+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Doctor Sleep movie set for 2020

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sle...ahn-mcclarnon/
    Doctor Sleep, the official sequel to Stephen King‘s The Shining which is almost nothing like The Shining, continues to attract a great cast. Zahn McClarnon, who broke out in a big way on the most recent season of Westworld, has come aboard to play villainous character Crow Daddy. In addition to that, Carl Lumbly and Alex Essoe will play Shining characters Dick Halloran and Wendy Torrance.

If you follow my writing here at /Film (and I hope you do!), you know by now that I’m a big Stephen King nerd. And yet, I’m not a fan of his Shining follow-up Doctor Sleep. I could give you a laundry list of reasons why, but I’ll just boil it down to this: it’s bad. Despite that, I can’t help but be excited for the Doctor Sleep movie, which has amassed quite an impressive list of talent.

The latest: Variety reports that Zahn McClarnon, who has appeared on Fargo and give an incredible performance on the most recent season of Westworld, will play Crow Daddy in the film. Crow Daddy is a member of the True Knot, a group of “psychic vampires” who roam the country in RVs, looking for psychic people to feed on. Crow Daddy is the right-hand-man and lover of Rose the Hat, the leader of the group. Rose is being played by the great Rebecca Ferguson. In addition to Ferguson, Doctor Sleep stars Ewan McGregor as the grown-up Danny Torrance – the young boy with psychic powers from The Shining. McClarnon, Ferguson and McGregor are all excellent actors in their own unique ways, and their presence in the film is a huge bonus. So is the fact that the film is being helmed by Mike Flanagan, who is one of the best horror directors working right now.

Meanwhile, Deadline says Carl Lumbly, an actor who appeared in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, will play Dick Halloran. Halloran, as you might recall, was the cook at the Overlook Hotel – the setting for The Shining. He possessed psychic powers known as “the shining”, and recognized those same powers in Danny Torrance. Scatman Crothers played Dick in Stanley Kubrick’s movie. Deadline also reports that Alex Essoe will play Wendy Torrance, Danny’s mother, who was played by Shelley Duvall in the Kubrick movie. Essoe gave an incredibly performance in the indie horror film Starry Eyes.

I had wondered how Flanagan would approach Doctor Sleep. The film is being sold as the “sequel to The Shining“, but here’s the thing – Kubrick’s Shining film adaptation is very different than King’s novel, a fact that continues to irk King to this day. I was curious to see if Flanagan would change his adaptation to be more in line with Kubrick’s film, or if he would stick closer to King’s novel. Lumbly’s casting as Dick Halloran seems to confirm the latter. Because as you may recall, Holloran died at the end of Kubrick’s film when Jack Nicholson’s Jack Torrance took an axe to his chest. In King’s novel, however, Halloran lives.

Which asks a big question: how will the general public react to this? Will the general public go into Doctor Sleep expecting it to continue what Kubrick’s movie started? If so, folks are going to be sorely disappointed, and confused. There’s still plenty of time for Warner Bros. to come up with a clever marketing plan to sort all this out. For now, we’ll just have to wait and wonder.

Doctor Sleep opens on January 24, 2020.

The Hound CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Manni Folken Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Outstanding actor. Glad to read this news.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

Demon of the Prim MikeDuke is a jewel in the rough MikeDuke is a jewel in the rough MikeDuke is a jewel in the rough

My Mood
    Cheerful

So this might follow the TV mini-series of The Shining more then the movie? If so, I have no problem with that because I liked the min-series and that followed The Shining book more faithfully I think.

The Hound CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface has a spectacular aura about CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.

A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Manni Folken Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861 has a brilliant future Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.
    I could get on board with that as well.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

Demon of the Prim MikeDuke is a jewel in the rough MikeDuke is a jewel in the rough MikeDuke is a jewel in the rough

My Mood
    Cheerful

I could see that as well. But that might be too many remakes? I mean, they are already doing Pet Semetary again right? And they want to get this out as soon as possible because IT took everybody by storm. Making another Shining, then do DR. Sleep would probably make sense, but I think it would just push DR. Sleep too far back as well. I mean, look at what it took to finally nail down The Stand. I admit that I haven't read DR. Sleep so I don't know how much of The first Shinning (beyond Danny using his shine) there would be.

Country
    Country Flag

There are a few significant 'Shining' connections but it's not a direct sequel. 'Black House' is probably the closest example as to the type of continuation it is.

My Collection

My Mood
    Cheerful

OK. Thanks. I read Black House a long time ago and I remember liking it. The issue is the was never a Talisman movie first for the Black House to follow. I hope what ever direction they go in, It turns out to be a good movie.
    good movie.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae has a brilliant future mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ewan McGregor talks a tiny bit about Doctor Sleep with Stephen Colbert here (around 4:50 in):

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

She looks really adorable. I didn't like the book much but I'm actually really looking forward to the adaptation.

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.news4jax.com/entertainme...st-marys-scene
    A Georgia casting agency is looking to hire extras for the sequel to Stephen King’s “The Shining” when it films in St. Marys on Monday.

The Warner Bros. feature film, “Doctor Sleep,” stars Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson. Monday’s scene takes place during the daytime in a beachside community in 1980.

“We are casting a mix of people to be walking or sitting nearby our lead characters during a conversation,” according to a flyer from Atlanta-based Tammy Smith Casting.

Fortunately, you don’t have to enjoy scary movies to get a part. The agency is looking for men and women of all ethnicities, ages 18 to 80. Bonus points if you own a car made from 1970 to 1980.

The jobs pay $72 for the day with overtime after eight hours. If your car is used in the production, you’ll get an additional $175. Plus, meals will be provided.

Here’s how to apply:

Send an email to projects1@TSCasting.com with “1980” in the subject line.
    Include two current photos, one from the chest up and one from the knees up.
    Make sure you’re smiling in one photo. Don’t smile in the other, but have a pleasant expression.
    If you own an older vehicle, please include a photo of that as well.
    In the body of your email, include your first and last name, phone number, email address, city and state where you live, age, height, weight and any vehicle information.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3