Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Today in King history

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Andy Dufresne escapes from prison (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This really was a big day back in 2000.
    'Riding the Bullet' released as an E-book and
    within 48 hours of its release, over 500,000 copies were downloaded.
    Released so as to prevent printing, hackers within hours "cracked' the book to allow printing.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    hackers within hours "cracked' the book to allow printing.
    My software took less than 30 seconds to crack it.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As an April Fools day prank, Paul Sheldon sent a dozen close acquaintances a privately printed spoof booklet, 'Misery's Hobby'.
    Today is also Annie Wilkes birthday.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

A most monumental day in King history:
    On this day in 2004, King finished writing The Dark Tower cycle!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Hooray for the Tower, forever to be hailed as one of the greatest, if not the best, series of all times.

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Ahhh, then today is a most excellent day.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In a way, the beginning of King's fame:

Carrie-Shower incident at Ewen High. Girls taunted Carrie about her first period.

Gunslinger Apprentice MrsSmeej is on a distinguished road MrsSmeej's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Such a painful thing to read. Poor Carrie.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Lots of events today, one of great importance:
    DTVI-King wrote the 'Wordslinger's Note' to the 'Song of Susannah' (2003)

Gunslinger Apprentice Steve will become famous soon enough Steve's Avatar

Also the major events of It are set in motion today.

[SPOILERS]

RIP Dorsey Corcoran and Stan Uris.

"I aim to misbehave."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    -- Hoban Washburne

"What does that make us?"
    "Big damn heroes, sir."
    "Ain't we just."
    -- Malcolm Reynolds and Zoe Washburne

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

June 1st was a very busy day in King history. Check it out.
    Warning: Spoliers (tags are used for the DT stuff).

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Big day for Sai King in 1970:
    King graduates from University of Maine at Orono with a Bachelor of Science degree in English, and a teacher's certification for High school.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

King wrote in his journal from the Lovell House on Turtleback Lane. He noted how he was glad be bought the new house. He had planned to buy beer at the Center General but decided against it, went home and to bed sober for the first time in many years. He noted he wanted to go back to work on 'The Dark Tower' story. (1986)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default June 19th In Stephen King History-No Spoilers-Real History

June 19th is A very significant date in King and Dark Tower History.
    Siginifcant enough to deserve it's own thread (which will be later merged into the 'Today in King History' thread.
    • King begins to write the Dark Tower Cycle (1970)
    • The Dark Tower:The Gunslinger-King wrote in his journal.....(1980)-King wrote in his journal. Kirby McCauley told him that Donald Grant wanted to publish 'The Gunslinger' stories in a single volume, titled 'The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger'. King authorized McCauley to make the deal. He aslo noted that he believed 'Pet Sematary' too grim to publish. He got drunk to celebrate the likely ending of his teaching career.
    • The Dark Tower-King wrote in his journal. He received the author's...(1987)-King wrote in his journal. He received the author's copy of 'The Drawing of the Three' and decided to allow NAL to publish the first two 'Dark Tower' novels as trade paperbacks. He got drunk to celebrate.
    • Stephen King joins Alcoholics Anonymous (1988 )
    • The Dark Tower-King wrote in his journal...(1988 )-Stephen King wrote in his journal. He had gone a year without drugs or alcohol and thought this had saved his life and probably his marriage. He noted that he wanted to get back to writing 'The Dark Tower' series but couldn't work out how.
    • The Dark Tower-Stephen King wrote in his journal...(1995)-Stephen King wrote in his journal. Owen King graduated from Bangor High. Stephen and Tabitha attended the ceremony at the Bangor Auditorium and then drove to their Lovell house. King thought he was ready to continue the 'Dark Tower' series. Naomi King had an allergic reaction to something, possibly shellfish.
    • King struck by van (1999) while on walk.-
    • According to Wikipedia:
      Quote:
      Car accident
      In the summer of 1999, King had finished the memoir section of On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft but had abandoned the book for nearly eighteen months, unsure of how or whether to proceed. King says that it was the first book that he'd abandoned since writing The Stand decades earlier. He had just decided to continue the book and on June 17 wrote a list of questions fans frequently asked him about writing; on June 18, he wrote four pages of the writing section.
      On June 19, at about 4:30 p.m., he was walking on the right shoulder of Route 5 in Center Lovell, Maine. Driver Bryan Smith, distracted by an unrestrained Rottweiler named Bullet, moving in the back of his 1985 Dodge Caravan,[7] struck King, who landed in a depression in the ground about 14 feet from the pavement of Route 5.[6]
      Smith was leaning to the rear of his vehicle trying to restrain his dog and was not watching the road when he struck King. According to Oxford County Sheriff deputy Matt Baker, King was struck from behind and witnesses said the driver was not speeding or reckless.[8] King's website, however, states this is incorrect and that King was walking facing traffic.
      King was conscious enough to give the deputy phone numbers to contact his family but was in considerable pain. King mentioned in an interview that he told a paramedic he knew he was going into shock, as he had done research on the subject for his writing. The author was first transported to Northern Cumberland Hospital in Bridgton and then flown by helicopter to Central Maine Hospital in Lewiston. His injuries — a collapsed right lung, multiple fractures of the right leg, scalp laceration and a broken hip — kept him in Central Maine Medical Center until July 9, almost three weeks later.
      Earlier that year, King had finished most of From a Buick 8, a novel in which a character dies after getting struck by a car. Of the similarities, King says that he tries "not to make too much of it." King's work had certainly featured car accidents and their horrors before. His 1987 novel Misery also concerned a writer who experiences severe injuries in an auto accident, and auto wrecks figure prominently in The Dead Zone and Thinner. In Christine, a 1958 Plymouth Fury runs down its enemies. 1994's Insomnia has a main character struck dead by a car, and central to Pet Sematary's plot is the scene in which a tractor-trailer strikes and kills the protagonist's young son. Following his accident, King wrote Dreamcatcher, in which a central character suffers injuries similar to King's own after being struck by a car.
      After five operations in ten days and physical therapy, King resumed work on On Writing in July, though his hip was still shattered and he could only sit for about forty minutes before the pain became intolerable.
      King's lawyer and two others purchased Smith's van for $1,500, reportedly to avoid it appearing on eBay. The van was later crushed at a junkyard, though King mentioned during an interview with Fresh Air's Terry Gross that he wanted to destroy the vehicle with a sledgehammer.[9] Smith, a disabled construction worker, died of an overdose of pain medication on September 21, 2000 (King's birthday) at the age of 43.
      Two years later, King suffered a severe case of pneumonia as a direct result of the puncturing of his lung at the time of the accident. The lower portion of one lung became infected and had putrified. During this time Tabitha King was inspired to redesign his studio. Stephen visited the space while his books and belongings were packed away. What he saw was an image of what his studio would look like if he died, providing a seed for his novel Lisey's Story.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing stuff. Truly amazing.

Pirate Lover Lee is on a distinguished road Lee's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, it's crazy how everything intertwines with him. Things "crazyily" intertwined when I was reading The Dark Tower series. Strange...
    You're going to want it.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Creepy. We have a "30 thing" in my family, similar to this. Remind me to tell it to you sometime. It totally freaked my mom out.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanna know! Tellmetellmetellme.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

What's the "30 thing"?
    You're going to want it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay. Just remember, you asked for it.

I am 30 years younger than my father.

My parents were married 30 years before my sister.

My parents had 2 children, me and my sister. My sister had 2 daughters.

I am 30 years older than my oldest niece. (I am the oldest).

My sister is 30 years older than my youngest niece.

I am waiting to see if this will keep going or not - I pointed all this out to my mom and she about flipped her lid. It's too weird.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Spooky spaghetti!!!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

weird! But who else can say that about their family?!
    You're going to want it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Who knows? And I have totally bogarted the June 19 thread. Jerome, if you want you can break this out into a "weird coincidences" thread in an OT area, I am totally down with that.

I say sorry.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

cool stuff Jerome!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast