Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: The It remake

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure about this either.

At least I am not the only one that is skeptical.

Life is a garden...dig it!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

It doesnt lend itself well to the screen, the 1990s miniseries is extra sad because watching it (I have) it looks like they really TRIED to make it good but just couldnt
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    It doesnt lend itself well to the screen
    I don't know exactly why, but King's work in general doesn't.

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Another unnecessary remake with lots of references to (and appearances and use of) cell phones, the Internet, etc. As they did with Carrie and 'Salem's Lot, and probably also with Children of the Corn.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These articles also mention a Pet Sematary remake, and that one is indeed unneeded, because the original movie is a classic. I doubt they can do a much better job.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    These articles also mention a Pet Sematary remake, and that one is indeed unneeded, because the original movie is a classic. I doubt they can do a much better job.
    Even if they could make it better (and I agree, they can't) it's still unnecessary. Remaking existing movies is a cop out masking a lack of originality. I have strong enough feelings about adaptations in general, but re-adapting someone else's adaptation is pretty uninspired.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Seconded.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

huh, nope won't be paying to see that one. . .

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

actually, i have this good idea for a horror film. wonder how it would work though...

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

Why don't they remake King movies that were bad to start with, like The Running Man? Although not King related, they are also remaking just about all of John Carpenter's movies. The remake of The Fog was so bad I felt like throwing up...on the other hand, I knew it would suck and it made me love the original even more.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Moving this to Gem Theater. Thanks.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually quite liked the original version of IT. Not as good as the book certainly, but there was some seriously creepy stuff earlier on.

I found this on one of those websites, which I found a bit irritating. I'll spoilerize it in case you don't know the story.

Spoiler:
    If you had to hire a bunch of kids to take turns having sex with an underage girl in order to banish a demon, who would you pick?
    I know that a group sex scene happened in the book, and I didn't approve of it. But it had nothing to do with defeating the monster! They had already done that (ok temporarily it turned out) by that time. And as such it can be left out of the film I think. It's certainly not crucial to the story.

It's a small issue, but I wish they'd get there story facts right. Another site mentioned the monster being called 'It'. I always figured that was just the way the kids and people referred to it rather than having noun status.

Ok, I've gone way too far into nerd mode now....

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I'm willing to try it but I don't know how they're going to have the movie without Tim Curry... what a man...

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There would have to be some serious condensing to make it into one movie. It would be cool if the actually battle involving the ritual of Chud was in the movie not the ending they had in the mini-series. One thing will stay the same for sure. There is no way they will show how the children "bond" to find their way out of the sewers.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I actually quite liked the original version of IT. Not as good as the book certainly, but there was some seriously creepy stuff earlier on.

I found this on one of those websites, which I found a bit irritating. I'll spoilerize it in case you don't know the story.

Spoiler:
    If you had to hire a bunch of kids to take turns having sex with an underage girl in order to banish a demon, who would you pick?
    I know that a group sex scene happened in the book, and I didn't approve of it. But it had nothing to do with defeating the monster! They had already done that (ok temporarily it turned out) by that time. And as such it can be left out of the film I think. It's certainly not crucial to the story.

It's a small issue, but I wish they'd get there story facts right. Another site mentioned the monster being called 'It'. I always figured that was just the way the kids and people referred to it rather than having noun status.

Ok, I've gone way too far into nerd mode now....
    I did not like it that much but it was no worse than Stand by me imo.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well let's just hope this never sees the light of day. And I think it could easily turn out to be alot worse than the miniseries. Think about it, that at least had a runtime of about 190 min. If this is going to the theaters it's going to have a much shorter runtime, which means even more of the story would have to be edited out. And I just don't think that would translate well to the screen.

The only way I think that it could be done properly, would be to make a series out of it, and toss it on HBO or similar channel. I think those series typically have about 13 episodes per season, with a runtime of around 50 min minus the credits. Which would give us about 10-11 hours of actual footage. They could easily adapt the whole story, and being on a cable channel they would have a lot more leeway to show scenes of a more graphic nature.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with the guys who have said that most of King's stories do not turn out well on the big screen. I use to think it was the goofy effects that were around but we know this is not the case now. I am just now into the DT series so today was the first time I have read Childe Roland. It is so easy to see where King's mind might have been while reading this. Why is so hard for the movie guys to understand King's mind?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    There would have to be some serious condensing to make it into one movie. It would be cool if the actually battle involving the ritual of Chud was in the movie not the ending they had in the mini-series. One thing will stay the same for sure. There is no way they will show how the children "bond" to find their way out of the sewers.
    It's in the director's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    actually, i have this good idea for a horror film. wonder how it would work though...

Good, I'll start working on the remake of it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I hate the fact that the adaptations of his stories end up sucking so badly on the big screen (or small screen). For those who have not read the stories it leaves a bad taste in their mouth about his work, and in turn they lose interest. A lot of people I know who have never read a King story, but have seen the poor adaptations have the same statements: "I just can't get into SK." or "It didn't seem that good to me. I don't see what you see in his stuff." or even "SK's stuff just sucks!" I've voiced pretty much this same sentiment (as far as the general public's replies) on the DT movie thread. I think that the hard part of having a good story line is done for these guys. All they have to do is use the story/book as a good guideline for the scenes and go with it with good casting and staying true to the storyline. But somehow it gets lost in translation somehow. I'll check it out, as I feel I HAVE to, being a fan and all. But we shall see. I agree that Tim Burton did an outstanding job, even if a little over-acted at times. The Stand adaptation was not that great, although they tried. They had to keep it too "clean" or something is why it wasn't as good as it could have been. I can't seem to put my finger on why it just didn't seem "right" to me when I watched it. Yeah, I own it. Watched it a couple of times, trying to get around what it is. I hope this might end up better than the miniseries of It that once was. But time will tell. And on a side note, I sincerely hope that if they ever do decide to make a cinematic version of the DT series that they can do it justice. They would have to make each movie a feature length film to do so, so it would be like the STAR WARS installments, or the Harry Potter ones, I guess. But if they do decide to then I hope SK camps out and does a lot of "consulting" or directing, or whatever. No one better to guide it along than the man who's mind it came from in the first place.
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

John F. Kennedy RichardHawes is on a distinguished road RichardHawes's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

Default BBC News: IT to be a feature film

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7941335.stm

King's clown horror 'to be film'

When angered, King's evil clown has fangs and claws

Stephen King's clown horror novel It is to be turned into a film by studio Warner Brothers, according to industry paper The Hollywood Reporter.

The 1986 novel follows childhood friends drawn together as adults to fight the murderous clown Pennywise.

The book was made into a three-hour TV mini-series in 1990, with Tim Curry.

Since then the film rights have bounced around Hollywood, but Warners have now signed The Invasion screenwriter Dave Kajganich to adapt King's novel.

Kajganich is also working on an adaptation of King's Pet Sematary, first adapted for screen in 1989.

Pure evil

The novel It, was a best-seller when it was first published.

In the story a group of children, who call themselves the Losers, are menaced by It, a sewer-lurking creature of pure evil which can take the form of the children's greatest fears.

Nearly 30 years later, the creature returns but the adults, who promised to fight it whenever it appeared, have only hazy memories of their childhood encounters.

The miniseries was once voted the scariest TV programme of all time by Radio Times readers.

The plot was originally set in 1958 and 1985 but the film version will be set in the present day, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Great news everyone and im super excited. Heres to hoping it stays much closer to the novel though im not sure how the "group love" scene could take place.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The story is too big to tell in such a short period of time--just wont do it justice. But if they make it I will see it, because how can I not see it? But I dont have a lot of faith that it can be done right. I'm just glad that WB got it and is planning to do a feature; last I'd heard SciFi channel was going to do a two-hour TV movie, and that was definitely more frightening (not in a good way).

I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of the screenwriters and directors that make King films arent die hard fans to begin with...which limits their vision. That's why I'm so happy that JJ Abrams is going to do the DT, because he has been very vocal about being a huge fan of the series. I think a fan could get it right. Look at the high quality of all of Frank Darabont's adaptations.

The only exception to this rule, of course, is Mick Garris, who couldnt direct traffic in a one-horse town, let alone a decent movie. Fan or no, there has so be some directing ability, too.
    Heng Dai

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi ,I agree with lady hitchhiker Tim Curry was a damn good Pennywise, id watch the new movie just to see how it turns out but i know it will lack the same level of creepyness he gave It. Also a question if anyone can help, The film "The Mist" is that some crazy reworking of "The Fog" or a separate short story/novel i haven't heard of?

Did Frank Darabont direct "The mist"??

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Frank Darabont did direct The Mist, and it is not a remake of The Fog. The Mist is an adaptation of a novella of the same name written by Stephen King. It appears in the collection Skeleton Crew. Great movie and a great story...I highly recommend both.
    Heng Dai

Gunslinger Apprentice Cort is on a distinguished road Cort's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, glad to find that out. Now i know what to look for Nice i just ordered it for a total cost of 3 quid

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast