Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Whose responsibility was Susan's death?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Roland's

5 3.97%
  • The Mejis folks' (who let it happen)

17 13.49%
  • Cordelia's and Rhea's

54 42.86%
  • Everyone's from above

15 11.90%
  • Someone else's - /let us know please/

7 5.56%
  • It was ka

27 21.43%
  • Noone's

1 0.79%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Whose responsibility was...

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Posted this on another thread and I ought to add it here, as well. Roland did see the potential of Marten in himself. On the drop, with Susan, during the blood kiss, “She was, at least for the moment, no longer her own mistress; she might consequently be his. He could do to her what Marten had done to his own mother, if that was his fancy.” W&G, chap vii/section 9/p270. Not that I want to, but it is part of the story, as King wrote it. I don't think it's a tiny similarity, do you?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

taking it into consideration that Roland's experience in everything concerning relations between sexes was very limited, and that the memory of Marten and Gabrielle loomed very large in his immature mind, I think it's only natural that their example leaped to his mind at the slightest pretext. I wouldn't attach too much importance to this, or coclude that there really were any similarities.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I agree Jean. Roland was a 14 year old boy who had exactly two memories involving sex, his night with the whore in Gilead and catching his mother and Marten. That conceivably would make for much of Roland's associations of sex with "what Marten did to mother". As much as he could act as an adult in many situations other 14 year old boys couldn't, Roland was in many ways a just another confused teenage boy when it came to sexual things.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    That conceivably would make for much of Roland's associations of sex with "what Marten did to mother".
    this perfectly resumes what I was trying to say!

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, okay, the teenage angle explains why he was unable to forgive his mother. His control over his teenage hormones is an adult response. The text says, “She was, at least for the moment, no longer her own mistress; she might consequently be his. He could do to her what Marten had done to his own mother, if that was his fancy.”

I'm wondering how significant the word "consequently" is in this case? The story continues, "The thought broke his passion apart, turned it to coals that fell in a bright shower, winking out one by one in a dark bewilderment..."

I know you're not saying that what Marten and Gabrielle did is not without significance. What is significant, I think, is the struggle Roland has with love and how that struggle affects his decision later, the Tower, or Susan. Susan thanked him a bit later, for not taking what he could. Given that later on he does take Susan and her him, considering his initial reaction, as well as Susan's initial response, "if you really do love me, don't let me dishonor myself. I've made a promise. Anything might come later, after that promise was fulfilled, I suppose..." is their being together in harmony with the rose?

Country
    Country Flag

Hardly anything about young Roland is in harmony with the rose. The question whether or not what he and Susan did was 100% kosher, and the question whether or not there is any analogy to Marten&Gabrielle story, are, I believe, different.

Country
    Country Flag

Meaning not on this thread, or something, huh? I don't see how they are different, considering the text provided. Susan didn't want Roland to cause her to dishonor herself, much as Gabrielle dishonored herself by following her desire for Marten. Given the text provided by King, that "Anything might come later, after that promise was fulfilled, I suppose..." Susan's words, I'll hazard again that Roland does hold some responsibility for her death in the end.

No matter, I'll still sleep at night, with the question unsettled. As Roland said to Jake, "Yet here we are, and ka stands to one side and laughs."

Country
    Country Flag

There are no two things, or lines or events, between which similarities couldn't be found. Likewise, we could say, for example, that what Blaine does to Lud only echoes what Roland did to Tull, or that Walter dies like Eddie (both believing to have won, and underestimating the adversary). Similarities are heuristically helpful unless they are absolutized and obscure the differences, or else they might distort the essense.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, you betcha! Couldn't have said it better myself! Theorizing diaspora, adjudicating hybridity.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Please clarify Whitey. I'm not sure I see either one of those in Jean's contention.

Country
    Country Flag

Please clarify Whitey. I'm not sure I see either one of those in Jean's contention.
    I'm still trying to figure out what either one of us said...give me time.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I am a foreigner, and sometimes it is easier for me to use a long word than to look for short ones; please tell me which of them caused difficulty, I'll try to replace it.

I'll try to put it in other words now: to understand a thing better, you can compare it with another - known - thing; in this way, both finding similarity and finding differences is very helpful for deeper understanding. Depending solely on similarity or solely on difference may, however, make the phenomenon or event in question lose some essential features, which will obscure the understanding, not facilitate it.

Actually, it was only theorizing around the two quite concrete examples I gave:

There are no two things, or lines or events, between which similarities couldn't be found. Likewise, we could say, for example, that what Blaine does to Lud only echoes what Roland did to Tull, or that Walter dies like Eddie (both believing to have won, and underestimating the adversary).

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I am so in love with this conversation, I'm finding the on line dictionary very useful
    presently, thank you for the opportunity to increase my vocabulary.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

You gotta remember, Jean, I'm a carpenter and shifting from hammer and nails to ideas takes time. I think I get what you're saying now. Sorta like, yeah, you don't want to install the pink shutters against the purple siding, go with the white, everything goes with the white...wait now, that might work, actually. Bad example.

Anyway, I see nothing that diminishes the tale if Roland/Susan is compared/contrasted/whatever with Marten/Gabrielle. Considering the text given, the dialogue of the characters, how could anyone not see similarities 'tween the two? Your examples could be talked about, as well, and I figured from an earlier post you were telling me to stay on thread...does Roland own some blame for Susan's death...I think that was the thread opener...mind boggled...rubbing furiously at left temple...many other functions...what's that noise that Andy and Blaine make?

As for obscuring the understanding...dunno...said elsewhere that on initial read, Roland seemed like a giant...could do no wrong...and on initial read, I saw no fault with Roland and Susan slip sliding away. Now, I'm second-guessing that thought, questioning it, as well as seeing the Marten/Gabrielle affair as it was...for two years...while on the initial read, perhaps I read those words but thought of it as a one-time deal.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kes is on a distinguished road Kes's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not to lose the current thread of the conversation, but to answer the original question...

I don't think you can hold Roland "responsible" for Susan's death...where there things he could have done/not done that might have changed the outcome? Well, perhaps. Perhaps not, Ka being what it is...

You could suggest that Susan was equally responsible for her own death. She was told to go West to Gilead and didn't. She chose to remain and free Roland and company. Had she left them to their own devices and found her way to Stephen Deschain it might be Roland's son we would be reading about.

I think that Roland certainly takes on the responsibility for Susan, after the outcome. And I think the reason he does is that he realizes that he WOULD have risked her to gain the Tower and that once he realized what his quest was, no woman or child could have kept him from it. And knowing that he was everything to her, while she was but a part of who he was creates him in the feeling of responsibility. But to say that his direct actions anymore than anyone else's caused her death...well, I can't go there.

As to the Roland/Susan and Marten/Gabrielle connection, the problem is that we don't know enough about Marten and Gabrielle and what their connection was...Was it a love match? Or was it a powerful man manipulating a lonely woman? Did Marten dishonor Gabrielle or did she dishonor herself? Is cuckholding someone, having an affair with a married woman the same as wooing a young girl away from becoming the mistress of a married man when the whole price of the bargain still hasn't been met?

There is some sort of a hint in DT7
    Spoiler:
    where we are treated to a vision in one of the rooms where Roland most certainly connects sex and his mother quite clearly and to his absolute terror. Does this show some connection in Roland's mind between Susan and Gabrielle, as has been suggested?

Gunslinger Apprentice AIMB will become famous soon enough AIMB's Avatar

ooooh! I was the 19th vote for Ka!

Anyways I think it was just something that happened because of small (and not so small) choices made by a number of people. That's what was so sad about it, if one person had just done one thing different.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Is that what ka is?

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfire1290 View Post
    Ha ha i'm cool with blaming Ka
    How can you blame something that's so untouchable?
    Well, then, maybe we should come right out and ask about Gan.
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    ...It all had to happen to start off the quest to the tower.
    If that is true, could we say that the Tower knew it?

This is a real horror story if Gan planned everything.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    For me it sounds like a bad comedy.

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

bears are inclined to feel the same

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

A real horror story or a bad comedy... either way, it's Stephen King.

Country
    Country Flag

petitio principii?!

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wildfire1290 View Post
    Ha ha i'm cool with blaming Ka
    How can you blame something that's so untouchable?
    Well, then, maybe we should come right out and ask about Gan.
    Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    ...It all had to happen to start off the quest to the tower.
    If that is true, could we say that the Tower knew it?

and this is a surprise to you? don't you find that god/gan/ the turtle has a sick sense of humour and / or fair play when you see whats going on in the world?

I blame Ka and i believe it was fate that led to susan's death, i also partly blame roland as he lost sight of his fathers face (his mission) and he failed to protect the people around him, if he had done the job that was set or even taken his head out of his arse for one moment he may well have saved susan, but i don't think that was ever meant to happen - Ka.

i do blame the townsfolk but not as much, if you have ever read the papers you all know how easy it is to get caught up in a witch hunt.

as for cordelia/rhea yes they instigated this, but i also feel that if they hadn't something else would have done and susan would still have died. ka

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, candy; that's close to what was trying to say. I do not find, ultimately, that God is sick, but it is no surprise to me when people do feel that way. I see what's going on in this world.

More interesting to me at the moment, however, is that while you do not feel that Roland or any of the other characters are excusable, you believe in ka.

Jean, you know what my basic position really is, if you'd like to get formal.

Country
    Country Flag

sure, but since you know what mine is, you will understand that I couldn't help making a little cheap jab

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast