Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: In Mint Condition 2013: Impressions and Criticism

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default In Mint Condition 2013: Impressions and Criticism

Links to reviews in this thread:

Mr.Scratch's Murder Circus (review by Jean)
    Excelsior! (review by BROWNINGS CHILDE)
    Overview of the book by TwistedNadine
    The Receptionist (review by Jean)
    Overview of the book by Hannah
    Overview and review of The Train Graveyard; Excelsior!; My First Book; The Rule of Three and On Monday, I ate my Cat by divemaster
    Excelsior! (review by Hannah)
    Tabula Rasa, The Receptionist, The Train Graveyard, Brothers (review by Heather19)
    The Train Graveyard (review by Jean)

So, this amazing thing actually happened and people started receiving the book and reading it!

It's a truly great event, and a giant milestone. Many people have posted here their poetry and prose, but very few had seen their works published - before this very day.

I hope with all my heart that we all will have a lot to say about one another's stories and poems that have been chosen by Shannon, Amber and Brice for this - our very first - volume.

Not only praise (though of course this too!), but any criticism is very welcome!

P.S. Mark your spoilers! Not all of us have read the whole book yet!
    Last edited by Jean; 02-24-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Mr.Scratch's Murder Circus, by Jeremy Gooch

The man whose poem opens the collection is very well known around here. I personally consider him one of our three best poets (the other two being Frunobulax, who has been absent for so long there's hardly any hope for his return, and Jon, who, as I dearly hope, has submitted something for IMC 2014), and our first Poet of the Month.

I know there are people around who are better at literary criticism than me, and I hope they will post soon; I'll only say a few words.

The poem is captivating and rich in imagery, cruelly apt in its painting a world where nobody is innocent. The "discordant harmony" reigns between the "wicked" and "ghouls" on the outside, and "the damned and cursed" inside: everybody wins the same lot where souls are readliy traded, and no-one escapes.

The same "discordant harmony" is shaping the stanzas: Jeremy chose to rhyme only the even lines (while I know very well he can rhyme everything he wants, inside out and upside down, thus his technical skill allows him to chose exactly how and what he wants to rhyme) and the flow of the verse acquires the very degree of discordancy that allows it to stay within harmony; likewise, he associates incompatible things, which brings everything together into a deliciously disturbing whole.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea for a thread. Two things though. The stories and poems were chosen by myself, Amber, and Brice.

And secondly, please no spoilers.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Great idea for a thread. Two things though. The stories and poems were chosen by myself, Amber, and Brice.

And secondly, please no spoilers.
    these three names are written in gold letters in our hearts!

: runs to edit the starter post :

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea for a thread!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Jean, I think your critique is better than the work you are critiquing. Your piece was my favorite of the book. Once others have had the time to get through it, I will expand on my reasons and ideas about it. For now, I will say that your story seemed to marry the themes of 1984 and A Brave New World within a story thar harkens back to Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. That said, the denouement was both a perfect resolution, and completely unexpected. In short, it was the perfect ending. The reader is provided with enough information to completely understand the climax, yet deprived of just enough to want to immediately read it again with foreknowledge of the ending.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Jean, I think your critique is better than the work you are critiquing. Your piece was my favorite of the book. Once others have had the time to get through it, I will expand on my reasons and ideas about it. For now, I will say that your story seemed to marry the themes of 1984 and A Brave New World within a story thar harkens back to Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. That said, the denouement was both a perfect resolution, and completely unexpected. In short, it was the perfect ending. The reader is provided with enough information to completely understand the climax, yet deprived of just enough to want to immediately read it again with foreknowledge of the ending.
    Oh Lord, I am so looking forward to receiving my Hard cover and reading it!!! Faster, Shannon, faster!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Your piece was my favorite of the book.
    Incredible!!!

The reader is provided with enough information to completely understand the climax, yet deprived of just enough to want to immediately read it again with foreknowledge of the ending.
    I can't express how happy this makes me feel!

Jean, I think your critique is better than the work you are critiquing.
    And here I have to politely disagree.
    I have a simple test for poems: either I can memorize it right away, or I can't. Yours is always in my mind.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Excellent idea for a thread. I've only read a handful of the stories so far. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy and then I plan to read the rest. I'll post more thoughts here once I do.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Like Heather, I've only read a couple of the stories. As soon as I have my copy I'll read them all and post some thoughts. I can't wait to read everyone's stories and see the artwork!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

really nicely done shannon.... thanks for the opportunity to be a part of it - I'd be happy to help out with any future projects - artistic work , proofreading, etc. ... though any future pirating help will cost you -and you'll have to furnish the eye patch from now on.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    Like Heather, I've only read a couple of the stories. As soon as I have my copy I'll read them all and post some thoughts. I can't wait to read everyone's stories and see the artwork!
    As do I, my dear!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Hannah, just read your story yesterday, and I think it might be my new favorite. (Very tight race with yours and Jean's) The title to your story is absolutely genius.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Thank you! It's so nervewracking to know that something I wrote is out there to be read, so your positive feedback is heartwarming.

On a sidenote, I just realized that I need to order a paperback ... or I'll be missing out on Mr. Boehmke's cover art!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread has definite potential.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The frontispiece for the hardcover edition is an actual paperback-sized black and white version of the paperback cover. For size comparison.

Country
    Country Flag

Hannah!!!

can't wait to read your story, and to read your review of the others!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have read a few stories, behind the scenes, of course, and this should be an awesome production!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    It's so nervewracking to know that something I wrote is out there to be read
    That is very true.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just so long as you guys all buy my book when it's released and make a similar thread, when I'm not broke as shit I'll buy this and add to this discussion! lol

Shannon, make sure you let me know when to have entries in for the next edition as I'll probably have a few things for submission for 2014.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The deadline for IMC2014 ended a month or so ago. Do you mean for IMC2015?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

whatever you're accepting pieces for in 2014

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    whatever you're accepting pieces for in 2014
    I believe he is saying you missed the boat for 2014. Try for 2015.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I know but he'll be accepting something in 2014, right? I know missed this years submissions because I was too busy, want to submit next year

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, we will be accepting submissions for IMC2015 in 2014.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast