• TDT to compete as a single novel

8 30.77%
  • all the 7 volumes of TDT to compete separately

15 57.69%
  • TDT not to enter the contest at all

3 11.54%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do You Want TDT to Compete as a Single Novel This Time?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Do You Want TDT to Compete as a Single Novel This Time?

"This time" means for CRA 2014.

I am totally sure that it is a single novel, and should be considered as such. I know that many people think the same (see our long discussion in Top 100 thread), and many don't - before we start our next CRA, I need to know, how many.

Option 3 is not a joke. I personally would love to see how other novels would do without TDT hanging over them.

Please vote!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure its a good idea. As individual books, other tomes have a fighting chance. based on the reason why most of us are here, I'd say TDT as a whole would be the one book we would take to a desert island or save from our burning house...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

TDT has 8 volumes.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, it doesn't.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I actually voted for 3 because it may seem biased that a Dark Tower site and it's members would end up voting for it because they are fans. That being said, I don't know if it's really fair to leave it out either.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I vote for TDT to be counted as one story.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I voted to leave it out. I've always felt it has an unfair advantage here which isn't really surprising at all considering the site is named after it. I too would love to see how his other stories would rank without it. I think it would make a difference in the end when they go into the head to head battles.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

I voted to consider TDT as individual novels.
    The novels were written and published individually, and even though the story continues from one novel to another, each is different in its own way. (IMHO)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that it's eight separate novels, and I voted as such, but I too wouldn't mind excluding them from overall voting or having a separate vote.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is very tough, but it should be considered a single novel, for these purposes. IMHO. After that, you can certainly rate the various installments, but TDT Is a 7 volume, complete story. To read any individually does not complete the overall story. Much like reading "Fellowship of the Rings" and nothing else. "Foundation", and no further. This is of course JMHO.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember reading Asimov's amusement at fans expecting more Foundation story.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's just absurd in context. We do this contest in hopes of judging the quality of SK's many works. Are you suggesting there's no qualitative difference among DT books? They are separated by years, representing all different stages of his career! To label it a single work is an interesting conceit on certain levels, but taking that seriously does make it hard to compare to non-series novels, naturally.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

While "Path" is on my "ignore" list I can imagine that he has a contradictory reply. You speak as if folks actually "care" what you think! I for one do not. Live long and prosper.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've contradicted Jean and 6 other voters, but not the 9 people so far voting the other way. Doesn't make sense to say someone is contrarian in the middle of an opinion poll. But when it comes to constantly chiming in with thoughts that no one cares about, you are the expert, Bill.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    While "Path" is on my "ignore" list I can imagine that he has a contradictory reply. You speak as if folks actually "care" what you think! I for one do not. Live long and prosper.
    I personally do care what Mike thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    But when it comes to constantly chiming in with thoughts that no one cares about, you are the expert, Bill.
    And I personally do care what Bill thinks.

Genarally, it has been our tradition to respect one another's opinion around here.

I wish you would either stop your feud, or, if you ignore each other, do so consistently.

Thank you.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have never ignored anyone, nor pretended to be ignoring them, and I will not agree to act that way in the future-- I face my problems as an adult. On this thread, I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion and to state relevant points. It's not my intention for that to become personal. But I won't take abuse.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Works that covered over 20 years of a writer's career and readers' imaginations is difficult to label a single work. In that 20 odd years, readers died and were born. Fans were won and lost...
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

so far we have 12 people who want all the 7 volumes of TDT to compete separately, and 10 people (7 + 3) who don't

we definitely need more votes

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd change my vote to not entered at all if that made it easier to run. It might be interesting for a change to see how that would affect the other proceedings.

Country
    Country Flag

I'll keep it in mind. I'd rather not change the figures in the poll now, because in this format (showing the voters) there might be some glitch. But I'll remember.

Country
    Country Flag

have just learned from WeDealInLead, here, that King too considers TDT to be one long novel.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    have just learned from WeDealInLead, here, that King too considers TDT to be one long novel.
    That's a reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da...gh_the_Keyhole
    King said, regarding the Dark Tower series, "It's not really done yet. Those seven books are really sections of one long über-novel."
    So he's describing an ongoing series, like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones. But it's quite obvious each of the eight books is still a novel in its own right.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

WTF does King know!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"I wanted to write an epic, and in some ways, I succeeded. If you were to ask me why I wanted to do that, I couldn't tell you."
    -- "On Being Nineteen"
    It's a great thing about America, that anybody who wants to can try to change the world.
    Of course, the world may still stay the same if it wants to...
    I mean, writers can fail; the public decides how to receive their work.
    Anyhow, it is an interesting conceit, as I said before. Yet even if King does absolutely believe he managed to write it as a single novel, well, he also made choices such as to publish in series, so it still wouldn't necessarily mean that he would want I-VII entered as one book in CRA 2014. If the latter, I guess that he could come and vote like anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast