+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: The Mist miniseries

Gunslinger Apprentice RichardX will become famous soon enough RichardX will become famous soon enough RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I noticed the authority figures are mostly portrayed as bad guys or cowards on the show so far. Or at least dubious characters. The cops, military, priest, mall security etc. While the teachers, writers, old folks are the good guys. My spidey senses are sensing a Hollywood political undertone. How long before we get the child or elderly black person with ESP who saves the world?

Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was told that it would in august as well for France, but didn't get any news since 2 months or so...
    @Bev : would you happen to know? If not, I'd may ask my contact again
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING) : on : Facebook | Twitter

ITEMS FOR SALE :

- French copies of RAGE,
    - Secretary of the Dreams, vol. 2 : uncorrected proof,
    - Just After Sunset, UK partial uncorrected proof

Word Slinger Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I was told that it would in august as well for France, but didn't get any news since 2 months or so...
    I don't know anything about other markets. I saw articles from the U.K. and Canada that gave this information.

Goldmember herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest is a splendid one to behold herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I don't know anything about other markets. I saw articles from the U.K. and Canada that gave this information.
    And it will be the same for France ;-)

ITEMS FOR SALE :

- French copies of RAGE,

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

The latest episode was far better than the previous two. Not fantastic, great, good, but just better. It picks up the speed and there's a few creepy scenes and a nice cliffhanger. At least for me. They do, however, need to show more and more of what the mist is and is capable of. Okay, so it's not the type of monsters as in the novella/movie version, it's nature being...hmmm...unnatural. I will continue to watch but if they go back to the boring drama that episode 5 was, then I'm out. I'm not interested in soap opera with supernatural elements...that's what Haven (and in some ways) Under the Dome turned out to be.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

Put out to pasture"!!! Living in Magaritaville!!!!
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    The latest episode was far better than the previous two. Not fantastic, great, good, but just better. It picks up the speed and there's a few creepy scenes and a nice cliffhanger. At least for me. They do, however, need to show more and more of what the mist is and is capable of. Okay, so it's not the type of monsters as in the novella/movie version, it's nature being...hmmm...unnatural. I will continue to watch but if they go back to the boring drama that episode 5 was, then I'm out. I'm not interested in soap opera with supernatural elements...that's what Haven (and in some ways) Under the Dome turned out to be.

I dunno. I'm really not digging the way they seem to be going with the writing. BTW, they could really use some "writers" IMHO!!!

My Collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy". The Outlaw Josey Wales

Holding myself to a Higher Standard!!! Retired!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

I'm not overtly happy either, but have come to terms that they are going to do with it whatever they want and I can't stop them I hope that they will surprise us with some nasty, dramatic collisions among the people in the mall and in the church. It's definitely building up to that. That's where the novella and movie version succeeds so well. But there's no real threat from the mist in this show (except it playing games with people's minds) and it's not a smart move to keep it so much in the distance. The ending of this latest episode reminded me just a tad of John Carpenter's The Fog and it gave me a slight chill...maybe just because I love that movie so much. If this show becomes a horrible mess (some think it already is), then at least we will soon have Mr. Mercedes, It and The Dark Tower to make up for it, at least what King adaptations are concerned. I long for something good and I think these three will deliver, especially Mr. Mercedes and It

Citizen of Gilead St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NoAttitudeThisTime View Post
    I'm not interested in soap opera with supernatural elements...
    I'd say that's pretty much what the whole season has been. I have remained with it because it hasn't sunk to UTD-like lows, I like Kevin (as a character; I get something other than soap opera from him), and I continue to feel like something truly interesting might be around the corner (I spent all of season 2 of Wayward Pines suffering that experience). Anyway, 7 episodes in, I shouldn't still be waiting for certain things to happen (and no, I don't count

Spoiler:
    the mass of slugs

as a payoff.

Still, I'm far enough in now that I'll finish the season no matter how bad it gets.

Did anyone else think that the scene in which

Spoiler:
    Mia saw her mother and the phrase "welcome home, baby doll" written on the wall

...had a very "I'm going to try to write something like SK himself would write!" feel to it? A bit clumsy; not great.
    I know that there's a time and a reason
    to take the ghost and lock it up inside

Citizen of Gilead St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy is a glorious beacon of light St. Troy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RichardX View Post
    I noticed the authority figures are mostly portrayed as bad guys or cowards on the show so far. Or at least dubious characters. The cops, military, priest, mall security etc. While the teachers, writers, old folks are the good guys. My spidey senses are sensing a Hollywood political undertone. How long before we get the child or elderly black person with ESP who saves the world?
    Some fiction (definitely including SK himself, many times) definitely proceeds from an "if we had no generals, we'd have no wars" basis.

I don't know about message (intentional or otherwise) in this case, but I do think writers/filmmakers often have an ax to grind. The thing is, the same type of thing, if done well, can be a meaningful (and apolitical) examination of the limits of human organization: given a large enough crisis, every structure of authority fails, contingencies that can't be planned for arise, the best (so to speak) among us are revealed as being human after all - and doesn't that sound better than just repeating the intellectually vacant "everyone who pulls me over or wanted to wear a badge in the first place is a Nazi" viewpoint?

Not that I see anything this high-falutin' or complex in this incarnation of The Mist, but then, I haven't really had my mind on it (I could write a thesis on the things I see in Salem's Lot, however). In The Mist, I just see a bunch of people who are understandably in over their heads - I mean, who goes to work expecting the apocalypse? Well, maybe Father Romanov, but then that's why he's one of the few who just gets to work processing events through his very definite worldview.
    I know that there's a time and a reason
    to take the ghost and lock it up inside

Oy's Bitch ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't see THAT coming!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent is a splendid one to behold Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Didn't see THAT coming!
    You mean about
    Spoiler:
    the rapist
    ? I guessed that in the first episode.

Oy's Bitch ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy is a splendid one to behold ICry4Oy's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Didn't see THAT coming!
    You mean about
    Spoiler:
    the rapist

That too, kinda...

Spoiler:

I always knew the cute preppy guy didn't do it, not really sure who did. But didn't see the psycho side of the gay kid.

I didn't see the old lady in the church turning out to be the evil bitch she is now. I was always afraid of the Xian fanatics, not the old hippie. Turns out she is just stone cold evil.

Glad the bitch in the mall got it but now they'll go after the mom thanks to the chicken-shit mall manager guy.

That too, kinda...

Spoiler:

I always knew the cute preppy guy didn't do it, not really sure who did. But didn't see the psycho side of the gay kid.

I didn't see the old lady in the church turning out to be the evil bitch she is now. I was always afraid of the Xian fanatics, not the old hippie. Turns out she is just stone cold evil.

Glad the bitch in the mall got it but now they'll go after the mom thanks to the chicken-shit mall manager guy.
    I've seen next week's episode -- one character does something truly evil, and I'm not sure I bought it. But everyone is headed for the mall, so the finale should be interesting.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

Put out to pasture"!!! Living in Magaritaville!!!!
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag

I may as well stick around for the finale, but I am disappointed so far...........

My Collection:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy". The Outlaw Josey Wales

Holding myself to a Higher Standard!!! Retired!!!

Goldmember webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000 has a brilliant future webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stopped watching. My time is valuable and this show is not
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't see THAT coming!

You mean about
    Spoiler:
    the rapist

That too, kinda...

Spoiler:

[/quote]

xcxwcxc

Frankly, those 2 things were obvious from episod 1...
    Spoiler:
    the rapist is very likely her "gay" friend"]

ITEMS FOR SALE :

- French copies of RAGE,

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7