Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is this your least favorite of the series?

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I personally love this book because it feels so much like book 2, and since book 2 was when the story REALLY got started, with Eddie and Susannah being introduced, and everything, I dunno, I guess it just felt like I was seeing an old friend again after a long time away somewhere else. Plus, I loved the whole Mafia aspect coming backl around, as well as more Calvin Tower stuff. And oh yeah, let's not forget Eddie's revelation that he was existing in a parallel world, not the keystone one.

I too am very perplexed as to why alot of people seem to dislike it so. The only real tedious part of the story is the whole Dogan bullshit, which I could have done without, but since that's noly one third of the story being told in the book, I can overlook that aspect of it. And I'll tell ya what: of all the crap King pulled in the last three books, the stuff he did with the "Writer" chapters was actually something I found rather cool. I still remember when I got to that point, and I was tickled pink! Haha, awesome stuff!

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Well...hate is a strong word. I just found her a bit much at times. I would have been happier if she had been in a wheelchair OR crazy. Both, I thought, was tedious. And it seemed like so many of the ka-tet's problems were because of her or centered around her. So I came to dislike the character.

Gunslinger Apprentice PedroPáramo is on a distinguished road PedroPáramo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Personally SoS is my favorite. I liked the art and all the book. I loved the story of Mordred and Mia, and the tree lines, and I love all the book!
    Look at me thus. Thy glance is mad and rare.
    Thine eyes show deep and wild and inner strife.
    How they are more than Horror fair!
    -Alexander Search

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Cool, Rose. Join us over in the Love for SOS thread...this is for discussion on why some folk list it as their least favorite.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

i know i'm, uh...not supposed to be here. but....... i just wanted to say....

SONG OF SUSANNAH RULES!!! WOOH!!!

*runs out of the room with victory arms raised above his head*

HA HA, SUCKERS!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Mike is the ultimate rebel..just watch him go..
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    i know i'm, uh...not supposed to be here. but....... i just wanted to say....

SONG OF SUSANNAH RULES!!! WOOH!!!

*runs out of the room with victory arms raised above his head*

HA HA, SUCKERS!
    LMFAO Mike, you're killin me here man.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Why Song of Susannah isn't my favorite book

Ok All_Hail, I finally finished my reread of Song of Susannah and I realized why this doesn't make the top of the list.

I have always like the character of Odetta/Detta = Susannah. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands are two of my all time favorite books. I think the main reason for SOS being at the bottom of my list is Mia. I found myself bored or not really caring about the Susannah/Mia parts. Sure there are some interesting tidbits of information that Mia gives Susannah about the history and whatnot. But all the rest of their interaction, I just found myself skimming or trying to rush though it so I could get back to Roland and Eddie. Plus another big annoyance, is that Jake and Callahan and Oy don't really come into play until around page 300.

Do I hate this book? No.

I just don't find myself obsessed with it the way I do with the others.

....and now off to The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Ok All_Hail, I finally finished my reread of Song of Susannah and I realized why this doesn't make the top of the list.

I have always like the character of Odetta/Detta = Susannah. The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands are two of my all time favorite books. I think the main reason for SOS being at the bottom of my list is Mia. I found myself bored or not really caring about the Susannah/Mia parts. Sure there are some interesting tidbits of information that Mia gives Susannah about the history and whatnot. But all the rest of their interaction, I just found myself skimming or trying to rush though it so I could get back to Roland and Eddie. Plus another big annoyance, is that Jake and Callahan and Oy don't really come into play until around page 300.

Do I hate this book? No.

I just don't find myself obsessed with it the way I do with the others.

....and now off to The Dark Tower: The Dark Tower.

Alright. I understand your views. One thing I don't understand was why you didn't just post this in the thread I made?

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yeah, I guess you're right. I'll move it.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Im still reading SoS so i dont kno the whole story, but I do kno enough of it. I never been a huge fan of Sushanna in the first place. I like her when shes in the zone/pissed but otherwise she can be a bit,boring

Okay, but this thread is about those who consider Song of Susannah their least favorite of the series and why, not the character specifically.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ok. This book isn't my least favorite but it is second to last on my list so I will give my thoughts.

The stories are good, I like them. I love the Roland/Eddie parts and the very small Jake/Faddah parts. It's Mia. She's so stupid! The stories she had to tell, while informative, were not interesting to me. Also, the best parts of the series, for me, is when the tet is together...working together, talking together...being together. When they are apart, it wasn't as fun for me. This whole book was about them being apart. I get it, I do, it fits and makes sense story-wise but I didn't like it. The ka-tet is what I really love about the series which is the main reason that this book and the crapfest Wizard & Glass are at the bottom of my list.

I love my friends the tet of the 90 and 9.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. Altought it's my least favourite of the series I liked Mia's stories. She had been in the story for so long it was good to know who the blue hell she was at last.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like Mia's stories, and the whole Discordia Castle thing, because of the same reasons as the reasons why I generally dislike fantasy; those episodes just confirmed my opinion that when an author tries to be true to fantasy as a genre, he immediately forgets how to write entertaining, plausible, re-readable text. It's the only disappointing part in SoS for me, though, and not very big, while The Gunslinger, for example, is all like that.

that's the reason, by the way, why I never take part in any conversation regarding the ontology of that world (prim etc) - that part bored me to tears, and I never went too deep into it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am sorry Jean, but you are just gonna' have to start loving The Gunslinger.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I didn't like Mia's stories, and the whole Discordia Castle thing, because of the same reasons as the reasons why I generally dislike fantasy; those episodes just confirmed my opinion that when an author tries to be true to fantasy as a genre, he immediately forgets how to write entertaining, plausible, re-readable text. It's the only disappointing part in SoS for me, though, and not very big, while The Gunslinger, for example, is all like that.

that's the reason, by the way, why I never take part in any conversation regarding the ontology of that world (prim etc) - that part bored me to tears, and I never went too deep into it

Interesting. I totally don't agree of course, but an interesting opinion nontheless. I thought SOS was your favorite of the series. Or are you just discussing your least liked part of the book?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

as I said, the talks with Mia at Discordia Castle was the only really disappointing part of that book, which I otherwise love a lot

Damn, you're right, I guess I need to stop the whole "ignoring everything except the first few words in Jean's posts" thing...

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, maybe you should pay more attention you bastard.
    Jean's favorite book is WOLVES, just like mine.

Traveler damiano is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

Just found this place in the middle of what is likely my 10th reread.

Going by this thread I doubt that anyone will agree with me, but I disliked this book because IMO it really didn't go anywhere. I recall when I first read it after running home with it the day it hit the shelves and anxiously awaiting the next chapter. We were left with the cliffhanger from WOTC, Susan was due to pop with a demon child within seconds, preparations are made to go after her...

411 pages later she has a demon kid.

I know time is funny, but for the most part this book seemed to take a long time to tell very little story, in contrast to the rest of the series. It also seemed like a detour. For me, I started reading this series with the Gunslinger 18 or 19 years before SOS was published. Each book stood on it's own but also added a lot to the series. SOS seemed more like a bridge at best; or at worst it was only written because King had promised 7 books to us and his publisher and really could have been settled in about 10-15 pages either at the end of WOTC or the beginning of DT.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn great to have you here, damiano.
    10th reread? That's something. Welcome to the DT junkie club.

Anyway there is a lot in what you say but for my part I don't mind at all if things happen really slowly in a book. Moreover. My favourite is when nothing happens but I can know all the tiny details and there are tons of threads in the story.
    I would be interested in which your favourite book is.

Roland would have understood.

Traveler damiano is on a distinguished road

I like them all equally, other than SOS. If I had to pick a favorite, then I'll say that I've always had a soft spot for Wizard and Glass. Some people have criticized it for similar reasons that I do with SoS (not much progress in the overall story, etc.), but I thought it was a tremendous story that really added a lot to the series.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by damiano View Post
    <...>
    Going by this thread I doubt that anyone will agree with me, but I disliked this book because IMO it really didn't go anywhere.

<...> the most part this book seemed to take a long time to tell very little story, in contrast to the rest of the series.
    That's one of the reasons why I liked it so much.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by damiano View Post
    I like them all equally, other than SOS. If I had to pick a favorite, then I'll say that I've always had a soft spot for Wizard and Glass. Some people have criticized it for similar reasons that I do with SoS (not much progress in the overall story, etc.), but I thought it was a tremendous story that really added a lot to the series.
    I totally agree on that point daminao, I felt like the back story in W&G was important to the story.

SoS just seemed to languish a bit in explanation.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast