Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Omnibus?

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Default The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Omnibus?

Anybody have any more information about this yet?

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Gun...marvel+omnibus

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

How is this different to the previous Marvel DT Omnibus?

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tower-Omn.../dp/0785155414
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the previous/original DT Omnibus - from 2011.
    Don't know if there is a re-print.

sk

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They have different ISBN numbers and release dates. If I had a guess, it includes the remaining series for a complete Omnibus. The former Omnibus doesn't include everything.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah - just learned something new.
    Thanks!

sk

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    The previous omnibus is for the first series of 30 issues mostly drawn by Jae Lee. They were all titled "The Dark Tower" (with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

This appears to be an omnibus for the second series of 30 issues which were titled "The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger" (also with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

If the info on the two links is correct please also note that the page counts are different too. This one is shorter, which makes since because there were no guidebooks for this set.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    The previous omnibus is for the first series of 30 issues mostly drawn by Jae Lee. They were all titled "The Dark Tower" (with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

This appears to be an omnibus for the second series of 30 issues which were titled "The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger" (also with secondary titles for each mini-series/storyline).

If the info on the two links is correct please also note that the page counts are different too. This one is shorter, which makes since because there were no guidebooks for this set.
    Thanks! That makes more sense.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's good news, I would hate it to have been the original with a few extra editions.
    I'm much more likely to buy this now.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

From Marvel's June 2014 Solicitations:

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER OMNIBUS SLIPCASE HC

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
    Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS, LUKE ROSS, MICHAEL LARK, LAURENCE CAMPBELL, ALEX MALEEV & RICHARD ISANOVE
    Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

Stephen King’s epic has riveted readers for decades. Now, Roland Deschain’s early adventures are revealed! Last of the Gunslingers, Roland searches for the mysterious Dark Tower — the one place where he can set right the out-of-synch Mid-World. As Roland trails the sorcerous Man in Black, he will confront the Little Sisters of Eluria, encounter the desolate town of Tull, rescue the powerful Sheemie and meet the mysterious Jake Chambers in a tale of fantasy, horror, revenge and betrayal from the masterful mind of Stephen King! Plus: a companion volume packed with fascinating bonus material and apocrypha! Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER — THE JOURNEY BEGINS #1-5, THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA #1-5, THE BATTLE OF TULL #1-5, THE WAY STATION #1-5, THE MAN IN BLACK #1-5, SHEEMIE’S TALE #1-2, EVIL GROUND #1-2, and SO FELL LORD PERTH #1.

732 PGS & 352 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC …$150.00
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-8870-4
    Trim size: oversized

Pics of Slipcase and Book & Companion covers at: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51566 (just search for "Dark Tower", it's a ways down)

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

FINALLY!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

They also just announced The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three from Marvel.

Here's the Omnibus cover:

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    From Marvel's June 2014 Solicitations:

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER OMNIBUS SLIPCASE HC

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
    Penciled by SEAN PHILLIPS, LUKE ROSS, MICHAEL LARK, LAURENCE CAMPBELL, ALEX MALEEV & RICHARD ISANOVE
    Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

Stephen King’s epic has riveted readers for decades. Now, Roland Deschain’s early adventures are revealed! Last of the Gunslingers, Roland searches for the mysterious Dark Tower — the one place where he can set right the out-of-synch Mid-World. As Roland trails the sorcerous Man in Black, he will confront the Little Sisters of Eluria, encounter the desolate town of Tull, rescue the powerful Sheemie and meet the mysterious Jake Chambers in a tale of fantasy, horror, revenge and betrayal from the masterful mind of Stephen King! Plus: a companion volume packed with fascinating bonus material and apocrypha! Collecting DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER — THE JOURNEY BEGINS #1-5, THE LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA #1-5, THE BATTLE OF TULL #1-5, THE WAY STATION #1-5, THE MAN IN BLACK #1-5, SHEEMIE’S TALE #1-2, EVIL GROUND #1-2, and SO FELL LORD PERTH #1.

732 PGS & 352 PGS./Parental AdvisorySLC …$150.00
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-8870-4
    Trim size: oversized

Pics of Slipcase and Book & Companion covers at: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51566 (just search for "Dark Tower", it's a ways down)

Being released in september.

>>>> amazon link
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ugh, as someone who doesn't read comics/graphic novels, but is a King collector and wants to get these sets...I am so confused by all of these. Looking at Ebay auctions, etc I can't keep heads or tails of these. The all seems so similar to each other and it seems like there is more than one series going on. I'm probably being dense, but I need a ELI5 website that walks me through it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I posted all the comics in chronological order in the classifieds section. That should help you figure out what's what. The only books I didn't post in chronological order are one-shots and specials. Those are all grouped together and could be read any time.

I was going to sell them all for a cheap price just to get rid of them. I had priced the whole lot at $1.50 or so each. After looking at sold auctions on eBay, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Two issues that make up Sheemie's Tale recently sold for $19.99. The first arc (The Gunslinger Born) with regular covers sells for at least $15 and my set is the more rare variants in unread condition. Hmm.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Worth a mention is that if you get the omnibus everything is in chronological order and the only thing missing is The Drawing of the Three which actually just ended.

The downside of the omnibus is how crummy it looks on the shelf, especially considering it's Marvel and they have the $.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I don't know. I collected the comics up through the "Jericho Hill" arc and have a few really "special items". However once they went into uncharted territory I lost interest, but the art is really cool. I figured i would hold onto them until he passes and see what the market does. The art is really quite captivating IMHO I have a few "Special Editions" and variants that I will hold onto, for my Grandson I suppose.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The thing I dislike about the omnibus editions is that they omit all of the back matter, including Robin Furth's essays, which are -- to me -- highly valuable.

Traveler Aztecface is on a distinguished road Aztecface's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    The thing I dislike about the omnibus editions is that they omit all of the back matter, including Robin Furth's essays, which are -- to me -- highly valuable.
    Bev, are you certain? I have been under the impression that the Omnibuses included everything that were in the previous collections.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The previous collections didn't have Robin's essays in them, either. At least not the ones I've seen.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

The previous collections didn't have Robin's essays in them, either. At least not the ones I've seen.
    Where were the essays published?

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev, I think I might know the reason for that. Robin is having a new book published soon. Well at least it would seem to be so. Here's the link: http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/furth02
    I probably shouldn't have posted that link. Something tells me that it will be "out of stock" rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aztecface View Post
    At the end of each of the individual issues -- I cover them at length in The Dark Tower Companion.

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aztecface View Post
    At the end of each of the individual issues -- I cover them at length in The Dark Tower Companion.
    So they were in the individual issues but in none of the collected hardcovers. Interesting. Oh well... I suppose one can't have everything. I see that your own books are hard to find in HC for an affordable price. Thank You for taking the time to answer my questions so quickly.

Neither of my two companions were issued as hardcovers -- they were trade paperback originals. Both are available as limited editions from CD (the second one forthcoming). The Stephen King Illustrated Companion -- that was has been reprinted a few times, so there's a chance it might come back into print for a reasonable price if B&N decides to order another printing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast