Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short and Sweet

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:rose: Short and Sweet

Be my creator a sovereign who never has yet been crowned
    Or a blue-eyed carpenter whose words are so very profound,

Be my number the same as the Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese,
    Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields, and running as light as the breeze.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow, still to takers! guys, I promise it's an easy one!!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have a guess.

Country
    Country Flag

the answer is one word, a noun!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

messiah

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Country
    Country Flag

it's a good guess (probably inspired by the carpenter part?), but the answer is much simpler!

all clues must work somehow! the only part of the riddle that is not really a clue is "as light as the breeze" that is there for the rhyme's sake

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Snake? or Horse?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

think of the two "creators" and of the two "numbers"; then the shields

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

This lady is boggled by bears' hints as well as their riddles...

Country
    Country Flag

maybe if you think of the numbers first it will help

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

ok, i'm going to post my (limited) thoughts on this so I can
    a) help others get to the solution
    OR (more likely)
    b) provide amusement at my feeble thought processes

so, clue summary:
    1. its a single word and it's a noun (could be proper noun, could be common noun - not clear yet)
    2. it has to meet all the clues
    3. the first two are words, the second two are numbers, the third is unknown but has something to do with 'shields'

so lets look at line 1 and 2, which bears refers to as 'creators'.
    Line 1 refers to 'a sovereign who never has yet been crowned'. My first thought on this was a coin (ie a gold sovereign) but bears then referred to it as a creator. So am now trying to think of a an uncrowned King or Monarch from history. I also thought God might fit this.
    Line 2 This HAS to be Jesus.
    Line 3 A number that is the same as (presumably equals) 'Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese' - Lucky for the Chinese has to be the number 8 (although I threw in some guesses around Chinese new year). Maugham’s coin is proving tricky to get to a number. I can only find reference to a Maugham’s coin in the novel by W. Somerset (Ashenden) where a coin is flipped. I can't find any reference to what type of coin or its numerical value.
    Line 4 'Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields' - Old as I am indicates whatever the noun is has been around a while, so nothing modern. 'bearing my shields' has me flummoxed!

so that leaves me with something thats been around a while, created by God or Jesus and comes in 8's ....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    1. its a single word and it's a noun (could be proper noun, could be common noun - not clear yet)
    yes
    2. it has to meet all the clues
    yes
    3. the first two are words
    nouns, anyway

the second two are numbers
    yes

the third is unknown but has something to do with 'shields'
    quite

am now trying to think of a an uncrowned King or Monarch from history. I also thought God might fit this.
    clue 1
    Spoiler:
    look closer

Line 2 This HAS to be Jesus.
    No! The carpenter part requires some around-the-corner thinking, while all the rest is quite straightforward

Line 3 A number that is the same as (presumably equals) 'Maugham’s coin or lucky for the Chinese' - Lucky for the Chinese has to be the number 8 (although I threw in some guesses around Chinese new year).
    YES!!! so, one of the numbers is 8!

Maugham’s coin is proving tricky to get to a number. I can only find reference to a Maugham’s coin in the novel by W. Somerset (Ashenden) where a coin is flipped. I can't find any reference to what type of coin or its numerical value.
    wrong track

Line 4 'Old as I am, I’m still bearing my shields' - Old as I am indicates whatever the noun is has been around a while, so nothing modern.
    depends...

so that leaves me with something thats been around a while, created by God or Jesus and comes in 8's ....
    no, alas, no! except the been around a while part

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it Christine?

uncrowned Monarch = Stephen King (created the book)
    Blue eyed Carpenter = John Carpenter (created the film)
    numbers are 5 and 8 (Still don't get the 5 but 8 is lucky for Chinese) (Christine is a Plymouth Fury '58 )
    Old and shields, presume this is a reference to the age of the car and the fact it can restore itself?

Country
    Country Flag

No, but so close!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Carpenter and 5 are both wrong, but the rest is only one step away! Stephen King is correct, of course.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn! thought I had it! Doh, thinking cap back on...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Buick ?

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Buick ?
    I think youve got it...thats the only 8 in an SK book that I know of.

Country
    Country Flag

yes! now, who is the carpenter and what is the other number?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I would never, ever, ever, win a goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    yes! now, who is the carpenter and what is the other number?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd guess at Karen Carpenter - thinking about the number and researching her link to Buick

Is it room 218?
    a carpenter built it...and it has an 8...

Country
    Country Flag

I'd guess at Karen Carpenter - thinking about the number and researching her link to Buick
    it's the first time in my life that I hear of a Karen Carpenter...

clue 2
    Spoiler:
    the German for "carpenter" is Zimmermann

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Is it room 218?
    ?????

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

clue 2
    Spoiler:
    the German for "carpenter" is Zimmermann

Is it room 218?
    ?????
    Doh! - you are dealing with an English Goblin bears, we only speak one language and are fluent in only 2 more (American and Australian)

As for Karen Carpenter - you must have heard her music??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Carpenter
    bears should definitely listen if they have not - she has the most hauntingly beautiful voice ever.

http://youtu.be/YR1ujXx2p-I

Is it room 218?
    ?????
    Exactly.

Country
    Country Flag

thank you goblin! bears love beautiful voices!

you don't have to know languages to make that connection... maybe you should be an American, but, then again, bears are not. LOL, I thought it was so obvious it would stick out like a sore thumb now that we know the correct (though still incomplete) answer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast