Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Default True Detective

So is anyone watching this?

I love this show. Matthew McConaughey (spelling?) is fantastic.

I just caught up on the most recent episode from Sunday last night and I'm even more in love with this show then I was before.

The show references a book written in 1895 called The King in Yellow, which heavily influenced Lovecraft. I had never heard of it so of course I had to go check it out. Very interesting.

Anyway, anyone have any theories they want to share?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

HOLY SHIT! You read my mind. I came here with the intention just now to start a True Detective thread. I think we are the few that are watching it. People will catch on later.

I'm really loving the show. I think it was a slow burn at first, but it's gotten really good. Harrelson and McConaughey are doing some of their best work of their career here. The cinematography is great as well. The story is twisty and really getting interesting. I'm also loving all the commentaries on humans and relationships and life in general.

I don't really have any theories. Obviously, the first half of the season, they want us to think that
    Spoiler:
    Rust
    has something to do with the recent murders. That's not going to be the case, but I kind of think it's actually going to be
    Spoiler:
    Marty
    that has something to do with it. I have nothing to base that on though.

I'm not even worried about figuring it out. I trust the show completely to make the right choices with the story. True Detective has a chance to be a very exciting show for Hollywood. Each year will deal with a new case and new detectives. With the level of talent the first season has drawn, there will be A-list actors lining up for season two.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I've been watching it, Loving it and was just reluctant to start a new thread. Awesome show1!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually......i was going to start this thread today. true detective is superb and will win awards this year for sure. alot of what Rusty talks about in his ramblings follow similar themes that is seen in s.kings the gunslinger. mccaunahey talks about hiw everything is a circle and how repeat our pasts and are helpless to change it. it also referenced hp lovecrafts cthulu mythos. remember....ka is a circle and at the end of the dark tower we see this and is is quite painful when roland realizes this. anyhoo....i am rambling. btw....i have watched every episode three times each and i still keep missing things!
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I love the show. This article made me like it even more. Read it iof you are caught up with the show.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

been hearing massive buzz on this. Need to get downloadin...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool! More people are watching than I thought.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the first episode and it was great. Unfortunately I probably will not get to watch the rest until the end of the season. It definitely is going to happen though.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    I love the show. This article made me like it even more. Read it iof you are caught up with the show.

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497
    That was the article I read last night that told me about the King in Yellow. Very interesting.

There are so many nuances to this show. I have to put down the knitting needles and make sure I am watching the whole thing so I don't miss anything.

Oh, and I think one of my fave lines was when Marty tells Cohle: You're like the Michael Jordan of being a son of a bitch.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's a terrific show, and I can't wait to see where they go with it in the final three episodes. This is a unique series in that it has the same writer and director for every episode, so it's like an 8-hour movie. I was really impressed by the 6-minute shot at the end of the episode a week ago. There's so much going on in it that could have messed it up. I've been writing about it on my blog.

The show's creator, Nic Pizzolatto, has a fine novel called Galveston that I just read recently. Well worth checking out -- I reviewed it at Onyx Reviews. It's unrelated to True Detective, but the main character likes to make little men out of beer cans!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cancelled HBO a little awhile ago. I remember seeing the teasers for it and thinking it was going to be good. Maybe when GOT comes back on I will try and watch this as well.

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    It's a terrific show, and I can't wait to see where they go with it in the final three episodes. This is a unique series in that it has the same writer and director for every episode, so it's like an 8-hour movie. I was really impressed by the 6-minute shot at the end of the episode a week ago. There's so much going on in it that could have messed it up. I've been writing about it on my blog.

The show's creator, Nic Pizzolatto, has a fine novel called Galveston that I just read recently. Well worth checking out -- I reviewed it at Onyx Reviews. It's unrelated to True Detective, but the main character likes to make little men out of beer cans!
    I read an article about the long take they did in that episode. Very interesting. What's the link to your blog, Bev?

That book sounds interesting. I may have to put it on my list.

I also saw in another article someone comparing the little beer can men and how they were set up to the dolls that Marty's daughter had configured in an earlier episode. There's a lot of things that I don't notice about this show that I feel like I'm missing. Good thing I have the internet!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched first two eps. Wow! Great Great show...
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

AMAZING show and gets better and better! ANyone know if this is a stand alone project? Or is there more to come...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

This season is a standalone 8 episodes. If the series is renewed, it won't be with Marty and Cohle. Their story will be done.

One of the unique things about this series is that all 8 episodes are written by the same guy and directed by the same director, so it's like an 8-hour film.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    This season is a standalone 8 episodes. If the series is renewed, it won't be with Marty and Cohle. Their story will be done.

One of the unique things about this series is that all 8 episodes are written by the same guy and directed by the same director, so it's like an 8-hour film.
    You can tell it is... It just keeps getting better and better. What do we have 3 left?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a tip for those who don't have HBO. Ask some of your friends and family who do have HBO for their Cable provider, E-mail address and password. Everybody who has HBO gets free access to HBOGo and should have all that information. It's a great way to keep up with the HBO shows without having to wait for DVDs or illegally download them.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Just a tip for those who don't have HBO. Ask some of your friends and family who do have HBO for their Cable provider, E-mail address and password. Everybody who has HBO gets free access to HBOGo and should have all that information. It's a great way to keep up with the HBO shows without having to wait for DVDs or illegally download them.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I just learned about this show today, because I worked with Alex Daddario on a past movie and apparently she has a fully nude scene in an episode.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I just learned about this show today, because I worked with Alex Daddario on a past movie and apparently she has a fully nude scene in an episode.
    Yes she does...

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

From your responses... I imagine it is either terrible or wonderful. I have no desire to see it.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Feel free to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I would love to, unfortunately, everybody I give my login info to now says that they get an error message saying I've exceeded the amount of devices I can be logged in on. I apparently have been too liberal with giving out my info. I just really want people I know to watch GoT and True Detective.

Stkymw02, that's awesome that you met Alex Daddario. Is she as beautiful in person as she is on the show? She's a talented actress too. Is she nice? Do you have her phone number? Just kidding on the last one. Unless of course you actually have it. Never mind, I wouldn't know what to do with her. I'm leaving now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast