Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Collecting Goals

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

My goal is to cut BACK on spending for my personal collection. When I bought Betts 4+ years ago, I was newly unemployed and it scared me to death. There was a self-imposed moratorium on new spending for my collection which lasted about 2 years. Since then, I nailed down a pretty solid regular job (though pay is 50% less than what I had been making) and the constant temptation of books I am shown at Betts put me on a buying "bender" for the last 2 years.

My two biggest acquisitions in 2013 were a set of the 3 S/L Plant inscribed to the same person and a complete Green Mile Proof set (with book 1 flatsigned by King)...I try to be "good" by selling off parts of my existing collection to pay for new purchases, but never is it enough.

2014 I've purchased a bunch on small-to-medium stuff...that MUST stop for me....my #1 acquisition goal for 2014 and beyond is a Sphere Gunslinger proof. No one seems to know how many were actually made but they appear to be even more scarce than the Orange Plume Gunslinger Proof if that's possible. The Sphere is about the only Dark Tower hole I have left to fill. I am leaving no stone unturned...That said, I made a HUGLY generous offer through a member here to an unnamed (unknown to me) collector overseas who reportedly has one. My solid offer of a year ago was spurned. Wish me luck.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Fingers crossed, David. Hope you get it!

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sphere Gunslinger Proof is extremely rare. I too wonder how many were made...
    Can not be very many.....
    When is the last time anyone saw one for sale?
    I have both Orand and Sphere but my goal is to get them signed by King!
    I should have flown to Florida from what I hear.....

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

We reached June and I see that my objectives are doing great:

English:
    Gift Edition of The Shining (bumped from 2013)
    Mr Mercedes US Proof

Revival US Proof
    Revival UK Proof
    S/L Edition of Mr. Mercedes (if one is produced)
    Gift edition of Revival (if one is produced)
    Silver Bullet
    One for the road
    Cavalier with story The fifth quarter
    The long walk UK 1st
    Rage UK 1st
    The running man UK 1st
    Roadwork UK 1st

To have all those antologies that published a S. King fiction story first: I'm missing 22 publications.

Spanish:
    IT white cover edition (never saw one for sale)
    Dreamcatcher movie tie-in hardcover edition (never saw one for sale)

And the grails...well, not all during 2014, but at least one of 'em:
    The Stand S/L
    The New Lieutenant's rap
    Firestarter S/L
    The eyes of the Dragon S/L

I don't think I'll be getting another of the grails this year.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Penny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    My goal this year is to stay focused on completing my 1st/1st collection. Last year I went on a S/L bender and I need to avoid that or find a support group
    We're the only support group you'll ever need mate (not that this'll keep ya outta the poorhouse though)
    Well now that the year is more than half over I have to say the support group is letting me down! Other than Mr. Mercedes and a pre-order for Revival I have not filled in any of the missing 1st/1st. All anyone dose is congratulate me on my newest S/L or Art Portfolio. Can someone step up and slap me the next time I buy an S/L over a 1st?
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Can someone step up and slap me the next time I buy an S/L over a 1st?
    Okay.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

[QUOTE=Roseannebarr;835640]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Carried over from 2013. The books I need flat signed.

1. Cycle of the Werewolf (hardcover)

3. My Pretty Pony
    4. The Dark Half
    5. The Stand Complete and Uncut
    6. Stephen King at the movies

9. Salem's Lot - Illustrated Edition
    10. Nightmares in the sky. (Optional) Now acquired.

I am not even close. I took one off my list.
    Last edited by Roseannebarr; 03-01-2015 at 12:23 AM.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

2014 Collecting Goals

My goals for this were pretty modest. I'm a new SK collector so my goals are just based about getting my feet wet. They were mostly based around remarques and new collections.

My main goals are to get a copy of every Stephen King novel that CD has published. Not anthologies but stuff he has done by himself. I'm on a budget so GE is fine. As of now I only need SoD 1 to finish that goal.

I also wanted to up my remarques. I've been able to get remarques from Chong, Clark, Bauman, Chadbourne and Maitz. I want to get 2 triple remarqued books and I am almost done with my first one.

So its been a nice start to so far this year. I'll have to make new goals soon I think.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Well, it is that time of the year again.....time to start looking forward to what we will add to our collection in the upcoming year.

My goals are simple.....

Gift Edition of The Shining (bumped from 2013) DONE
    S/L Edition of the Shining (bumped from 2013) DONE

1st Edition of Mr. Mercedes DONE
    Signed 1st Edition of Mr. Mercedes DONE
    Gift Edition of Mr. Mercedes (if one is produced) NOT PRODUCED
    S/L Edition of Mr. Mercedes (if one is produced) NOT PRODUCED

1st Edition of Revival PENDING
    Signed 1st Edition of Revival PENDING
    Gift Edition of Revival (if one is produced) TBD
    S/L Edition of Revival (if one is produced) TBD

And maybe a NLR.......

I for one would not be too upset if the only new books for 2014 were Mr. Mercedes and Revival......2013 was an expensive and busy year between Joyland, Doctor Sleep, The Dark Man, and The Shining.
    UPDATED
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    1. To complete collection of US 1st Edition/1st Printings.
    2. A few more Gift editions (It 25th Would be nice)
    Updating my own list...
    Now Have IT Gift edition and now have ALL the Gift/unsigned Limited's (anyone know different?)
    Also, I am down to the last 2 US 1st/1s's

1. 'salem's Lot
    2. Night Shift (This is on lay away with another member)

Technically to complete my TRADE US 1st's I also need DT VII (I only have the Artist edition) and I am debating whether to include the Viking DT I (i'll probably get these at some point)
    My Goals somewhat expanded since I posted this, mainly because I was given a lovely condition UK 1st of Thinner. This inspired me to complete my UK 1st/1sts as well as the US ones (which mainly meant finding the really hard to get ones )
    I've also become somewhat enamored on Books about SK, but i'm restricting these to S/L or Lettered copies.

So, new Goals:

1. Complete collection of US 1st/1sts - Now just need 'salem's Lot (I also picked up all the variant covers, DT VII and all the Viking books)
    2. Complete collection of UK 1st/1sts - Now just need 'salem's Lot, Rage, Faithful and Christine (which is on its way as I type)
    3. 'Interesting' Collectible books about SK or his works (I have set no hard rules on this section, but I'm aiming for ALL the CD books at the very least)
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Collecting all paperbacks 1st edition 1st printing

1. Carrie
    2. Salem's Lot--need better copy
    3. The Shining--
    4. Rage--
    5. Night Shift--
    6 The Stand--Missing
    7. The Long Walk-
    [U]8. The Dead Zone--Found a good one.
    9. Firestarter--Missing
    10. Dance Macabre
    11. Road Work--
    12. Cujo--
    13. The Gunslinger--Missing
    14.. The Running Man--+ UK edition
    15. Different Seasons - Missing
    16. The COTW paperback-
    17 Christine-Need replacement
    18. Pet semetary--Need replacement
    19. EotD--
    20. The Talisman MIssing
    21. Thinner--1 crease need perfect
    22. Skeleton Crew- need replacement bow on spine
    23. The Bachman Books
    It-- Missing 1st edition
    [B]24. Dark Tower II--Done
    25. Misery
    26. The Tommyknockers -need replacement
    27. The Dark Half need replacement
    The Stand Complete and Uncut Missing
    28. Four Past Midnight
    29. The Dark Tower Wastelands-
    30. Needful Things--Missing
    31. Gerald's Game - Need replacement
    32. Dolores Claiborne - Missing
    33. Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    34. Insomnia--need replacement
    [B]35. Rose Madder - done
    36. Desperation
    37. Regulators
    38. Green Mile-
    39. Dark Tower Wizard&Glass-
    40. Bag of Bones -missing
    41. Storm of The Century
    42. Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon-
    43. Hearts in Atlantis--need replacement
    44. Secret Windows=missing
    [B]45. Dreamcatcher - Done
    46. Black House
    47. From a Buick 8
    48. Everything's Eventual--need replacement
    49. Dark Tower Wolves of Calla - missing
    50. Dark Tower Song of Susannah--
    51. The Dark Tower - missing
    52. Faithful - missing
    53. The Colorado Kid-
    54. Cell
    55. Lisey's Story
    56. Blaze
    57. Duma Key
    58. Just After Sunset
    59. Stephen King goes to the Movies
    60. Under the Dome
    61. Full Dark No Stars
    62. Dark Tower, Wind through Keyhole
    63. Doctor Sleep
    64. Joyland-
    65. Mr Mercedes missing
    66. Revival missing
    67. On Writing
    68. 11/22/63

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think #44 Secret Windows was every issued as a paperback.

John

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Can someone step up and slap me the next time I buy an S/L over a 1st?
    Okay.

I have to say thanks RF it worked. I added this today:

— Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Thank You for the Info!! I kept forgetting my list at home, and I go into used bookstores! I always have my cell phone, so I thought this would be an easy way to remember what books I needed!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    Thank You for the Info!! I kept forgetting my list at home, and I go into used bookstores! I always have my cell phone, so I thought this would be an easy way to remember what books I needed!
    What sort of cell phone do you have? I could probably write you an app that would allow you to type in the name of an SK book and have it show all your collectible info (E.g. Whether you have a copy, edition/printing status, what you paid for it, what the current selling price was, what the different variants were, etc.) You would probably need to key in all of that info before hand (it would be based on YOUR collection right) but it would work offline and be there as a handy tool.

Is this something other members would be interested in?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Goals for the rest of the year? One more flat signed SK book. That's it.

Small aspirations, with my budget it might even be manageable too. If only more publishers priced his S/L stuff like Hard Case did...

Country
    Country Flag

John
    What sort of cell phone do you have? I could probably write you an app that would allow you to type in the name of an SK book and have it show all your collectible info (E.g. Whether you have a copy, edition/printing status, what you paid for it, what the current selling price was, what the different variants were, etc.) You would probably need to key in all of that info before hand (it would be based on YOUR collection right) but it would work offline and be there as a handy tool.

An App would be great. I have an Android and have tried an app called Book Catalogue, which is ok but not designed with the collector in mind. The one thing I do like about it is you can use your camera to scan the bar code or ISBN to search for your book info and then add it to your catalog. You might want to start a new post with a poll to see how many would be interested in the app?
    — Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Let me see...Hmm....

1) Thin out my collection a little..... maybe acquire THE LONG WALK

-G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

My Mood
    Asleep

John

I hate being old. I have an Iphone 5, but i barely know how to use it!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Fuckin dinosaur!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

As with any app ideas these days, it seems someone has already got there first...

I would suggest looking at "Book Manager, Collector, Organizer" by Runner apps or "Book Buddy - Book Library" by Kimico, Ltd.
    Both are free and offer some nice features.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Fuckin dinosaur!

I finally drank the Koolaid and bought a Samsung Galaxy III Notebook.
    Now I am reading the 269 page manual.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm an apple sheep

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I made a change in my collecting "habits", I've updated the list

English:
    * Gift Edition of The Shining (bumped from 2013)
    * Mr Mercedes US Proof
    * Revival US Proof
    * Revival UK Proof
    * S/L of Revival (if one is produced)
    * Revival 1st USA signed
    * Silver Bullet
    * One for the road
    * Cavalier with story The fifth quarter
    * The long walk UK 1st
    * Rage UK 1st
    * The running man UK 1st
    * Roadwork UK 1st

* Anthologies that had a King's first publication (fiction): get 12 out of the 23 I'm missing.
    * Magazines with 1st fiction appereances: get 10 out of the 34 I'm missing.

Spanish:
    * IT white cover edition (never saw one for sale)
    * Dreamcatcher movie tie-in hardcover edition (never saw one for sale)

And the grails...well, not all during 2014, but at least one of 'em:

* The Stand S/L
    * The New Lieutenant's rap
    * Firestarter S/L
    * The eyes of the Dragon S/L
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Gift Edition of The Shining (bumped from 2013)
    S/L Edition of the Shining (bumped from 2013)
    S/L of Mister Mercedes
    Signed Trade of Mister Mercedes
    S/L of Revival
    Signed Trade of Revival
    Spoiler:
    Sorry, I can't even print this one.
    Well you knocked the Mr. Mercedes Signed 1st out of the park with the inscribed copy you got!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast