+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 146

Thread: Why is this your least favorite of the series?

  1. #1
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    :?: Why is this your least favorite of the series?

    So many list this as their least favorite of the series and I love it a lot. So I was wondering why so many list this as their least favorite of the series?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  2. #2
    West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,659
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    personally, I loved all the books. I just loved the other books more. I remember reading SoS and when it was finished I sat there and cried. I loved it and I was so excited for book seven. But just because I loved the other books more, doesn't mean I didn't love Song of Susannah.



    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa



    sugarpop <3

  3. #3
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    personally, I loved all the books. I just loved the other books more. I remember reading SoS and when it was finished I sat there and cried. I loved it and I was so excited for book seven. But just because I loved the other books more, doesn't mean I didn't love Song of Susannah.
    Same here, I love them all. But I'm asking why you list it as your least favorite.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  4. #4
    West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,659
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    well what I was trying to say is that it just falls into the least favorite because I loved the other ones more. not that there was really anything wrong with sos. it is just how it is. All the books left their mark on me. The imprint of sos just isn't as dark.

    Now, this month I'm rereading books 5-7. I may change my mind after a fresh read.



    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa



    sugarpop <3

  5. #5
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    The imprint of sos just isn't as dark.

    Now, this month I'm rereading books 5-7. I may change my mind after a fresh read.

    Hmmm, maybe then you'll be either have a different feeling or could describe why the imprint wasn't as dark..I like that analogy by the way.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  6. #6
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,488
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    thank you for this thread AllHail! I've been curious, too.

    (SoS is my second favorite, directly after Wolves, in the same slot with Drawing and TWL)

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    personally, I loved all the books. I just loved the other books more.
    The same here.
    And maybe I will sound silly but I think it's my least favourite because in this book the ka-tet wasn't together.Yeah, shoot me now. It's just a feeling but I guess this book couldn't get so damn close to my heart the ka-tet was torn into parts it wasn't the same.
    Just a guess.
    I will keep on thinking about it.

    Roland would have understood.

  8. #8
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,488
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I don't know why you thought anyone would be willing to shoot you... but I see your point about the ka-tet not being together. That's the reason why my two least favorites are The Gunslinger (no ka-tet at all), W&G (the wrong ka-tet), and (although I love that one a lot better than those two) DT7.
    but SoS, for me, to a great extent consists of ka-tet wanting to reunite... those ties that bind them have, as I feel it, never been so strong as now that the ka-tet was apart and struggling to get back together. That's one of the reasons I love that book; it is, in this respect, very much like The Waste Land or The Drawing; it is kinda re-Drawing.

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Yeah, it's a good book, no question.

    Roland would have understood.

  10. #10
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Tower Junkies I've asked this question to invariably give me the answer that goes something like this "It's my least favorite because it focuses so heavily on Susannah who is my least favorite character in the Ka-tet of 19".
    I just find it interesting how this book is usually at the bottom of most folks list yet it is SO fast paced, even more so than Drawing of the Three in my opinion, and yet the one thing it seems like a lot of folk complain of his "slowness" in books.
    So, I'm surprised that The Gunslinger isn't last on most folks list due to the fact that it is the slowest of them all except for portions of Wizard and Glass. So I'm thinking there is something about Song of Susannah beyond its pace that makes it most Tower Junkies least favorite.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  11. #11
    Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    644
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Tower Junkies I've asked this question to invariably give me the answer that goes something like this "It's my least favorite because it focuses so heavily on Susannah who is my least favorite character in the Ka-tet of 19".
    That's at least part of my reasoning, also I just didn't like the book. I didn't like the stories in it. I loved the story of Roland taking on Cort, I loved the story of Roland and Susan, I loved the story of Roland going into Eddies mind, and the Story of him throwing Jack Mort in front of the train. I loved the story of some old dudetrying to get the pretty young girl through some sort of underhanded means, and the young gunslinger fucking up his plans, and the plans of the bad guys. I just didn't really care for the stories in SoS as much.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

    I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

  12. #12
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I could give an answer, couldn't I AllHail?

    Roland would have understood.

  13. #13
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Of course Letti, thats what this thread is for afterall, and I won't shoot you even.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  14. #14
    West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,659
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    The imprint of sos just isn't as dark.

    Now, this month I'm rereading books 5-7. I may change my mind after a fresh read.

    Hmmm, maybe then you'll be either have a different feeling or could describe why the imprint wasn't as dark..I like that analogy by the way.

    ok. I'm really looking forward this reread. It has been ages since I've read the last three books.

    All-Hail, for me it is really difficult to put these books in order in the first place. I've done it. I've said The Wastelands is my favorite. I've put lists together and said this book over that book. But you know what? It never feels right. Why does there even have to be an order? Why do you have to love one book more than the other? These books are apart of me, do I have to pick one over the other?



    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa



    sugarpop <3

  15. #15
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Of course Letti, thats what this thread is for afterall, and I won't shoot you even.
    Oh...

    great!

    Roland would have understood.

  16. #16
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    All-Hail, for me it is really difficult to put these books in order in the first place.
    Same here. You can see my very honest and painfully thought out, order in that thread too.


    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Why does there even have to be an order? Why do you have to love one book more than the other? These books are apart of me, do I have to pick one over the other?

    There doesn't have to be at all. Lots of Tower Junkies just list the whole series as their favorite book. But I've noticed that those who are able to list
    their favorites in order, invariably list SOS at the bottom and thats what I was wondering about.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  17. #17
    Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    1,072
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    In my case I think its because I disliked Susanah's character. The only time I found her fun to read was when she was Detta. Otherwise, I found her anywhere from boring to tedious.

  18. #18
    Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,829
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    For me, the urgent tone to SoS makes it a distinctly transitional book in the series. The other DT books stand better alone as distinct entities in and of themselves. SoS basically sets the stage for the final novel. Its not the type of book I would read on its own, but only in the service of preparing myself for the final chapter of the series. Susannah is my least favorite character as well (but probably not to the extent of Cozener).

  19. #19
    The Tenant Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean has much to be proud of Jean's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chinatown
    Posts
    22,488
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Tower Junkies I've asked this question to invariably give me the answer that goes something like this "It's my least favorite because it focuses so heavily on Susannah who is my least favorite character in the Ka-tet of 19".
    yes, yes, Susannah! my favorite from the ka-tet!

    Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

    bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  20. #20
    Big Coffin Hunter jayson is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    For me, the urgent tone to SoS makes it a distinctly transitional book in the series. The other DT books stand better alone as distinct entities in and of themselves. SoS basically sets the stage for the final novel. Its not the type of book I would read on its own, but only in the service of preparing myself for the final chapter of the series. Susannah is my least favorite character as well (but probably not to the extent of Cozener).
    Good point Jude. It makes a decent re-read because it is so fast-pace, but it's near impossible to not read #7 next because it just leaves you hanging there. I do still enjoy it if only for the wealth of metaphysical stuff that gets explained in there [particularly Mia's explanation of things arising from the Prim]. It doesn't stand alone well, certainly not as books like W&G and Wolves do as almost self-contained entities.

  21. #21
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    For me, the urgent tone to SoS makes it a distinctly transitional book in the series. The other DT books stand better alone as distinct entities in and of themselves. SoS basically sets the stage for the final novel. Its not the type of book I would read on its own, but only in the service of preparing myself for the final chapter of the series. Susannah is my least favorite character as well (but probably not to the extent of Cozener).
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post

    Good point Jude. It makes a decent re-read because it is so fast-pace, but it's near impossible to not read #7 next because it just leaves you hanging there. I do still enjoy it if only for the wealth of metaphysical stuff that gets explained in there [particularly Mia's explanation of things arising from the Prim]. It doesn't stand alone well, certainly not as books like W&G and Wolves do as almost self-contained entities.

    Just admit it guys, you hate Susannah's character because she's black.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  22. #22
    Big Coffin Hunter jayson is on a distinguished road

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post

    Just admit it guys, you hate Susannah's character because she's black.
    It's actually one of the few things I do like about Susannah.

  23. #23
    DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,451
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

    "When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

  24. #24
    Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    1,072
    My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    I hate her because she's crippled, crazy, AND black. See! Thats 3 strikes right there! She's struck out before she ever gets up to bat!

  25. #25
    damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Posts
    9,068
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    It must be hard sometimes to read the series if you hate any of the characters... I hardly ever hate a character. Usually I like them all and I have favourites.

    Roland would have understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts