Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection Anonymous

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Noticed this post from yesterday on Suntup Press Thread #1634.
    Part of it read:
    "And in this vein I also find it distasteful when a collector sucks up multiple copies of the same lettered edition from the market, but that's a different rant...."

I believed that as collectors we were free to purchase what we liked when it was available at whatever price it was on offer. All the multiples I have purchased were advertised on the open market and were there for anyone to buy. Interestingly in the last six months I have sourced some more of the multiples in my collection, about five, for other collectors and shipped them to the United States or arranged shipping internally.
    Distasteful? A little harsh I feel.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Noticed this post from yesterday on Suntup Press Thread #1634.
    Part of it read:
    "And in this vein I also find it distasteful when a collector sucks up multiple copies of the same lettered edition from the market, but that's a different rant...."

I believed that as collectors we were free to purchase what we liked when it was available at whatever price it was on offer. All the multiples I have purchased were advertised on the open market and were there for anyone to buy. Interestingly in the last six months I have sourced some more of the multiples in my collection, about five, for other collectors and shipped them to the United States or arranged shipping internally.
    Distasteful? A little harsh I feel.
    I 100% AGREE with you Alec. That comment (1634) made ZERO sense to me. If they are for sale.. who cares who buys them?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I made that comment, and I apologize if I offended anyone. I was looking for the right word and maybe "distasteful" was too strong. I was not talking about anyone specifically, and on a board with many collectors who have multiple copies of many books, I was probably bound to offend someone.

The context of this comment was in a conversation about having more copies of deluxe books so that a larger number of book collectors could enjoy them. My feeling is that the amount of additional pleasure that a collector would derive from purchasing a second or more copy of a very rare lettered edition is less than the amount of pleasure that a different collector would derive from purchasing their first copy of such an edition. So when I see a set of 4 books that were printed in an edition of 26, and they are all owned by one person, what I feel is that "Wow, there are three collectors out there who would each derive much more pleasure from owning a single copy than this person probably derives from owning 4 copies." So to me it represents a net negative utility to the "collecting community" as a whole, especially when the amount of money involved may be very substantial to one of the people that does not own that lettered edition but wished they did.

I should also add that part of this feeling is due to the extremely limited nature of these books - when I see multiples of a first edition, or a numbered edition, that doesn't bug me. In fact I own multiples of some first editions and multiples of some numbered editions. I also wouldn't apply this to things like alternative bindings, or prototypes, specially remarqued books, etc. So the universe of books that I am talking about is really just the ultra-rare lettered editions.

I know that I am treading a line here because obviously you are very well off Alec and also obviously you own multiple lettered editions, so talking about less well off collectors saving for months or years to own one copy of a book that you may own multiple copies of probably feels pretty personal for you, and my intent was most certainly not to personally offend you. In fact I find it very commendable that you are sourcing books to other collectors, and everything in this thread and that everyone has said leads me to believe that you are a very nice person. I enjoy looking at your collection thread and I also agree with much of the content you post on the site as well as your very respectful tone.

To the point of "If they are for sale.. who cares who buys them?" let's take an extreme example: say that someone, somehow, purchased all 26 copies of the Suntup Edition of Misery that was coming out. You wouldn't have a problem with that? As a collector, would you not empathize with all of the other collectors on this board who wished they could own a copy, and were prepared to buy a copy, but could not? As part of the rare tribe of bibliophiles that are left in this world, I do care who buys them because I want the books to be enjoyed by more people, and to foster a wider appreciation of an art form that in some ways is dying off.

Again, these are my personal feelings and there are very good reasons why my personal feelings do not dictate how life actually works or how other people should feel. And I don't like offending anyone, even on the internet, which is why I struggled with the right word to use there, and, again, maybe "distasteful" was too strong. I don't apologize for having my own opinion on this issue but I do apologize if I aired it in a way that caused undue offense to other collectors on this board.

I also do not want to distract from your very nice collection thread Alec so if you would like me to remove this comment, I will, with my apologies.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    I made that comment, and I apologize if I offended anyone. I was looking for the right word and maybe "distasteful" was too strong. I was not talking about anyone specifically, and on a board with many collectors who have multiple copies of many books, I was probably bound to offend someone.

The context of this comment was in a conversation about having more copies of deluxe books so that a larger number of book collectors could enjoy them. My feeling is that the amount of additional pleasure that a collector would derive from purchasing a second or more copy of a very rare lettered edition is less than the amount of pleasure that a different collector would derive from purchasing their first copy of such an edition. So when I see a set of 4 books that were printed in an edition of 26, and they are all owned by one person, what I feel is that "Wow, there are three collectors out there who would each derive much more pleasure from owning a single copy than this person probably derives from owning 4 copies." So to me it represents a net negative utility to the "collecting community" as a whole, especially when the amount of money involved may be very substantial to one of the people that does not own that lettered edition but wished they did.

I should also add that part of this feeling is due to the extremely limited nature of these books - when I see multiples of a first edition, or a numbered edition, that doesn't bug me. In fact I own multiples of some first editions and multiples of some numbered editions. I also wouldn't apply this to things like alternative bindings, or prototypes, specially remarqued books, etc. So the universe of books that I am talking about is really just the ultra-rare lettered editions.

I know that I am treading a line here because obviously you are very well off Alec and also obviously you own multiple lettered editions, so talking about less well off collectors saving for months or years to own one copy of a book that you may own multiple copies of probably feels pretty personal for you, and my intent was most certainly not to personally offend you. In fact I find it very commendable that you are sourcing books to other collectors, and everything in this thread and that everyone has said leads me to believe that you are a very nice person. I enjoy looking at your collection thread and I also agree with much of the content you post on the site as well as your very respectful tone.

To the point of "If they are for sale.. who cares who buys them?" let's take an extreme example: say that someone, somehow, purchased all 26 copies of the Suntup Edition of Misery that was coming out. You wouldn't have a problem with that? As a collector, would you not empathize with all of the other collectors on this board who wished they could own a copy, and were prepared to buy a copy, but could not? As part of the rare tribe of bibliophiles that are left in this world, I do care who buys them because I want the books to be enjoyed by more people, and to foster a wider appreciation of an art form that in some ways is dying off.

Again, these are my personal feelings and there are very good reasons why my personal feelings do not dictate how life actually works or how other people should feel. And I don't like offending anyone, even on the internet, which is why I struggled with the right word to use there, and, again, maybe "distasteful" was too strong. I don't apologize for having my own opinion on this issue but I do apologize if I aired it in a way that caused undue offense to other collectors on this board.

I also do not want to distract from your very nice collection thread Alec so if you would like me to remove this comment, I will, with my apologies.
    I meant on the secondary market. Few publishers would even allow that on a new title.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Kris is certainly correct with his comment on a new title, and I think we both accepted that your intention was alluding to the secondary market.
    I am in no way offended, everyone is entitled to their opinion and yours makes good sense in a lot of ways. I suppose it came down to the use of "distasteful" which prompted me to reply. There is absolutely no need to remove your original remark, it does serve to show that a healthy discussion can be achieved if both parties are happy to accept each other's point of view, which you have certainly demonstrated with your reply.
    In the meantime I shall be out there looking for a few more lettereds.
    If you are looking for anything in particular please feel free to ping me a private message.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Kris is certainly correct with his comment on a new title, and I think we both accepted that your intention was alluding to the secondary market.
    I am in no way offended, everyone is entitled to their opinion and yours makes good sense in a lot of ways. I suppose it came down to the use of "distasteful" which prompted me to reply. There is absolutely no need to remove your original remark, it does serve to show that a healthy discussion can be achieved if both parties are happy to accept each other's point of view, which you have certainly demonstrated with your reply.
    If you are looking for anything in particular please feel free to ping me a private message.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

One of these days I will ping you for a numbered copy of the gunslinger, My one of only two missing numbered books I am missing😀😀😀😀😀. I don’t think I will EVER be able to afford my missing piece😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I hope to see your full collection and bobs someday in person

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I will throw my comment in this conversation as well. Yes, I own several copies of certain signed limited editions, signed first editions, first editions, etc. I've never hoarded from any one publisher, but only from the open market that anyone and everyone had the same opportunity to buy from when the book/s came available. Many members here have actually benefited from my practice. How you ask? I've sometimes just given books for free to help a collector out, or sold it for exactly what I purchased it for. Again, just to help a collector out.

I've never felt guilty about this practice.

Just my opinion

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Thank you Mulleins. To be applauded without question.
    I hope that in turn I have made a few peoples quest for some lettereds a little easier.
    The main point you mention is "from the open market".
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Gunslingers are here and you are most welcome to visit at any time.
    The accommodation doesn't come any cheaper than here!!
    Just make your way to Shropshire and come and have a look.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kindest regards
    Alec.
    And I wish you luck, sincerely, in your efforts in finding lettereds!

I would also be remiss to continue posting in this thread without congratulating you on the most recent Salem's Lot acquisitions! I was fortunate enough to get a printer's copy as well and I very much enjoy it. And the red roman numeral is a thing of beauty and to be proud of. It's a book I would just like to hold! A great example of the craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Well, I will throw my comment in this conversation as well. Yes, I own several copies of certain signed limited editions, signed first editions, first editions, etc. I've never hoarded from any one publisher, but only from the open market that anyone and everyone had the same opportunity to buy from when the book/s came available. Many members here have actually benefited from my practice. How you ask? I've sometimes just given books for free to help a collector out, or sold it for exactly what I purchased it for. Again, just to help a collector out.

Just my opinion

Mulleins
    I know that both you and Alec have helped other collectors with some amazing finds, and have been very generous, so it seems from the sample on these boards that perhaps those collectors who are acquiring multiple rare copies are, in fact, fostering what I promote, and that is a more widespread love for collecting and appreciating fine books.

Bravo, gentlemen

And yes, the open market part is important - giving other collectors a chance to own them as well. Again, it's all about spreading the love of finely-crafted books!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post

Just my opinion

Mulleins
    Apologies, Alec with the hijack but I wanted to 2nd Ralph's comments. He has helped me out several times with titles that I missed out on or couldn't afford at the time of release. As have several other members here. Coming in late to the collecting bug; the secondary market can be a god sent. And so are those like Ralph and yourself, Alec that help to fill a void in one's collection.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Just a heads up for those collectors with other authors in mind.
    Simon Patterson from Hyraxia Books has just collected about 800 books from me with 450 more in the next couple of weeks. They will be catalogued and for sale in about six to eight weeks.
    Authors include:
    Haruki Murakami, George Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Iszuo Kashiguro, Joe Abercrombie, Philip Reeve, Philip Pullman and many others. Proofs, first editions, signed limited and lettered.
    Sorry, there are no Stephen King.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a heads up for those collectors with other authors in mind.
    Simon Patterson from Hyraxia Books has just collected about 800 books from me with 450 more in the next couple of weeks. They will be catalogued and for sale in about six to eight weeks.
    Authors include:
    Haruki Murakami, George Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, Iszuo Kashiguro, Joe Abercrombie, Philip Reeve, Philip Pullman and many others. Proofs, first editions, signed limited and lettered.
    Sorry, there are no Stephen King.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.
    Excellent, I’ll be on the lookout. I collect a few of those authors (Martin, Rothfuss, Abercrombie).
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

You will not be disappointed Luke, I promise.
    Some very rare Rothfuss proofs and a beautiful Subterranean Press proof of The Blade Itself.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

you had my curiosity but now you have my attention

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You will not be disappointed Luke, I promise.
    Some very rare Rothfuss proofs and a beautiful Subterranean Press proof of The Blade Itself.
    Excellent!!
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As the copies of Firestarter from Dragon Rebound head out to their respective locations, I will take this opportunity to say thank you to Paul Suntup who has just taken on a project to produce five unique copies of rebound first editions for me. The project, I am sure, is probably not the first time it has been done.
    First edition copies of Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Night Shift and The Stand will be rebound into extremely fine leather covers, each with their own matching leather tray case. The details of the stampings and gold pattern are with Paul, as is the quality of the product and materials to be employed.
    The difference with this set is that I have been able to use some of the 1980's signed bookplates that I purchased as a batch of sixteen many months ago. These will be set into each book in a recess on the verso of the front board.
    The complete design is totally with Paul and his ability to come up with something of the highest quality is without question.
    As the project progresses I will post a few updates here as I am sure Paul will do the same on his media sites.
    I feel very privileged that Paul has elected to produce this set for me, especially with the work load he has already undertaken with his next lettered edition.
    So a very heartfelt thank you to Paul.
    Hi Alec-
    Any updates or teases you are able to share with your rebound project?
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Hi Jim,
    Many thanks for the interest.
    At present Paul has all five text blocks and the five signed bookplates. Production is under way, though with everything that Paul has to deal with at the moment I am loathe to ring too often. I do know that the inside boards are in silk and the bookplate (somehow) is recessed into the verso of the front board and held using the silk which will be cinched around it. The text blocks will be cleaned on the top and bottom page edges, however the deckled front edge will be maintained so as not to jeopardise the integrity of the books. They will be in antique red Moroccan leather with an identical tray case which mimics the book. Other than those few details I have left the design to Paul. The books themselves are extremely robust with a thick enough front and back board to take a gold line decoration round their edges.

I have asked Paul to post the finished set on his website and Facebook as all credit will be down to him.

The one thing I know for certain, they are in safe hands.

Sorry I cannot paint a proper picture, however I hope that has given you some idea.
    Good to hear from you and hope your art acquisitions are continuing to grow.
    Kindest regards
    Alec.

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot wait. Period. I have Paul doing something for me too. He is worth it as we all know... left it up to him for the most part too! Can’t wait Alec to see!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sounds exquisite; can't wait to see the finished products.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

Well, this collection thread certainly has been fun to browse. Thank you, Alec, for sharing, and thank you, Simon, for getting the collection in front of our eyes. I’ve barely made a dent reading through all the replies, but what I’ve seen already has been inspiring!
    Looking for Mister Slaughter S/L #78

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Things have been a little busy lately, so I have been somewhat remiss in updating Alec's thread. I had the opportunity to visit Alec a couple of weeks ago and as well as having a very enjoyable lunch with Alec and his good lady wife, I also got to see first hand some of the new additions to his collection. I'll provide a few comments, but leave it to Alec to give the full details on individual books.

As posted previously, Alec purchased one of the KD Whelan originals - here it is after framing:
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure this will excite the proof collectors out there
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a very fine copy of the Bachman Books and of course signed...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another nice copy, this time of a lettered Whispers. Uncommon to find with an unfaded spine like this:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 58 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 ... LastLast