Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Fundraiser Grand Prize (King Inscribed Book) and Rules Announcement

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

For the record, I am winning this year. No doubt!! Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you were wondering!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Since King's said he's not doing any signings for Mr. Mercedes, I'd like to see a signed trade edition of that one!

John
    I think this is an excellent idea for the reason John has listed.

Since there are probably over 1,500 signed copies of Doctor Sleep floating around out there, I would hope that is not the choice.
    I agree. However, he usually takes like forever to finally sign the damn thing and forward it on. I know he is a busy guy just saying that intentionally delaying the signature may cause additional delays in receiving it back. Taking longer may be okay with most folks IDK just saying is all (I'm bored ). I THINK BILL NEEDS A CHILL PILL

Thinking about it a bit, wouldn't it be really cool of him to sign a proof of "Revival" and deliver pre-release? Probably will not happen, but it's fun to speculate.

NOT A BAD ALTERNATIVE

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Since King's said he's not doing any signings for Mr. Mercedes, I'd like to see a signed trade edition of that one!

John
    I think this is an excellent idea for the reason John has listed.

Since there are probably over 1,500 signed copies of Doctor Sleep floating around out there, I would hope that is not the choice.
    I don't believe there are 1,500 inscribed Gift Editions of Doctor Sleep out there. Same goes with an inscribed Gift edition of The Shining.
    However, an inscribed dated Mr. Mercedes would be tres cool; especially if dated before or close to 6/3/2014.
    I of course meant the U.S. trade edition of Doctor Sleep when I referred to the 1,500 signed copies.

If I had to rank my choices for the Grand Prize, they would be as follows (assuming recent releases were the only option):

1. Signed/Inscribed copy of the U.S trade 1st edition of Mr. Mercedes dated the day of release.
    2. Signed/Inscribed copy of the SubPress GE of The Shining.
    3. Signed/Inscribed copy of the CD GE of Doctor Sleep.
    4. Signed/Inscribed copy of the GE of Joyland.
    5. Signed/Inscribed copy of the CD slipcased edition of The Dark Man.
    6. Signed/Inscribed copy of the U.S. trade 1st edition of Doctor Sleep (ranked last due to the large quantity that exist out there).

Ultimately, I know I have no sway over what the prize is, but it is fun to speculate and discuss.

As mentioned before, I am pretty sure that you can call your own edition. That's the way it normally works.
    The winner does not "call" their edition. We announce what the book will be, and King inscribes it at his will, and how he likes.
    Once we had a book lost. That is why we will not have the winner submit their (treasured personal copy) book.
    As for tippy4's suggestion on Mr. Mercedes, I think it's a great idea, but we deal with what King wants to do. Asking him to date a MM on or before street date is risky.
    Since the book will be personalized, the incredible part is just that.
    Without commiting to it, I suppose the winner could choose from a list of 3 books, but even then; be prepared for Mr. King's oddities.
    Last year he almost verbatim wrote the inscription for cit74 (Chad). The year before he did not inscribe it exactly as requested.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For the record, I am winning this year. No doubt!! Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you were wondering!!!
    I was under the impression that the contest was for minions only, sorry Bill. Keep up the good work though!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I was under the impression that the contest was for minions only, sorry Bill. Keep up the good work though!
    I know Dan is joking here, but just so we are all clear, the competition is open to anyone who has made either a contribution of $10 or more to the Haven Fund or has contributed an item that can be auctioned/sold. Each $10 contributed or $10 made for auction equals a single entry into the draw. (up to I believe a max of 10 entries).

So for anyone who is yet to donate, or wishes to donate more, this is the mother-load! you could stand a chance of winning a signed (possibly personalized) book. This is as good as it gets folks! Contribute now!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Way cool!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't the max of ten entries intended for the drawings of all items/prizes other than the Grand Prize - and you get one and only one entry in the hat for the Grand Prize?
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Isn't the max of ten entries intended for the drawings of all items/prizes other than the Grand Prize - and you get one and only one entry in the hat for the Grand Prize?
    No. You get a max of ten entries and those entries count for the Grand Prize, and for the other prizes.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    No. You get a max of ten entries and those entries count for the Grand Prize, and for the other prizes.
    Which is why it is well worth entering some or all of the side competitions we have going here. Winning the Anagrams II competition for instance will net you FOUR entries into winning the Grand Prize!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Which is why it is well worth entering some or all of the side competitions we have going here. Winning the Anagrams II competition for instance will net you FOUR entries into winning the Grand Prize!
    Easy now! That's the only game I'm still winning.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Easy now! That's the only game I'm still winning.
    So get the last ones! First one to answer all correctly is guaranteed the 4 entries!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Isn't there a little "Minion" in us all?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

As of now we have ~100 unique individuals eligible for the GP Drawing, and ~<400total entries.
    Not bad odds for a personalized King book.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

RF, if its something you can easily extract and post, would you be able to share whose in and how many entries? Of course if its something that should be kept private, no problem.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's confidential. Some don't mind if the info is public, others want it confidential. Once the deadline approaches, I usually get private inquiries and assure people of their entries.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    RF, if its something you can easily extract and post, would you be able to share whose in and how many entries? Of course if its something that should be kept private, no problem.

Doen't really matter much, as this year that baby is finally going to be MINE!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

My paypal email is different than my DT email address. Is that okay?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    My paypal email is different than my DT email address. Is that okay?
    I believe that PP allows for a "Comment" when actually paying/donating. You can make a reference there or simply post it here. This community operates on the "Honor System".
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I know it equals 1 entry per $10 donation to a max of 10 so if you donated like $30 would that be 3 entries and if you bought a book for $510 would that be the next 7 or would that count as 1 entry? I'm a bit confused on that. How do we check how many entries we have? I made 2 donations so far and also purchased a book from the HF auction "Just After Sunset". I'm going to make another donation next month as well, regardless of entries even if I've passed the max 10.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    I know it equals 1 entry per $10 donation to a max of 10 so if you donated like $30 would that be 3 entries and if you bought a book for $510 would that be the next 7 or would that count as 1 entry? I'm a bit confused on that. How do we check how many entries we have? I made 2 donations so far and also purchased a book from the HF auction "Just After Sunset". I'm going to make another donation next month as well, regardless of entries even if I've passed the max 10.
    Great questions.. I have a few entries just from flat out donating.. 3 so far I think. I would like to know how to check that....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe it was stated that you do not get entries for purchasing a book from the charity auctions. The winning of the books are the prize themselves. I think you only get entries if you donated the book. I believe that is what RF has stated.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    I believe it was stated that you do not get entries for purchasing a book from the charity auctions. The winning of the books are the prize themselves. I think you only get entries if you donated the book. I believe that is what RF has stated.
    Correct.

A Cash (PP) donation of $10 receives one entry. The max number of entries is 10 per person (even if they donated $1K). Members who donated a book that was used in one of our remarque auctions are credited the value of the book (prior to the art being added) + any shipping expenses they incurred.

As the fundraiser approaches the May 19, 2014 cutoff, I often get inquiries confirming how many entries a person has.
    Most of the time, donors don't note their member name, so if you send me a PM, included your PP name, and an estimate as to when the donation(s) was made.
    I wish their was an easier way, but I can't just post the list of donors, as some people wish for that info to remain private.

Of course the name of the Grand Prize winner is announced.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Just over two weeks to go, and the goal is almost hit (especially when you count the two auctions in play).

Personally, I think we should end the fundraiser once the goal is reached.....NPR uses that strategy as an incentive....but then again....the fundraiser does not interrupt "regularly scheduled programming" here like it does on NPR.

Has a decision been reached as to what the Grand Prize will be?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just over two weeks to go, and the goal is almost hit (especially when you count the two auctions in play).

Personally, I think we should end the fundraiser once the goal is reached.....NPR uses that strategy as an incentive....but then again....the fundraiser does not interrupt "regularly scheduled programming" here like it does on NPR.

Has a decision been reached as to what the Grand Prize will be?
    I am leaning towards having the winner choose one of three different books to be inscribed. Doctor Seep Gift, The Shining Gift, or Mister Mercedes Trade 1st.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that is an awesome idea.

How would that work?....meaning, where would the book come from?

I am guessing that like last year's GE of IT, you would make the arrangements?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast