Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: In Mint Condition 2013: Impressions and Criticism

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am sooo looking forward to receiving my HC!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, who is posting the next review?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Just received my copies the other day. The book looks really good Shannon! I'll probably start reading it sometime this week.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

all I know is that shannon thinks I'm a pirate - since I did the AR-work in the book
    arrrr

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I'd love to post a review, but it's difficult to read the stories without creasing the spine... so I'm just staring at the cover through the glass protective case.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations to all my good friends whom I humbly call peers.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Krystle, did you ever get the PDF copy I sent? No spine on that.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Krystle, did you ever get the PDF copy I sent? No spine on that.
    PDF copies? I'd take one of those so I could read it on my Kindle. Save My paperback and hardcover for the shelves...

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Not an eBook PDF. More like an Adobe PDF.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not an eBook PDF. More like an Adobe PDF.
    I could still read an Adobe PDF on my tablet

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think an Adobe PDF can be converted into .mobi?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think an Adobe PDF can be converted into .mobi?
    Probably, but I can just read a regular PDF on my Galaxy Tab

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear the HC's are shipping very soon!!! Shannon is the best "bastard" son you could hope for!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Finished the book the other day.
    Kudos to Shannon et el for pulling this off.
    I think everyone did a really good job - I was entertained, intrigued, and creeped out. And even laughed a few times.
    Some of the artwork was spectacular. I want the original artwork of "The Rule of Three" Wow

I especially like Pumpkin - The story was unique and very well written. The artwork perfectly conveyed the same emotions I felt while reading the story.
    A few others stand out as also very well written - "Seagrass Encounter," "Right to Life" and "A Place on Pine Island" in particular.
    And a few others stand out as being very original and unique - "Excelsior!" and "On Monday I Ate My Cat..." to name a few.

Loved Terrys Bio and Jeromes acknowledgement - very funny

I also thought the layout - the order in which the poems, stories and artwork appear - was spot on. Flowed very nicely. BUT I didnt like the bios and acks being in the back of the book. Lot of page flipping. Maybe next time the bio should be either before or after the story / poem.

Thats my off the cuff "critique" but I think everyone involved deserves a pat on the back. Even though I found some stories better than others I was entertained by ALL of them and really enjoyed the book.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Country
    Country Flag

our first review of the whole book!!!

Nadine: if you would later also review some selected stories or poems separately, it would be great!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Twisted, I think you'll be very happy with the format of the hardcover edition.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Finished the book the other day.
    Kudos to Shannon et el for pulling this off.
    I think everyone did a really good job - I was entertained, intrigued, and creeped out. And even laughed a few times.
    Some of the artwork was spectacular. I want the original artwork of "The Rule of Three" Wow

I especially like Pumpkin - The story was unique and very well written. The artwork perfectly conveyed the same emotions I felt while reading the story.
    A few others stand out as also very well written - "Seagrass Encounter," "Right to Life" and "A Place on Pine Island" in particular.
    And a few others stand out as being very original and unique - "Excelsior!" and "On Monday I Ate My Cat..." to name a few.

Loved Terrys Bio and Jeromes acknowledgement - very funny

I also thought the layout - the order in which the poems, stories and artwork appear - was spot on. Flowed very nicely. BUT I didnt like the bios and acks being in the back of the book. Lot of page flipping. Maybe next time the bio should be either before or after the story / poem.

Thats my off the cuff "critique" but I think everyone involved deserves a pat on the back. Even though I found some stories better than others I was entertained by ALL of them and really enjoyed the book.
    I have the original artwork for 'The Rule of Three at home

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the original artwork for 'Mr. Scratch's Murder Circus'.
    Sloth Love Chunk

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Twisted, I think you'll be very happy with the format of the hardcover edition.
    Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    I have the original artwork for 'The Rule of Three at home
    Ooh Envious. Great piece.

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I have the original artwork for 'Mr. Scratch's Murder Circus'.
    Another great one.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Receptionist, by Bob Ireland

I am very happy that this story is the first in our book, for a number of reasons. The first is, of course, that the story is excellent; another, maybe more important, is that it is emphatically traditional. It is written in the good old style of classic horror stories, old-fashioned in the best sense of the word. It starts at the beginning, gives the premise and the background of the main character, develops and ends to the reader’s total satisfaction.

The background I mentioned might seem excessive, but it is not. We need to be lulled into this sense of normalcy, with a perfect main character nothing special should be expected of. This part is very subtle because it, simultaneously, is pleasantly archaic in its straightforwardness; gives some false cues; and, finally, gives the main character a story that is just so out of the ordinary (i.e. the girlfriend’s history) that its ordinarity doesn’t sound overdone, doesn’t feel like it’s there on purpose, in order to further oppose it to some future extraordinary events. And, on the other hand, there’s a dose of that, too: the only other characters whose names we hear are Mr.Jones and Mr.Smith!

Then, when the extraordinary happens, it’s just of the creepy, every-day-life kind that lets us totally relate to the character and his tribulations. It starts as almost comic, something we’ve all been through at some time or other; and then escalates.

I loved the writing too. The narrative itself is perfectly natural, and abounds in such gems as:

Half the pond was covered with a flotilla of lily pads with spikes of miniature white flowers peering up like those in¬sects with eyes on their antennae.

She told Dick he would be working out of the South Pod, the one to the left. Dick wasn’t sure if she meant her left or his left.

a panoramic view of the Complex and the other buildi— er … Pods

the only other person we really meet has no last name at all. She is referred to either as the receptionist, or Sally, How May I Help You (what her badge reads).

Altogether, the story is amazing. I am also happy that our first official reviewer said that it was her favorite in the book:

http://www.booksrusonline.com/2013/1...13-edited.html

Congratulations, Bob!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Bears have very kind words - words that have placed a big smile on my face! For that I say Thank You over and again! It's a kind of vindication that my writing is worth something, that I should continue on this journey, that I cabn eventually retire from my "day job" and write into the sunset!

I love to write and IMC 2013 has re-fueled that passion to put into words the stories floating around my head. I missing the submission deadline for IMC 2014 due to family obligations (two kids got married four weeks apart and this took up a tremendous amount of time and energy). I do have a story that is almost ready and plan on finishing it and submitting to a few magazines for consideration. I also have a dozen other stories some as merely ideas and some fifty percent complete. i better get back to them before the story fades away!

It's a nice bonus that Books R Us online reviewed IMC 2013 and my story was their fave!

:-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Bears have very kind words - words that have placed a big smile on my face! For that I say Thank You over and again! It's a kind of vindication that my writing is worth something, that I should continue on this journey, that I cabn eventually retire from my "day job" and write into the sunset!

I love to write and IMC 2013 has re-fueled that passion to put into words the stories floating around my head. I missing the submission deadline for IMC 2014 due to family obligations (two kids got married four weeks apart and this took up a tremendous amount of time and energy). I do have a story that is almost ready and plan on finishing it and submitting to a few magazines for consideration. I also have a dozen other stories some as merely ideas and some fifty percent complete. i better get back to them before the story fades away!

It's a nice bonus that Books R Us online reviewed IMC 2013 and my story was their fave!

:-)
    Get, Bob a bigger hat!!! He's freaking famous now!! LOL J/K Congrats on the story, Bob and I am soooo looking forward to reading it if, my freaking copy ever gets here!!! LOL

Totally Awesome project!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm very excited for the hardcovers to reach people's doorsteps and mailboxes. No one has seen the exterior or interior yet, which is exactly how I wanted it. For the cover, I think it's going to be a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. I love it, but ... we'll see how you guys feel about it.

The interior is amazing. Pat pat pat.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm very excited for the hardcovers to reach people's doorsteps and mailboxes. No one has seen the exterior or interior yet, which is exactly how I wanted it. For the cover, I think it's going to be a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. I love it, but ... we'll see how you guys feel about it.

I'm sure they will be wonderful, Shannon!! And if I haven't said so before, the mere fact that you were able to pull this whole thing off is well, inspirational and awesome!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. It was pretty awesome. Thanks for making a dream of mine come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I'm sure they will be wonderful, Shannon!! And if I haven't said so before, the mere fact that you were able to pull this whole thing off is well, inspirational and awesome!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast