Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Liked the season but honestly the plot was not very good. It went sideways and the ending was entertaining but added no substance. In regards to the acting I think they did okay with what they had. The very end of the show was a big head scratcher for me...

Threes Company, mixed with Three Men and a Baby, combined with some Tarantino coming up?

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Well? What did everybody think?

I thought it was a decent finale, but like with the whole season, I had some issues with it. Most of my gripes are with the ending. The whole scene in the desert with the Mexicans was ridiculous. Then the death walk through the desert with the dead people talking to Vaughn's character was just laughable.

The ending with Velcoro was stupid too. You're in a fast car being chased by guys in an SUV. Try losing them on the highway or surface roads. Where does he go? A fucking forest...where an SUV will feel right at home.

I'll give more thoughts on the season as a whole later.
    Exactly. Like people are saying on here. I never was a fan of Vaughn or Ferrell and both these guys acted the hell out their parts and I was rooting for both of these 2 guys. In the finale when they team up to take out the Russian, the aftermath, I felt these 2 "made it." I was sourly disappointed with what happened to these 2 and their written choices. How does Vaughn as smart and calculated he is get caught by the Mexicans? How and why does Ferrell not simply lose the car and find another route?! Overall I enjoyed the show, but not the ending. In the end, nothing changed within the corruption as the villain's lives currently are "free." Will their death's be avenged by their friends? We will have no closure on that with just an assumption.

Perhaps the confusion like you had, like myself, was trying to understand too many characters and only 8 episodes to shove them down your throat. Overall I liked it and it was better then most of the stuff out there. I'm curious if the 3rd season will trend back to a darker path with less characters for more development on them like the 1st amazing season.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Well? What did everybody think?

I thought it was a decent finale, but like with the whole season, I had some issues with it. Most of my gripes are with the ending. The whole scene in the desert with the Mexicans was ridiculous. Then the death walk through the desert with the dead people talking to Vaughn's character was just laughable.

The ending with Velcoro was stupid too. You're in a fast car being chased by guys in an SUV. Try losing them on the highway or surface roads. Where does he go? A fucking forest...where an SUV will feel right at home.

I'll give more thoughts on the season as a whole later.
    Perhaps the confusion like you had, like myself, was trying to understand too many characters and only 8 episodes to shove them down your throat. Overall I liked it and it was better then most of the stuff out there. I'm curious if the 3rd season will trend back to a darker path with less characters for more development on them like the 1st amazing season.
    The confusion stems from poor writing and a muddled, unfocused plot. Characters would come and go and the viewer was expected to remember them although they were given little to no character development. This is especially true for Frank's goon that died and who Frank later visited his wife and son. That guy was in about two scenes. Also, Detective Dixon (I'm willing to bet most viewers would have no idea whom I'm talking about) had almost no screen time, but ended up being a fairly large part of the story.

The twins were also glossed over and weren't even mentioned until halfway through the show. It's poor plotting and poor writing, that's pretty much it.

I'm kind of surprised you liked it. You're so hard and picky on almost everything.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    This looks phenomenal. Can't wait!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent.

The best part? No Vince Vaughn in sight

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Excellent.

The best part? No Vince Vaughn in sight
    Honestly, Vaughn's performance was one of my last issues with the show.

My only regret with the upcoming season is the fact that Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room, Blue Ruin and Hold the Dark) left the show because of apparent creative differences after 2 episodes.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I CAN NOT WAIT for this. I loved the first season. Second season meh. But this one looks really good. I have high hopes.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm one of the few who thought Vaughn did fine and season 2 was very good.

Having said that, hell yeah I'm looking forward to season 3.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone watching? It started well with the first two but I am a little worried that it can keep it going. It also seems like they are trying to make it a little too like the first season. There was even a reference to it (I believe) when they were discussing the website that focused on the case.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I like that they went back to their roots so to speak and enjoyed the first two episodes very much.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I plan to give it a watch. I never did watch season 2, but heard this season started off good. Plus I heard it's loosely based on the West Memphis 3 which also got me intrigued
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Loved the first episode. Still need to watch the second. The going through the times were really cool.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I plan to give it a watch. I never did watch season 2, but heard this season started off good. Plus I heard it's loosely based on the West Memphis 3 which also got me intrigued
    I really enjoyed it. I think it feels more like the first season.

It's funny you should mention the West Memphis 3, Heather. I was thinking the same thing while watching and thought of you.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't fault anyone for abandoning the franchise after season 2, but I urge you to give season 3 a shot. I'm simply enthralled right now. It's a classic detective story, with an interesting plot device similar to season 1.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This show is improving with each episode.

Spoiler:
    I think the sister killed her brother, but there seems to be a bigger conspiracy implied, much like in season 1, that may not directly be the motive for the killing. I'm digging it so far very much.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    This show is improving with each episode.

Spoiler:
    I think the sister killed her brother, but there seems to be a bigger conspiracy implied, much like in season 1, that may not directly be the motive for the killing. I'm digging it so far very much.
    By god, we finally agree on something!

My Mood
    Cool

Yea, I am liking this very much so far. The story and acting are top notch. Can't wait to see how it unfolds. The ending to the last episode was epic.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    Yea, I am liking this very much so far. The story and acting are top notch. Can't wait to see how it unfolds. The ending to the last episode was epic.
    That's the second show I've seen this week that featured a
    Spoiler:
    claymore land mine!

Do we know who went to prison for the murders? That seems like a piece of information we haven't been told yet.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    That's the second show I've seen this week that featured a
    Spoiler:
    claymore land mine!

Do we know who went to prison for the murders? That seems like a piece of information we haven't been told yet.
    Thus far, we do not. You're right, that's a huge piece of the story they are withholding from us.

We obviously know that the wrong guy went to prison and that Detective Hays was clearly not on board with whomever got arrested.

Thus far, we do not. You're right, that's a huge piece of the story they are withholding from us.

We obviously know that the wrong guy went to prison and that Detective Hays was clearly not on board with whomever got arrested.
    So, this week they asked the father if he believed
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Woodard
    was innocent, but that person sure didn't go to prison. It was a
    Spoiler:
    posthumous conviction
    -- I didn't know there was any such thing.

Good to see our Sadie Dunhill (Sarah Gadon), although her part is relatively small thus far.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, this week they asked the father if he believed
    Spoiler:
    Mr. Woodard
    was innocent, but that person sure didn't go to prison. It was a
    Spoiler:
    posthumous conviction
    -- I didn't know there was any such thing.

Good to see our Sadie Dunhill (Sarah Gadon), although her part is relatively small thus far.
    Yeah, that has me a bit puzzled as well, Bev. Great episode though. The plot gets thicker and thicker!! Great acting as well IMHO. Especially, Roland (Steven Dorff?).

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sarah Gadon is a fantastic actress that hasn't broken through just yet. Have you seen Alias Grace? I loved that show and thought her performance was one of the best of the year.

As for TD, I'm loving the season more and more with each episode. The case has so many layers to it and the performances are just brilliant.

Sarah Gadon is a fantastic actress that hasn't broken through just yet. Have you seen Alias Grace? I loved that show and thought her performance was one of the best of the year.

As for TD, I'm loving the season more and more with each episode. The case has so many layers to it and the performances are just brilliant.
    Yes, we enjoyed Alias Grace. Also A Royal Night Out, which was fun.

I hear some grumbling about the slow pace, but I’m enjoying it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast