Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blake's Comic Book Ramblings

Gunslinger Apprentice BlakeMP is on a distinguished road BlakeMP's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Blake's Comic Book Ramblings

As most of you know, I'm a columnist, reviewer and podcaster for the comic book website, comiXtreme.com. Since my ramblings are always available there, I'd like to point out whenever I've got a new rambling available. This week's column, for instance.

This week's Everything But Imaginary: I hate speculators -- those folks who buy comic books by the boxful in the hopes of selling them and buying a house one day. And there are forces in the universe trying to FEED those speculators. I call them "Home Shopping Networks." Ugh.
    Everything But Imaginary #215: So What Will This Be Worth?

Read a new Everything But Imaginary every Wednesday!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, Blake. You are always informative and entertaining.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeMP View Post
    As most of you know, I'm a columnist, reviewer and podcaster for the comic book website, comiXtreme.com. Since my ramblings are always available there, I'd like to point out whenever I've got a new rambling available. This week's column, for instance.

This week's Everything But Imaginary: I hate speculators -- those folks who buy comic books by the boxful in the hopes of selling them and buying a house one day. And there are forces in the universe trying to FEED those speculators. I call them "Home Shopping Networks." Ugh.
    Everything But Imaginary #215: So What Will This Be Worth?

I've found that whenever I speculated, it did not work. I have umpteen copies of X-Men #1 and Sectacular Spider-Man 226 as exhibits A-ZZZ. Now I just buy what I enjoy reading.

Country
    Country Flag

Damn right, man -- that's the only way to do it.

This week's Everything But Imaginary: Superheroes change their costumes all the time. Spider-Man has a few suits in his closet, Superman tried that ugly blue number for a while, and Iron Man can't seem to keep his armor design consistent from one panel to the next! But what about when characters as old as any of them try a whole new look? Are you ready for the "new" Betty and Veronica?
    Everything But Imaginary #216: The Latest Costume Change

Country
    Country Flag

And now, Blake proudly presents... a buttload of reviews of comics from the last two weeks:

Cable and Deadpool #40: Cable vs. the Hecatomb.
    Countdown #50: Jimmy Olsen seeks a killer -- and has to face the Joker.
    Fables #61: With his memory returned Ambrose has a deadly mission.
    Hero By Night #3: Roz is captured -- can Jack find a hero to save her?
    Jack of Fables #10: Conclusion of Jack of Hearts.
    The Mighty Avengers #3: The Avengers (still) fight Ultron.
    Moon Knight #10: Moon Knight faces the Punisher.
    PVP #32: The coming of Shecky.
    Uncanny X-Men #486: Conclusion of The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire
    White Picket Fences #1: It's the Cold War -- the US of A faces the Martian Menace!
    X-Factor #19: One of Jamie's dupes is dying -- and the team hunts Quicksilver.
    X-Men: First Class Special #1: Three short stories featuring the original X-Men.

And finally...
    CX Done-in-One Reviews-May 9-16, 2007: In which I review Betty and Veronica Double Digest #151, Friday the 13th #6, The Honor Brigade #2, Hulk and Power Pack #3, Legion of Super-Heroes in the 31st Century #2, Mystery in Space #8, Nightwing #132, Noble Causes #29, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #2 and Tales of the Unexpected #8.

Country
    Country Flag

Did you ever review Archie Meets The Punisher? If so, could you post it here?

Country
    Country Flag

Also a review of Watchmen, please.

Country
    Country Flag

Never wrote a review of either of those, actually -- they were both waaaaaaaaaaay before my reviewing days began. Although I DID discuss Archie meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in episode 11 of my podcast.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Damn right, man -- that's the only way to do it.

This week's Everything But Imaginary: Superheroes change their costumes all the time. Spider-Man has a few suits in his closet, Superman tried that ugly blue number for a while, and Iron Man can't seem to keep his armor design consistent from one panel to the next! But what about when characters as old as any of them try a whole new look? Are you ready for the "new" Betty and Veronica?
    Everything But Imaginary #216: The Latest Costume Change

oh lord, i had to go read this one right away. i literally grew up on betty and veronica comics. i wanted to look like betty and have veronica's money.

at first i was outraged. "how dare they change anything!" but then i saw them and thought, 'yea, they're still cute as hell.' so it was cool.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Country
    Country Flag

Never wrote a review of either of those, actually -- they were both waaaaaaaaaaay before my reviewing days began. Although I DID discuss Archie meets the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in episode 11 of my podcast.
    Sweet, I'll check that out.

Country
    Country Flag

http://twoinone.libsyn.com/ (iTunes | RSS | MySpace)

Episode Nineteen: Star Wars
    by Blake Petit and Chase Bouzigard

It's a multi-fandom geekfest in this week's 2 in 1 Showcase. May is the 30th Anniversary of the original Star Wars movie, and there's no way Chase and Blake could let such an occasion go by without notice. This week our boys spend time talking about their all-time favorite Star Wars comic books, talk about the comics being published by Dark Horse Comics these days, and tell you how to get your episode idea moved up on "The List." Then they think out of the box for this week's picks -- TwoMorrows Publishing's The Dark Age and Fantagraphics' The Complete Peanuts. And stay tuned later this week for Chase's special bonus report from Phoenix Rising, New Orleans' big Harry Potter convention!
    Episode Nineteen: Star Wars
    (left-click to listen, right-click to download)
    Like the show? Review the show! 2 in 1 Showcase wants your reviews at iTunes, Podcast Alley, and Podcast Pickle. The guys promise they won't bite.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Did you just say this is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars?!

Good God I'm getting old.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, yes I did. I'm old too.

Soooo... this week's column. Some people worry that comics with a rich history will be too intimidating to new readers. Me? I think it's like a puzzle waiting to be put together.

Everything But Imaginary #217: The Continuity Scavenger Hunt

Country
    Country Flag

Episode Twenty: The Legion of Super-Heroes
    Blake and Chase are climbing into the time machine this week to bring you the adventures of the 31st Century's greatest protectors -- The Legion of Super-Heroes. Through three continuities and innumerable revamps, what are Blake and Chase's favorite Legion stories? How about the Legion these days? How do they fit in with the Justice Society and Justice League? And what about the new Legion television show? The guys cover them all. Stick around for this week's picks, including Ape Entertainment's White Picket Fences and Marvel's Sensational Spider-Man Annual, then chat it up here in the forum or at their new MySpace page, and send your e-mails to showcase@comiXtreme.com. Don't forget about the ongoing contest, too -- listen to the show for details on how to enter.
    Episode Twenty: The Legion of Super-Heroes
    Episode Twenty: 2 in 1 Checklist

Like the show? Review the show! 2 in 1 Showcase wants your reviews at iTunes, Podcast Alley, and Podcast Pickle. The guys promise they won't bite.

Country
    Country Flag

Now it's time for America's favorite game show: Blake reviews a buttload of comic books!

Here are reviews for books that were released last week:

Captain America #26 (Good)
    Fantastic Four #546 (Good)
    Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man Annual #1 (Very Good)
    Heroes For Hire #10 (Average)
    PVP #33 (Good)
    She-Hulk #18 (Good)
    newuniversal #6 (Good)
    Shadowpact #13 (Very Good)
    The Spirit #6 (Excellent)
    Uncle Scrooge #366 (Very Good)
    X-Men #199 (Average)
    And finally...
    CX Done-in-One Reviews for May 23 (In which I review Dynamo 5 #3, Madman Atomic Comics #2, Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes #30 and Superman/Batman #35)

And if that wasn't enough, here are advance reviews for books being released this week (or, in a few cases, next week):

Chucky #2 (Very Good)
    Daredevil #97 (Very Good)
    G.I. Joe: America's Elite #24 (Great)
    New Avengers: Illuminati #3 (Average)
    New Excalibur #20 (Fair)
    Silent War #5 (Fair)
    Subculture #1 (Very Good)
    Wolverine #54 (Average)
    X-23: Target X #6 (Good)

Country
    Country Flag

For a few months now, Chase Bouzigard and I have been gracing your ears with our soon-to-be world famous 2 in 1 Showcase podcast. And it's a blast. But you can't listen to us 24/7 (mainly because we've only made 20 episodes so far). So for this week's Everything But Imaginary, I'm taking a few minutes to talk about some of the other comic book podcasts out there -- they aren't us, but they aren't bad, either.
    Everything But Imaginary #218: Comics on Your iPod

Country
    Country Flag

Episode Twenty-One: Archie Comics
    by Chase Bouzigard and Blake Petit

There's something for the whole family in this week's 2 in 1 Showcase when Chase and Blake turn their attention to America's favorite teenager and the rest of the gang at Archie Comics. Blake recalls his favorite titles, Chase ponders the cartoon show, and the guys talk about the "new look" of Betty and Veronica, the AWOL Archie superheroes, Sonic the Hedgehog and everything else Archie! This week's picks stay with the family-friendly theme, with Marvel Adventures: Spider-Man and Uncle Scrooge, plus a bonus discussion on various Disney projects. Gather the kids -- young and old -- and listen to this one together.

Episode Twenty-One: Archie Comics

Episode Twenty-One: 2 in 1 Checklist

Country
    Country Flag

Here are my reviews for some of this week's Marvel comics:

Avengers: The Initiative #3 -- Very Good
    Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears #5 -- Great
    Iron Man #18 -- Meh
    Marvel Zombies Vs. Army of Darkness #4 -- Very Good
    Ms. Marvel #16 -- Good
    New Warriors #1 -- Surprisingly Good
    Omega Flight #3 -- Disappointing
    Uncanny X-Men #487 -- Okay

And from last week:
    Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #681
    Done-in-One Reviews for May 31, 2007 -- In which I review JSA Classified #26, Teddy Scares #1 and Wrath of the Titans #1

Country
    Country Flag

Nobody likes to date themselves -- so why do some comics do so unnecessarily? And what's the danger behind that?
    Everything But Imaginary #219: The Dating Game

Country
    Country Flag

You KNOW I'm wanting to know what you thought of Detective #833.

Country
    Country Flag

Episode Twenty-Two: Fantastic Four
    With Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer about to hit your movie theaters, Blake and Chase bring you the first of a special two part episode! This week, the guys talk about their favorite stories starring Marvel Comics' first family, the Fantastic Four -- the all-time classics, the "new" team, and their hopes for the new movie. And in this week's picks, the guys tackle a pair of lower-profile superheroes: Hero By Night and Madman Atomic Comics. Visit the MySpace page, chat us up here, and be sure to come back next week for the second part of this series, focusing on the Silver Surfer!
    Episode Twenty-Two: Fantastic Four
    Episode Twenty-Two: 2 in 1 Checklist

Country
    Country Flag

Episode Twenty-Three: Silver Surfer
    by Chase Bouzigard and Blake Petit
    In the second part of their two-part look at Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Blake and Chase discuss their favorite stories starring the sentinel of the spaceways, the Silver Surfer. Heavy on Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation, the guys also find time to recommend two upcoming reprint collections, Showcase Presents Captain Carrot and the resurrection of the Valiant Universe in Harbinger. Also, don't forget to check in at the 2 in 1 MySpace page, review the show, and tune in later in the week for Blake's special report from Wizard World Philadelphia!
    Episode Twenty-Three: Silver Surfer
    Episode Twenty-Three: 2 in 1 Checklist

Country
    Country Flag

Episode 23.5: Wizard World Philadelphia 2007
    In a special bonus episode of 2 in 1 Showcase, Blake takes to the road for Philadelphia for the Wizard World 2007 convention. Joined by Showcase Emergency Backup Geek Mike Bellamy, Mike's wife Kim and Blake's girlfriend Erin Blash, the Quixotic Quartet brings you news from the con, tales from the convention floor, recommendations for new comics and a lot of fun.

Episode 23.5: Wizard World Philadelphia 2007

Country
    Country Flag

Episode Twenty-Four: The Flash
    In times of crisis, things always go into chaos for DC's scarlet speedster, The Flash! And if there's one thing Chase and Blake know, it's that chaos makes for good podcasting. This week the guys discuss their all-time favorite Flash stories, what they think really happened in Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #13 and Justice League of America #10, the future of the Flash legacy, and the impact of time-travel jet lag on the human body. Stick around for this week's picks: Nova and Transformers: Megatron, and don't forget to help spread the word about the show with your reviews at iTunes and all over the web.
    Episode Twenty-Four: The Flash
    Episode Twenty-Four: 2 in 1 Checklist

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

[url=http://twoinone.libsyn.com/]...Episode Twenty-Four: The Flash
    In times of crisis, things always go into chaos for DC's scarlet speedster, The Flash! And if there's one thing Chase and Blake know, it's that chaos makes for good podcasting. This week the guys discuss their all-time favorite Flash stories, what they think really happened in Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #13 and Justice League of America #10, the future of the Flash legacy, and the impact of time-travel jet lag on the human body. ....
    The Flash? JLA?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast