Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep movie set for 2019

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont know if it was shared here, but it's known since 2 weeks
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    So this might follow the TV mini-series of The Shining more then the movie? If so, I have no problem with that because I liked the min-series and that followed The Shining book more faithfully I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    If they make it a sequel to anything it'll probably be the Kubrick film just because that's the one most people know about. If I had been in charge I would have made Flanagan do another version of 'The Shining' (because I think he could do it justice while staying faithful) and then make 'Doctor Sleep' a sequel to that.
    The TV version of "The Shining" was produced by, King and was actually his answer to the Kubrik film which he famously disliked. The Kubrik film while iconic and probably more well known was not an accurate adaption of the book to film. The TV version was far more accurate. Nevertheless, as stated in the article above, "Dr. Sleep" will be a sequel to the book/TV version of the Shining if for nothing else than, Halloran being cast in DS. As the article points out, Kubrik killed Halloran off in his version (for no apparent reason IMHO).

The idea that they would go back and remake the Kubrik film in order to make the King sequel seems a little silly and just ain't gonna happen. FWIW, I am not a fan of the Kubrik film in any way shape or form. About the only thing, Kubrik got right in my opinion was casting, Nicholson as, Jack. So, I admit to being biased. I loved the book, liked the TV version and also very much enjoyed the King sequel, "Dr. Sleep" so take that into account when reading this. So far, the casting news and all I've heard surrounding this film look very good for a faithful adaption of the original sequel novel. Can't wait to see what, Flanagan does with this. It should be a hoot, IMHO

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know it wouldn't happen but IMO both versions of The Shining were failures and watching Flanagan's 'Hill House' and 'Gerald's Game' made me think he could be the one person to do a version that's both faithful to the novel and still a good film.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

I'm one of those who liked the miniseries version of The Shining, and I'm happy to see that Doctor Sleep will not be in honor of Kubrick's movie version.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some DOCTOR SLEEP teaser was shown yesterday at cinemacon :
    https://www.slashfilm.com/doctor-sleep-cinemacon/
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

So far, it seems that the movie will be released on october 30th in France, 31st in the UK and november 8th in the USA..

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know someone who has seen this movie and said it is going to be a HUGE STINKER. He hated it and was super disappointed.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I know someone who has seen this movie and said it is going to be a HUGE STINKER. He hated it and was super disappointed.
    Well, now that is disappointing to hear!!!!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same, especially with Flanagan's track record.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    So it continues on with the time-honored tradition of making SK novels into horrible movies.

Great...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

One opinion, folks. Just one opinion...

Country
    Country Flag

I am curious if they read the book given how a number of people didn't like it because it wasn't "The Shining Part 2".

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I am curious if they read the book given how a number of people didn't like it because it wasn't "The Shining Part 2".
    Right.

Usually, marketing a sequel comes down to hey! did you like Movie A? well, here's Movie B!, but if I'm the marketing department for this movie, my #1 concern is expectation management, immediately clueing viewers in to the fact that this is going to be very different from The Shining.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I'm with you on this one, Bev. I'm hoping for a good film. I really liked the book. Hoping for good vibes from other reviewers.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

"That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Right. Because some folks actually like The Shining movie
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm really hoping for something good. But just based on history, it seems like more often than not his novels just don't translate well to film. I remember having high hopes for movies like Cell and The Dark Tower as well. I guess we'll see.

Although I will admit that the track record is getting slightly better recently with things like the new It remake, 1922, Gerald's Game, Mr Mercedes and 11.22.63.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I'm really hoping for something good. But just based on history, it seems like more often than not his novels just don't translate well to film. I remember having high hopes for movies like Cell and The Dark Tower as well. I guess we'll see.

Although I will admit that the track record is getting slightly better recently with things like the new It remake, 1922, Gerald's Game, Mr Mercedes and 11.22.63.
    Cell wasn't that great of a book so no big surprise me there.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo is just really nice Kongo's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I still have high hopes for the movie, and feel no reason to go into panic mode. Afterall just like the book it's based on, people are going to have strong opinions either way. I would think Mike Flanagan has earned our trust at this point

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That looks really good!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That looks really good!
    I like how the trailer tells us that the movie will honor the Kubrick version in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    That looks really good!
    I like how the trailer tells us that the movie will honor the Kubrick version in some ways.
    Yep. I'm inclined to give this move the benefit of the doubt. The whole history of The Shining and subsequently Doctor Sleep is loaded with baggage (Kubrick fans vs King fans, etc, etc), so I'll let the movie speak for itself and I'll judge it for myself. Looking forward to seeing what they've done!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast