Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought the premise was that each season was independent, Of course a "non" here or there not withstanding.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

My sister thinks she figured out the mystery in the first episode. I have to admit, I think it's plausible. It's a somewhat "out there" theory, but I could see it working. There have been quite a few hints so far.

I won't post it because I don't want to ruin the season in case she's right. She has a good track record of nailing stuff like that when it comes to TV and movies.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

For those who saw last night's episode (#3), the Conway Twitty impersonator at the beginning was played by Jake La Botz, who was "the Shape" in Ghost Brothers of Darkland County.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So the answer wasn't rock salt but rubber buckshot or riot shot. I still think he would have been way worse off at that range. Hell, people have been killed by blanks at a close enough range.

Anyway, it is starting to pickup. I enjoyed this episode the most of this season so far. It might be because they were finally doing some detective work. I also like the Twin Peaks black lodge vibe that the opening scene had even though it was apparently country music night.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Jake La Botz, who played "the Shape" in Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, will appear on this week's episode.
    ...as a Conway Twitty impersonator!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like this season of True Detective still isn't getting people excited. I actually enjoyed the episode last week and the season has grown on me somewhat. The end of the episode a few weeks back was really good. One of the better shoot-out scenes I've seen on TV. I really think that's what this season is missing - action.

I don't need anymore scenes where Vince Vaughn talks to the ceiling.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess we are gonna really find out if Pizzolatto can defeat the sophmore slump, or if he is really just a hack who plagiarized the meat of what made season 1 good from Thomas Ligotti. It isn't looking pretty so far, but i'm willing to give em the benefit of the doubt and watch.

Im intrigued to read Galveston to see what i think about that piece of writing.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm trying so hard to like this second season, but coming off such an amazing first season, and there being such a convoluted plot which is hard to follow, I'm really struggling to enjoy this.

With only three episodes to go, I just can't see how they're going to turn this one around.

Anyway, did anyone else pick up that the plastic surgeon character was played by the one and only Rick "Jessie's Girl" Springfield?!

I didn't recognize him the first time he appeared and was astonished to discover that's who it was. He was more recognizable last week, when he was getting the crap beat out of him.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by craigobau View Post
    I'm trying so hard to like this second season, but coming off such an amazing first season, and there being such a convoluted plot which is hard to follow, I'm really struggling to enjoy this.

With only three episodes to go, I just can't see how they're going to turn this one around.

Anyway, did anyone else pick up that the plastic surgeon character was played by the one and only Rick "Jessie's Girl" Springfield?!
    I felt the same way, but then the last two episodes really got me hooked. I can't wait to see last week's final scene realized this week.

John F. Kennedy wordslingers will become famous soon enough wordslingers's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

The season's really growing on me, really! I have to really put it into my head that I'm watching another show, though. I think it's more enjoyable to think of it as a completely separate thing, because comparing it to the first season is almost entirely pointless. What keeps bringing me back are the characters -- I really like Ani and Ray. Not so much the others, but the focus tends to be on them anyway.

Also, the final scene last night was, uh. something, wasn't it?

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wordslingers View Post
    The season's really growing on me, really! I have to really put it into my head that I'm watching another show, though. I think it's more enjoyable to think of it as a completely separate thing, because comparing it to the first season is almost entirely pointless. What keeps bringing me back are the characters -- I really like Ani and Ray. Not so much the others, but the focus tends to be on them anyway.

I completely agree. No point comparing the two season's and we've had two good episodes in a row now and hopefully the final two episodes will be even better.

The final scene was very intense, although I thought the ease by which they found the room with the incriminating documents and then Ani conveniently existing the house just as Paul arrived at the front door was a bit too simple considering how complex the rest of the storyline has been.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wordslingers View Post

Actually, I feel the show focuses too much on Vince Vaughn's character at times. I think he gets just as much screen time as anybody else.

The final scene was really good. Very intense and a very interesting choice of music over that scene. It had a very 1940's/1950's old Hollywood film vibe.

I just hope everything comes together in the end. My main problem with the show this season is a weak mystery. Either way, whether you like the show or not, you have to respect the work Colin Farrell is doing. The man is working his ass off on this show. Love him or hate him, you have to give him credit.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I LOVED the first season, and I wanted to love this season.

I finished episode five, and officially stopped watching. This season, anyway.

I'm enjoying it so far. It's different from S1, but it has the byzantine plot of a Ross MacDonald LA story and the characters are fascinating.

John F. Kennedy wordslingers will become famous soon enough wordslingers's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed about Farrell, he's doing great. I liked his character right away, despite some of his questionable choices. And I also like Frank less than the others by a margin, but I've never liked Vince Vaughn so I'm not sure if this is a valid criticism or just bias against him

Shannon, I can't remember what episode 5 was, but if it's the one I'm thinking of I'm surprised you stopped watching after that final sequence. It reminded me of the single take from S1 (although that take is unbeatable).

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I skimmed through the rest of episode five and six, just to see if Rachel McAdams was finally going to bang someone on screen, but alas, no bang.

The sex club rescue scene was pretty good, though.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been fully awake for every episode. I haven't surfed the internet or poked around on my phone (some shows I watch while surfing, it's usually ones I don't care about, I'm looking at you Under the Dome). I'm usually really good with following plot threads in TV shows and movies, but I can honestly say I have no idea what is going on.

When the 3 "detectives" were explaining what was going on, I was completely lost. I can't be the only person having this problem. They were throwing so many names around my head was spinning. Clearly they didn't do a good enough job at distinguishing all these names.

Also, how the fuck did that guy know Woodrugh was going to use that exit?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe they had people covering all the exits?

What exactly is the plot of True Detective? An excruciatingly clear breakdown: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...all_mob_tw_top

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bev, we just posted the same link. That's pretty awesome!

You're probably right, they more than likely had people stationed at different exits. The only problem with that is they made this underground setting seem like a labyrinth. There could have been dozen of exits.

Country
    Country Flag

Still find the plotting very confusing, but last night's episode was very good and seems to have things up well for a great 90 minute finale next week.

I also agree that Colin Farrell has done an excellent job in this series. He's really inhibited the Ray Velcoro character and is almost recalling some of the great work done by Harrelson and McConaughey in the first season. Pity I can't say the same for Vince Vaugh and also his wife character, both roles have been hugely disappointing.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been enjoying it enough to keep watching. As people have said, its too different to season one to compare, but its interesting enough. Part of me feels its trying a little too hard. Vince Vaughan talking in his best "I'm Batman" tone is a little irritating sometimes.

There have been some great moments in it (the shoot out, last nights ending etc), and so I am looking forward to the final few episodes to see where they take it...

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

With my dislike for both Colin and Vince I have been pleasantly surprised that I'm enjoying this season. There have been some very good scenes with great dialogue and atmosphere. The story line itself feels a little off in places and the acting just okay but overall I hope they keep this series going.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well? What did everybody think?

I thought it was a decent finale, but like with the whole season, I had some issues with it. Most of my gripes are with the ending. The whole scene in the desert with the Mexicans was ridiculous. Then the death walk through the desert with the dead people talking to Vaughn's character was just laughable.

The ending with Velcoro was stupid too. You're in a fast car being chased by guys in an SUV. Try losing them on the highway or surface roads. Where does he go? A fucking forest...where an SUV will feel right at home.

I'll give more thoughts on the season as a whole later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast