Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection Anonymous

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Alec sent me some additional pictures of his pair of salem's lot first printings which also show the Clamshell cases that house them:

This final picture is quite interesting. It shows the inside of one of the Dust Jackets which has been stamped by Doubleday's office and shows the date the Jacket was either filed away or was due to be published.
    The actual publication date for 'salem's lot is believed to be Oct 17th 1975, which if you take into account the fact that all the dustjackets had to be price clipped and reprinted seems about right.

Does anyone recognise the signature on this?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another rare item. a 1/1 Binders prototype of Suntup's Misery!

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Wow. 2 first/first Salems' lot and a signed prototype of the signed misery. That's just amazing. Plus the books I see in the background. This is really an amazing collection.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

One of the most impressive set of pictures I've ever feasted my eyes upon.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Pics like this just kind of kill my enthusiasm for collecting as this level will never be attainable. Incredible incredible stuff.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Alec sent me some additional pictures of his pair of salem's lot first printings which also show the Clamshell cases that house them:

This final picture is quite interesting. It shows the inside of one of the Dust Jackets which has been stamped by Doubleday's office and shows the date the Jacket was either filed away or was due to be published.
    The actual publication date for 'salem's lot is believed to be Oct 17th 1975, which if you take into account the fact that all the dustjackets had to be price clipped and reprinted seems about right.

Does anyone recognise the signature on this?
    AMAZING!!! SIMPLY AMAZING!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Pics like this just kind of kill my enthusiasm for collecting as this level will never be attainable. Incredible incredible stuff.
    I know EXACTLY what you mean, but I still try. And you can always buy lottery tickets, even though the odds are slightly against you.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have looked at this picture quite a few times since Alec sent it to me, but only now has something struck me. rather than being someones name, could that last word be "Embg"? ie a shortened version of "Embargo" ?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

#floored.

Alec, no wonder your collection is worth what it is.... just unreal. And that Misery..... man oh man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Not one but two Salem’s Lots!! Incredible.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

As always, many thanks to Simon for posting the images and information, even more so considering his extremely busy schedule.
    All your comments are appreciated and in many of the replies some very useful information and insights are gathered along the way. In this particular case, as Simon mentioned, it would be interesting to know if anyone recognises the final word or name on the Doubleday stamp. Up to this point it has remained a mystery.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Superamazingincredible books !!!

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Alec, I think those books are mine. They literally have my name on them.
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Pics like this just kind of kill my enthusiasm for collecting as this level will never be attainable.
    They have the opposite effect for me - knowing these collections are out there, and that I can take a peek through others' photos, opens me up to a world I would never view otherwise. Thanks to Alec (and everyone else) for taking the time.

Put another way: I love the White Mountains of New Hampshire - despite the fact that I don't own them and can't bring them home.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Alec, thanks for the message. I hope I did not overwhelm you with my reply .

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    I have looked at this picture quite a few times since Alec sent it to me, but only now has something struck me. rather than being someones name, could that last word be "Embg"? ie a shortened version of "Embargo" ?

According to Peter Schneider: "It could have been one of the assistants in the Production or the Art departments -- they usually filed things when they came in."

Peter wasn't with Doubleday when 'Salem's Lot was published, but he is checking with someone who might have been. I'll report any new info as it becomes available.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Very kind of you Jerome.
    Thank you.

Alec.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just received this info from Peter Schneider who checked with a person who would know:

" ...she didn't recognize the name and/or signature. She agreed with me, however, that it would have been an assistant in the Production department who would have filed and signed this.

But, there definitely would not have been the word "embargo" on it. That was something that didn't happen back then."

Good to know.
    At least it appears to be narrowed down to a signature.
    Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome stuff, Alec! Simply amazing!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Thank you Brian and thanks to St.Troy for the comments.
    It is all about sharing, but I have a suspicion you knew that already!!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Thank you Brian and thanks to St.Troy for the comments.
    It is all about sharing, but I have a suspicion you knew that already!!
    Appreciate that you do share, Alec. Stuff most of us would never get to see otherwise.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm always astounded when I see that collectors have managed to obtain documents or items that were originally only intended to be between a Publisher and an Author. The historical significance of some of these is immense and as a collector to see inter office memos or correspondence at the point in time that a book that will become not only a best seller, but be part of literary culture is almost as good as reading the book itself. This group has been privileged to include members that have shared documents such as this from Kings publishing history, however I think what I am able to post below is personally, astounding. I take my hat off to Alec for his ability not just to purchase such an item but to his tenacity in even being able to find something as rare as this!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Outstanding! This document (no doubt in my mind) classifies as historical.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Absolutely amazing. This thread always knocks me out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast