong bias because of the site we're in, but it if it's in the final against a juggernaut like TKAM it must be pretty amazing.

And yes, I am ashamed that I haven't read The Stand yet.
    I'm surprised you've never read The Stand, 'Nando. It's my favorite King book and it might be my favorite book of all time. A must read for any King fan, that's for sure. You gotta get on that. Do you at least have the book? If not, I can pick up a copy and send it to you. I always see it used for cheap prices.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like The Stand but I don't think it's King's best. Probably not even in my top 10.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I read The Stand 15 years ago and haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird Yet so I can't vote
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

What were you, about 13 when you read The Stand? It might be time for a re-read. I'm sure you would enjoy it even more with different perspective and age.

Cyber, I'd love to see the 10 King books you'd put ahead of The Stand. I might discover something I haven't read yet.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    What were you, about 13 when you read The Stand? It might be time for a re-read. I'm sure you would enjoy it even more with different perspective and age.

Cyber, I'd love to see the 10 King books you'd put ahead of The Stand. I might discover something I haven't read yet.
    Actually, so would I. You garnered my interest FWIW.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

John F. Kennedy KatetOfNineteen will become famous soon enough KatetOfNineteen's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will be honest, I voted for TKAM. I've never read The Stand. I've heard only great things about it though. I loved TKAM, I own a paperback and Kindle version. It was previously my favorite all time book now being replaced by the entire Dark Tower series.
    Gamer, Book Worm, Gearhead, Metalhead, Outdoorsman, Artist(I like to think) and one goofy mofo.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Grade Seven. I actually started re-reading it a few years back but put it down a few hundred pages in and never picked it back up...think the tower called.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    only 14 people have voted so far

the poll will be up till most of those who took part in the nominations have voted
    It's been up for almost a month now, I think we have our answer.

Country
    Country Flag

yeah, right... I wanted at least 30 people to vote, just to give anyone a chance to voice their opinion... but since nobody seems to really care, I'll post the list tomorrow, if nothing happens

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another 4 votes wouldn't affect the outcome in any case.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast