Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep movie set for 2019

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Looks very intriguing.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure about Ewan McGregor...
    I cant take him serious... I just keep thinking of Big Fish.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

No Doubt. That was a cool little video. And to hear King talk about was also cool. I sort of felt that in The Shinning, King himself was sort of like the Jack character being an alcoholic (which to me is what the book is really about). The much maligned TV series makes that point better. But now it's Danny that has turned drinking. Being an alcoholic and hitting bottom, sort of the way King probably did in real life. But then Danny turns it around (I am guessing). It is also showing that alcoholism runs in the family for different reasons. I also thought it was incredible that he said, out loud, that this was a sort of sequel to the Kubrick movie, even though we all know how much he disliked that. That video makes me want to see it even more now.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    No Doubt. That was a cool little video. And to hear King talk about was also cool. I sort of felt that in The Shinning, King himself was sort of like the Jack character being an alcoholic (which to me is what the book is really about). The much maligned TV series makes that point better. But now it's Danny that has turned drinking. Being an alcoholic and hitting bottom, sort of the way King probably did in real life. But then Danny turns it around (I am guessing). It is also showing that alcoholism runs in the family for different reasons. I also thought it was incredible that he said, out loud, that this was a sort of sequel to the Kubrick movie, even though we all know how much he disliked that. That video makes me want to see it even more now.
    I've been a King fan since the beginning back in the mid 70's. From the tenor of this post it appears to me that you became a fan many years later. That's awesome and cool, I just may have a different perspective on this original novel and the sequel both as a book and film some 20 aught years after the original classic. As far as I knew, King was still an alcoholic while writing and publishing "The Shining". Where he actually "was: on the subject personally at that time I couldn't say, but as I recall he didn't come "out publicly" as an alcoholic and substance abuser until around the time (or shortly thereafter) of the release of "Tommyknockers".

Perhaps regardless, "Dr. Sleep" came out many years later while, King was well into recovery and he certainly reflects his own issues/struggles/recovery to a greater or lesser extent in "Danny" as a significantly aged and recovering alcoholic character. As far as the film goes as a rendition of the book in film, to my knowledge it is not "sort of" sequel to the, "Kubrick film". According to what I have read, King still is not pleased with the original "Shining", but has come to some sort of peace with the situation. The Dr. Sleep director made a concious choice to utilize the iconic nature of the original film to help frame the retrospective flash backs in the book by editing in the familiar scenes from Kubrick's film as a better way to educate those film goers that had never read "The Shining" book, but saw the Kubrick movie as a better frame of reference for those audiences as a better storytelling choice and marketing choice.

I hope that gives you and any others a little better background and understanding behind the new film. FWIW, I really enjoyed the book and found it to be like getting a visit from an old and cherished friend while reading it. I'm therefore looking forward to the film and really don't have any issue with the use of clips being included as a storytelling device in this film. I didn't at all care for the Kubrick film as a valid interpetation of the book, but hell, virtually all of us have seen it and come to terms with it some form over the years. lol So, I get it as a film device and am more interested in how the "Danny 20 some odd years later" character is dealt with in the film and will likely not have any issues with the Kubrick edits/clips. BTW, can't wait for this film!!!!! lol lol Trailers look very good (but then they so often do, right?) lol lol

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

That's cool Merlin. And your right. I came to King later. In the mid 80's. I figured that he was still battling with his addiction during The Shining. That's why I, personally, enjoyed the TV mini-series of The Shinning. I knew King did not like the Kubrick version but like you has said he has come to terms with it. I did not read Dr. Sleep (lazy), so I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Anyway, I agree with what you wrote. I am just interested in where he takes the character of Danny.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's cool Merlin. And your right. I came to King later. In the mid 80's. I figured that he was still battling with his addiction during The Shining. That's why I, personally, enjoyed the TV mini-series of The Shinning. I knew King did not like the Kubrick version but like you has said he has come to terms with it. I did not read Dr. Sleep (lazy), so I am looking forward to seeing the movie. Anyway, I agree with what you wrote. I am just interested in where he takes the character of Danny.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I've been a King fan since the beginning back in the mid 70's. From the tenor of this post it appears to me that you became a fan many years later. That's awesome and cool, I just may have a different perspective on this original novel and the sequel both as a book and film some 20 aught years after the original classic. As far as I knew, King was still an alcoholic while writing and publishing "The Shining". Where he actually "was: on the subject personally at that time I couldn't say, but as I recall he didn't come "out publicly" as an alcoholic and substance abuser until around the time (or shortly thereafter) of the release of "Tommyknockers".

Perhaps regardless, "Dr. Sleep" came out many years later while, King was well into recovery and he certainly reflects his own issues/struggles/recovery to a greater or lesser extent in "Danny" as a significantly aged and recovering alcoholic character. As far as the film goes as a rendition of the book in film, to my knowledge it is not "sort of" sequel to the, "Kubrick film". According to what I have read, King still is not pleased with the original "Shining", but has come to some sort of peace with the situation. The Dr. Sleep director made a concious choice to utilize the iconic nature of the original film to help frame the retrospective flash backs in the book by editing in the familiar scenes from Kubrick's film as a better way to educate those film goers that had never read "The Shining" book, but saw the Kubrick movie as a better frame of reference for those audiences as a better storytelling choice and marketing choice.

I hope that gives you and any others a little better background and understanding behind the new film. FWIW, I really enjoyed the book and found it to be like getting a visit from an old and cherished friend while reading it. I'm therefore looking forward to the film and really don't have any issue with the use of clips being included as a storytelling device in this film. I didn't at all care for the Kubrick film as a valid interpetation of the book, but hell, virtually all of us have seen it and come to terms with it some form over the years. lol So, I get it as a film device and am more interested in how the "Danny 20 some odd years later" character is dealt with in the film and will likely not have any issues with the Kubrick edits/clips. BTW, can't wait for this film!!!!! lol lol Trailers look very good (but then they so often do, right?) lol lol
    +1

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My daughter invited me to see "IT 2" yesterday and naturally they showed the trailer for "Dr. Sleep" before the film (which was excellent IMHO). Seeing it on the big screen with the Dolby sound and all just got me even more pumped to see this film when it comes out!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cool

I think they will do a good job with Dr. Sleep. Like I said, not having read the book is probably a bummer, but that's usually the way things go with me.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly, I'm going to have to order some drinks for this movie then.
    I am officially excited about the movie.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So the movie gets the "Stephen King's" title?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not crazy about these posters. Kind of dreading all the "'member Kubrick's 'The Shining'?" that they seem to be doing.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The next chapter, like It Chapter 2...
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I have ZERO hope for this movie. My insider pal said they did do some re-shoots and he went back for a audience review and hated it just as much. He said they are trying to save it with lots of Shining footage but it doesn't... it is one I will probably skip unless there is a miracle in the final edits.
    That is my fear. Typical Hollywood dreck. Cobbled together formulas designed to exploit the Kubrick movie but doing the opposite and bombing. I hope I'm wrong but the trailer and posters seem to point in that direction. I'm actually a bit more excited for this movie after meeting Danny Lloyd but my expectations are very low. And to be honest, the book wasn't that great. Another warmed over King effort with all the usual King characters and storylines he is recycling over and over now.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is more of The Shining in that most recent poster than there is in the entire Dr. Sleep book.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    There is more of The Shining in that most recent poster than there is in the entire Dr. Sleep book.

In the minority that I loved the book (Dr. Sleep) and hated the movie (The Shining) so this doesn't bode well for me.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

In the minority that I loved the book (Dr. Sleep) and hated the movie (The Shining) so this doesn't bode well for me.
    I'm wit you!! However I have high hopes for this film, despite, Webstar's insight offered. I'll be going and either be pleased as punch or, disappointed and feeling like I was punched!!!

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm wit you!! However I have high hopes for this film, despite, Webstar's insight offered. I'll be going and either be pleased as punch or, disappointed and feeling like I was punched!!!
    I guess there is no winning with me because I was disappointed in the book for not being "Shining" enough and ripping the poster for being too ""Shining" ughh. I'm an ass! Ha!

The main issue: I wanted King to write a true sequal to the Shining not Mike Flanagan.

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same here!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No matter what happens love it or hate it it can not be as bad as TDT... I loved the shinning book, I also loved the film despite the fact it only loosely followed the book.. also really liked Dr sleep book... withhold judgment on ewan until I see it (on the big screen) but again compared to TDT its gotta be better.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess there is no winning with me because I was disappointed in the book for not being "Shining" enough and ripping the poster for being too ""Shining" ughh. I'm an ass! Ha!

The main issue: I wanted King to write a true sequal to the Shining not Mike Flanagan.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts regarding "What you wanted from, King" in Dr.Sleep. We can do it via PM so as to not derail the thread. If you would be so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    No matter what happens love it or hate it it can not be as bad as TDT... I loved the shinning book, I also loved the film despite the fact it only loosely followed the book.. also really liked Dr sleep book... withhold judgment on ewan until I see it (on the big screen) but again compared to TDT its gotta be better.
    Gotta agree with both of you here regarding TDT Movie. IMHO that was an even bigger rape of a King novel than even, Kubrick!!!! lol lol

Spoiler:
    Please take notice that I highlighted "IMHO".

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mike Flanagan is interested in adapting 2 other books by King...
    >>> https://www.reddit.com/r/stephenking...ther_books_by/
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd trust Mike Flanagan with anything at this point.

Gotta agree with both of you here regarding TDT Movie. IMHO that was an even bigger rape of a King novel than even, Kubrick!!!! lol lol
    Yeah. If The Shining is per King's analogy the beautiful car with the engine torn out then the Dark Tower film is that car covered in bird poop and beaten with a baseball bat.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast