Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Robocop Discussion Thread

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Robocop Discussion Thread

My apologies if this has already been posted. My meager contribution to this scintillating topic can be found here:

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, a bonus discussion of the relative merits of D.C. Comics vs. Marvel.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Some good discussion. For myself, RoboCop is so perfect in its mix of satire and OTT violence that I'm not just reluctant to see the remake, but also the sequels to the original. I might see it, but I'd be surprised if it was as good as the original, or even Dredd, which had a lot of the spirit and tone of the original RoboCop. It is interesting to see that there are political overtones to the new film, particularly foreign policy, but things like Detroit looking less than dystopia than the original kinda bugs me.

As for DC vs Marvel: there's a lot of things I like and dislike from both universes, but my favourite ongoing comics overall are mostly from British anthology series 2000AD, and this is another reason why I'm still sad about Dredd's lack of box office success: not just because it was a great old school scifi action movie and a decent adaptation of 2000AD's most popular character (from a British comic fan's perspective, at least), but also because it reduces the chances of any other 2000AD adaptations of truly, truly great characters, especially the Strontium Dog series, which is basically a cross between X-Men and Firefly.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike