Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep movie set for 2019

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sle...ahn-mcclarnon/
    Doctor Sleep, the official sequel to Stephen King‘s The Shining which is almost nothing like The Shining, continues to attract a great cast. Zahn McClarnon, who broke out in a big way on the most recent season of Westworld, has come aboard to play villainous character Crow Daddy. In addition to that, Carl Lumbly and Alex Essoe will play Shining characters Dick Halloran and Wendy Torrance.

If you follow my writing here at /Film (and I hope you do!), you know by now that I’m a big Stephen King nerd. And yet, I’m not a fan of his Shining follow-up Doctor Sleep. I could give you a laundry list of reasons why, but I’ll just boil it down to this: it’s bad. Despite that, I can’t help but be excited for the Doctor Sleep movie, which has amassed quite an impressive list of talent.

The latest: Variety reports that Zahn McClarnon, who has appeared on Fargo and give an incredible performance on the most recent season of Westworld, will play Crow Daddy in the film. Crow Daddy is a member of the True Knot, a group of “psychic vampires” who roam the country in RVs, looking for psychic people to feed on. Crow Daddy is the right-hand-man and lover of Rose the Hat, the leader of the group. Rose is being played by the great Rebecca Ferguson. In addition to Ferguson, Doctor Sleep stars Ewan McGregor as the grown-up Danny Torrance – the young boy with psychic powers from The Shining. McClarnon, Ferguson and McGregor are all excellent actors in their own unique ways, and their presence in the film is a huge bonus. So is the fact that the film is being helmed by Mike Flanagan, who is one of the best horror directors working right now.

Meanwhile, Deadline says Carl Lumbly, an actor who appeared in The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, will play Dick Halloran. Halloran, as you might recall, was the cook at the Overlook Hotel – the setting for The Shining. He possessed psychic powers known as “the shining”, and recognized those same powers in Danny Torrance. Scatman Crothers played Dick in Stanley Kubrick’s movie. Deadline also reports that Alex Essoe will play Wendy Torrance, Danny’s mother, who was played by Shelley Duvall in the Kubrick movie. Essoe gave an incredibly performance in the indie horror film Starry Eyes.

I had wondered how Flanagan would approach Doctor Sleep. The film is being sold as the “sequel to The Shining“, but here’s the thing – Kubrick’s Shining film adaptation is very different than King’s novel, a fact that continues to irk King to this day. I was curious to see if Flanagan would change his adaptation to be more in line with Kubrick’s film, or if he would stick closer to King’s novel. Lumbly’s casting as Dick Halloran seems to confirm the latter. Because as you may recall, Holloran died at the end of Kubrick’s film when Jack Nicholson’s Jack Torrance took an axe to his chest. In King’s novel, however, Halloran lives.

Which asks a big question: how will the general public react to this? Will the general public go into Doctor Sleep expecting it to continue what Kubrick’s movie started? If so, folks are going to be sorely disappointed, and confused. There’s still plenty of time for Warner Bros. to come up with a clever marketing plan to sort all this out. For now, we’ll just have to wait and wonder.

Doctor Sleep opens on January 24, 2020.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Outstanding actor. Glad to read this news.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

So this might follow the TV mini-series of The Shining more then the movie? If so, I have no problem with that because I liked the min-series and that followed The Shining book more faithfully I think.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.
    I could get on board with that as well.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I could see that as well. But that might be too many remakes? I mean, they are already doing Pet Semetary again right? And they want to get this out as soon as possible because IT took everybody by storm. Making another Shining, then do DR. Sleep would probably make sense, but I think it would just push DR. Sleep too far back as well. I mean, look at what it took to finally nail down The Stand. I admit that I haven't read DR. Sleep so I don't know how much of The first Shinning (beyond Danny using his shine) there would be.

Country
    Country Flag

There are a few significant 'Shining' connections but it's not a direct sequel. 'Black House' is probably the closest example as to the type of continuation it is.

My Collection

My Mood
    Cool

OK. Thanks. I read Black House a long time ago and I remember liking it. The issue is the was never a Talisman movie first for the Black House to follow. I hope what ever direction they go in, It turns out to be a good movie.
    good movie.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ewan McGregor talks a tiny bit about Doctor Sleep with Stephen Colbert here (around 4:50 in):

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

She looks really adorable. I didn't like the book much but I'm actually really looking forward to the adaptation.

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.news4jax.com/entertainme...st-marys-scene
    A Georgia casting agency is looking to hire extras for the sequel to Stephen King’s “The Shining” when it films in St. Marys on Monday.

The Warner Bros. feature film, “Doctor Sleep,” stars Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson. Monday’s scene takes place during the daytime in a beachside community in 1980.

“We are casting a mix of people to be walking or sitting nearby our lead characters during a conversation,” according to a flyer from Atlanta-based Tammy Smith Casting.

Fortunately, you don’t have to enjoy scary movies to get a part. The agency is looking for men and women of all ethnicities, ages 18 to 80. Bonus points if you own a car made from 1970 to 1980.

The jobs pay $72 for the day with overtime after eight hours. If your car is used in the production, you’ll get an additional $175. Plus, meals will be provided.

Here’s how to apply:

Send an email to projects1@TSCasting.com with “1980” in the subject line.
    Include two current photos, one from the chest up and one from the knees up.
    Make sure you’re smiling in one photo. Don’t smile in the other, but have a pleasant expression.
    If you own an older vehicle, please include a photo of that as well.
    In the body of your email, include your first and last name, phone number, email address, city and state where you live, age, height, weight and any vehicle information.

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sle...uce-greenwood/
    Gerald’s Game actor Bruce Greenwood is reuniting with Mike Flanagan for another Stephen King adaptation. Greenwood is the latest addition to the Doctor Sleep cast, based on King’s sequel to The Shining. The film stars Ewan McGregor stars as the grown up Danny Torrance, who must now deal with a nomadic horde of psychic vampires.

Deadline broke the news about Greenwood joining the Doctor Sleep cast. Per their report, Greenwood is playing a character named Dr. John, and that the description of this character is being kept under wraps. Greenwood is likely playing Dr. John Dalton, a family physician from King’s novel. Dalton is doctor to Abra Stone, a young girl with the psychic gift known as the shining. Abra becomes the target of the True Knot, a gang of immortals who feed off of psychic energy. Through the course of the story, the adult Danny Torrance – the young boy from The Shining – becomes Abra’s protector.

Ewan McGregor is playing Danny, while Kyliegh Curran is Abra. Rebecca Ferguson is portraying Rose, the leader of the True Knot. Other cast members include Carl Lumbly, Alex Essoe and Zahn McClarnon. As mentioned above, this will mark Greenwood’s second King adaptation with Flanagan, having worked with the filmmaker on Netflix’s Gerald’s Game. Flanagan’s connection, and the cast he’s assembled, are keeping me optimistic about the project – even though I don’t particularly care for King’s novel.

It will be interesting to see how Doctor Sleep is marketed, because while it serves as a sequel to King’s The Shining book, a majority of people are more familiar with Stanley Kubrick’s Shining film adaptation. And as King himself has complained about several times over the decades, Kubrick’s film is drastically different than the novel. If audiences go into Doctor Sleep expecting a connection to Kubrick’s film, they’re going to be very surprised.

Here’s the lengthy synopsis of the Doctor Sleep novel:

On highways across America, a tribe of people called the True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and spunky twelve-year-old Abra Stone learns, the True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the steam that children with the shining produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel, where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant shining power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, glorious story that will thrill the millions of devoted readers of The Shining and satisfy anyone new to this icon in the Stephen King canon.

Doctor Sleep opens on January 24, 2020.

Country
    Country Flag

https://deadline.com/2018/09/doctor-...ss-1202469052/
    Code Black and Revenge actress Emily Alyn Lind has boarded Warner Bros.’The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep as Snakebite Andi who is a member of the nomadic psychic groups the True Knot who feed off the ‘steam’ of those children gifted with ‘the Shining’. Rose the Hat, the True Knot’s leader, has her main target in sight which is Abra Stone.

In the Stephen King novel Doctor Sleep, Andi was the first member of the True Knot to be introduced. She was sexually abused by her father, leading her to develop a hatred of all men and subsequently become a lesbian without realizing it. She’s nicknamed Snakebite because of her snake tattoo. Andi has the ability to make people fall asleep through suggestion. She’s in a relationship with fellow True Knot member Silent Sarey.

Mike Flanagan directs Doctor Sleep and adapted King’s novel. Trevor Macy and Jon Berg are producing. Lind joins already announced Ewan McGregor (grown up Danny Torrance), Rebecca Ferguson (Rose the Hat, leader of the True Knots), Bruce Greenwood, Kyliegh Curran (Abra Stone who has the gift of ‘the Shining’), Carl Lumbly, Alex Essoe and Zahn McClarnon.

Lind just concluded her work as a regular on Code Black playing Marcia Gay Harden’s daughter and will next be seen in Replicas with Keanu Reeves. For Revenge fans, Lind played the young Amanda Clarke. Lind’s talent reps are Coast to Coast, Dan Spilo at Industry Entertainment, and attorney Dave Feldman.

Doctor Sleep hits theaters on Jan. 24, 2020.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.startribune.com/movie-seq...ast/494411971/
    A movie sequel to Stephen King's horror classic "The Shining" has begun filming on the Georgia coast.

Filmmakers set up vehicles including large RVs, a tent, beach chairs, a picnic table and a fire pit on the beach at St. Simons Island for scenes being shot Tuesday and Wednesday for the movie "Doctor Sleep," based on King's 2013 book of the same name, The Brunswick News reported .

The Warner Brothers production stars Ewan McGregor as an adult Danny Torrance, last seen as a child with psychic powers in the Stanley Kubrick-directed 1980 film "The Shining."

A filming permit issued by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources said the scenes being shot on St. Simons Island feature a group of actors camping on the beach.

People strolling in the sand while the film crew was setting up stopped for a glimpse of Hollywood in action.

"It's not my kind of movie, I'm not a horror fan," said island resident Laurel Barnes. "But it's fascinating to watch them do this."

Donna Bassett, another island resident, was taking a close look at the cars, trucks and RVs being used.

"There's so much detail there," Bassett said. .On the side of the RV it says 'Vengeance.' I think they painted it on there."

Scenes for "Doctor Sleep" are also being shot in the coastal city of St. Marys, south of St. Simons near the Georgia-Florida state line.

Georgia officials recently said the past year was the busiest ever for movies and TV shows filmed in the state. There were 455 movie and TV productions filmed in Georgia during the 2018 fiscal year that ended June 30. Those projects brought $2.7 billion in direct spending to the state.

Recent Georgia movie projects include Mark Wahlberg's action movie "Mile 22" and a live-action remake of "The Little Mermaid." Both films opened in theaters Friday. Upcoming TV seasons of Netflix's "Ozark" and AMC's "The Walking Dead" were also shot in Georgia.

Country
    Country Flag

https://bloody-disgusting.com/interv...oyd-exclusive/
    Mike Flanagan took time off from filming the Stephen King adaptation Doctor Sleep to talk to Bloody Disgusting about his Netflix series “The Haunting of Hill House”. Naturally, we had to poke him for insights into Doctor Sleep as well.

The book is King’s follow-up to his seminal novel “The Shining”, with a grown-up Danny Torrance (Ewan McGregor) as the lead. Danny Lloyd, who played Danny as a child in Stanley Kubrick’s movie The Shining, only acted once more in a TV movie. Flanagan says the production of Doctor Sleep did get in touch with Lloyd, but that’s all he’d reveal to us…

“It’s interesting, he’s a teacher, lives in the midwest,” Flanagan told us in a phone interview. “We definitely spoke to him. I don’t want to spoil anything but yeah, we absolutely got in touch.”

Flanagan also confirmed to us that his film will acknowledge Kubrick’s The Shining in some way, even if it’s an adaptation of King’s sequel rather than a sequel to Kubrick’s movie.

“Yeah, I think you do,” Flanagan said. “I think you do have to acknowledge that. There is no version of the world where I am trying not to acknowledge one of the greatest films ever made. There’s no upside in shying away from that reality.”

“At the same time, this is not The Shining,” Flanagan added.

“It’s its own story and in a very specific way. If you’ve read the book, you know exactly why it’s so different but it’s quite a tightrope that we’re walking I think. I’m having a great time doing it. I’m just going to get the movie out and then turn off the internet for two weeks and see how it all goes.”

We’ll bring you more with Mike Flanagan on “The Haunting of Hill House,” which premieres on Netflix on October 12.

Country
    Country Flag

There is no version of the world where I am trying not to acknowledge one of the greatest films ever made.

Country
    Country Flag

Watching Hill House on Netflix makes me wish that Flanagan would adapt The Shining. I think he could do the book justice.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Watching Hill House on Netflix makes me wish that Flanagan would adapt The Shining. I think he could do the book justice.
    Concur.

Country
    Country Flag

https://theblast.com/jacob-tremblay-...leep-contract/
    Jacob Tremblay is continuing his pint-sized dominance of Hollywood, and has secured the bag for a new movie based on one of Stephen King’s horrifying tales.

Tremblay, known for flicks like “Room” and “Wonder,” inked a $100,000 deal for a role in “Doctor Sleep,” according to his contract. The scary movie, which began shooting in October, is based on a 2013 book by King.

The six-figure payment isn’t for months of work either, the 12-year-old star is making the fat stacks for only 2 days of work! If they need him to shoot additional scenes past the two required days, he will receive $50,000 per day.

The young star actually signed his own contract, and his signature is just adorable.

Tremblay’s role is only listed as “Role #24,” but “Doctor Sleep” is actually a sequel to the classic 1977 horror story, “The Shining.” “Doctor Sleep” follows the now-grown Danny Torrance as he struggles with psychic powers and alcoholism.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    https://theblast.com/jacob-tremblay-...leep-contract/
    Jacob Tremblay is continuing his pint-sized dominance of Hollywood, and has secured the bag for a new movie based on one of Stephen King’s horrifying tales.

Tremblay, known for flicks like “Room” and “Wonder,” inked a $100,000 deal for a role in “Doctor Sleep,” according to his contract. The scary movie, which began shooting in October, is based on a 2013 book by King.

The six-figure payment isn’t for months of work either, the 12-year-old star is making the fat stacks for only 2 days of work! If they need him to shoot additional scenes past the two required days, he will receive $50,000 per day.

The young star actually signed his own contract, and his signature is just adorable.

Tremblay’s role is only listed as “Role #24,” but “Doctor Sleep” is actually a sequel to the classic 1977 horror story, “The Shining.” “Doctor Sleep” follows the now-grown Danny Torrance as he struggles with psychic powers and alcoholism.

On a side note, Mae I never realized you were from, Jersey!!!! Know why there are so many bridges in, Jersey?????

Spoiler:
    It's cause of all the Trolls!!!! lol j/k lol Without, Jersey how would we ever get from N.Y. to D.C.???? LOL

Country
    Country Flag

Jersey's the butt of many jokes but I love it here.

Also:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...kings-shining/
    Filming has officially wrapped on Doctor Sleep, Warner Bros. Pictures’ sequel to The Shining, announces director Mike Flanagan.

“So that’s a wrap on DOCTOR SLEEP! It’s been a long, crazy, truly unique experience. I read the novel as soon as it came out back in 2013, fascinated and moved by the epic story of Dan Torrance and Abra Stone, but I never imagined for a moment that I’d be the person to bring it to the big screen. It’s been an honor to spend the last five months with this fantastic cast and crew, and to be trusted with Stephen King’s extraordinary story. One of the highlights of my career, without a doubt.

Shine on, everyone. Shine on.“

Carl Lumbly plays Dick Hallorann with Alex Essoe playing Wendy Torrance in the continuation of the storyline from The Shining. Kyliegh Curran has been cast in the role of Abra Stone, a girl who has the gift of ‘The Shining’. Bruce Greenwood plays the role of Dr. John. Alyn Lind is Snakebite Andi, with Jocelin Donahue also starring.

Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson also star. McGregor stars as the adult version of Danny Torrance, while Ferguson plays Rose the Hat. Jacob Tremblay could be playing a younger Danny.

Flanagan rewrote Akiva Goldsman’s adaptation of Stephen King’s 2013 novel that picks up the life of the Redrum kid when he is in his 40s and struggling with the same demons of anger and alcoholism that plagued his father.

Doctor Sleep hits theaters on Jan. 24, 2020.

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently the movie was moved up on the schedule but no one here noticed?

https://deadline.com/2019/01/warner-...21-1202546092/
    In other major news, The Shining sequel Doctor Sleep jumps from January 24, 2020 to this year, on November 8, as the Burbank lot gives a major vote of confidence to the Mike Flanagan-directed Stephen King adaptation. Trevor Macy and Jon Berg produce. Doctor Sleep will rival Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog, Universal untitled Will Packer comedy and Roland Emmerich’s Midway from Lionsgate.

Meanwhile, Bob Zemeckis’ feature take on Roald Dahl’s novel The Witches will go October 16, 2020. Pic stars Anne Hathaway. Producers are Zemeckis, Jack Rapke, Alfonso Cuarón, Guillermo del Toro and Luke Kelly. Paramount has Micronauts, based on the 1980s toy opening on that date and Universal has a Blumhouse movie.

DC Super Pets is opening May 21, 2021. It takes the place of a WB event title on that date. Jared Stern and Sam Levine direct. Patty Hicks is producing. Super Pets is still the only film scheduled on the weekend preceding the Memorial Day stretch.

The Batman flies on June 25, 2021 as we exclusively reported a few minutes ago. Reeves is directing. He will also produce with Dylan Clark. The Batman is currently the only pic being released that weekend.

An untitled WB event film will open on July 16, 2021. This will be a big title, big stars and four-quad play we hear. It’s the only title currently on the date.

The Suicide Squad on Aug. 6, 2021. Charles Roven and Peter Safran are producing, and as Deadline exclusively reported back in October James Gunn is penning the script and in talks to direct. It’s the only release for that weekend.

Another untitled WB event film will also be released October 1, 2021.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast