Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My least favorite book of the series

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I'm with both of you Letti & Maerlyn, I love Waste Lands. Jake Chambers is possibly my all-time fav fictional character and this book was largely the reason why. I loved learning about his NY life and his attempt to return to Mid-World.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I am in love with all of the books. There isn't one I hate. To me they are all integral and important to the saga.
    Hey, me too, bro. I cut holes in each of my books so that I can love them even more. However, the title of this thread is "least favorite" not "worst." So, come on. There's gotta be one of them that falls at the bottom of the list, no?

Brice, I hear ya. So let's say that it's one book. Which part of that one book doesn't shine as much as the rest? If (for some bizarre and unexplained reason) one of the Dark Tower volumes had to vanish from existence, which one would you rather have it be?

Jesus, man! Why don't you just tear my still beating heart out of my chest?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

:?:

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Does this offer extend to me too???
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Does this offer extend to me too???
    Sure, why the hell not?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am in love with all of the books. There isn't one I hate. To me they are all integral and important to the saga.
    Hey, me too, bro. I cut holes in each of my books so that I can love them even more. However, the title of this thread is "least favorite" not "worst." So, come on. There's gotta be one of them that falls at the bottom of the list, no?

Sorry, you're not gonna get All_Hail to say what his least favorite is; I think his life depends upon pretending to like every single book equally. If he dares stray from that notion, who knows what maight happen . . . *gasp!*

That being said, I am not life-dependant on anything, so I can easily say what my least favorite of the series is, and it sure as hell is NOT Wastelands. In fact, I think TT ight be the first person here I have ever read type that they hate this book. Very interesting. Hey, at least it's an original thought 'round these parts. Pretty refreshing, really, because I remember at least back in the .net days that the opinions were either "I love the last three books" or "I hate the last three books."

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only complaint I had about the book was that they never actually went into the wastelands. They just rode over them. You've got to admit that it would have been cool if Blaine had crashed halfway through and the ka-tet had to battle monsters and try to get out as fast as they can before they are irreparably damaged by the poison fumes of the territory.
    "I serve only one masta: DAAKNESS" - Peter Boil, Swashbuckler

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's what I would have hated! action instead of talks??? not for the bear!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Rider_of_Discordia is on a distinguished road Rider_of_Discordia's Avatar

The Song of Suzannah always felt like a bridging book to me. While all the others stand on their own to a greater or lesser extent, Book 6 is just a connector between Calla and the Tower. It didn't have its own climax, and it didn't have a true beginning (the way the Wolves of Calla did, that started like a independent book that the Ka-Tet wander into...) and things are moving too fast at the end. While this vexed me between Waste Lands and Wizard, (because of the darn wait between the books) it felt worse between Song and Tower. Maybe I was just getting seriously strung out in my Tower Addiction around then!

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

one of the Dark Tower volumes had to vanish from existence, which one would you rather have it be?
    This one.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

blaine can heeeeaaaaaaaaaar you.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dud-a-chum? View Post
    Sorry, you're not gonna get All_Hail to say what his least favorite is; I think his life depends upon pretending to like every single book equally. If he dares stray from that notion, who knows what maight happen . . . *gasp!*
    How did I miss this post?
    I don't think Dud-a-chum even posts on this board anymore but just in case he does and reads this someday ------------------------------------------------------------
    ---- -- ---- --------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------- and may you have nightmares that drive you slowly mad over the rest of your life.
    Last edited by Wuducynn; 07-22-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Being nice to Hannah
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Traveler Fathers Face is on a distinguished road Fathers Face's Avatar

Waste lands was great i love the scenery in it you could almost smell the decay of the city and the spooky feelings in The Cradle. you get a real sense of how Rolands world has moved on
    Its been a while but isn't Waste lands were we are fist introduced to North Central Positronics ?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah this is a great book. This was the first book where I really started to feel that Roland's world was a real place in it's own right, rather than the dream world we had in the previous books. Ok, the backflash sequences in The Gunslinger were the first to paint a real world, but the present day stuff was very dreamlike.

Gunslinger Apprentice JQ The Gunslinger is on a distinguished road JQ The Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only part I didnt enjoy of this book was.... ready for it? Aunt Talitha <gasp>. Thats right, that whole scene in that town bored the crap out of me.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That part didn't bore me, but I really didn't like Aunt Talitha as a character.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    That part didn't bore me, but I really didn't like Aunt Talitha as a character.
    Why didn't you like her?
    She was one of the deepest most fragile characters to me.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    I start re-reading the series a while back. I sat and read The Gunslinger in pretty much a single sitting in one day. It didn't take me a lot longer to finish The Drawing of the Three. I've currently been reading The Wastlands for 2-3 weeks, and I've only finished to the part where they have held palaver with Aunt Talitha, and are heading to Lud. I HATE this book, it's always a difficult read for me. I despise the whole ride on Blaine, it's tedious and monotonous, the trip through Lud bores me to tears, I just generally don't enjoy this book. The only two parts of this book I like a lot are the encounter with Shardik, and when they draw Jake through the door. The part where they are actually drawing him, Jake is in the house, Susannah has the Demon, and Eddie is trying to make the key work. I realize this book is a necessary part of the series, and it contains vast amounts of information that is important to the series, but it's a boring tedious read for me.

i agree with you, TT, but it seems that we are in the minority here. i've never understood the love that this book gets. i dislike all of the whining roland and jake do because of their messed up timelines. roland seems like such a sissy at the beginning. in DT1 he was so cool. he was a gunslinger. walked into town, slayed it cause they turned on him. dropped the kid cause he got in the way. in DT2, he had to deal with an addict, 2 crazy women, and a demented pucher, and yet he still finds time to slay some BA mobsters sans 2 fingers. he's awesome. DT3 "i'll never leave you again" nonsense. BAH. where is the roland of DT1 and 2? he's abrely the same. than we get to lud. i actually like lud, the environment and the peopel are cool. but i couldn't care less for roland's chase of jake through the city. it doesn't feel DT1. i like Blaine, kinda. he's ok. no real issues with him. terrible cliffhanger ending. none of the other ones really do that (except SoS, i'll get to that in a sec). next up, WaG. true, it shows that he cares for someone not so unlike DT3, but this roland is still closer to DT1's roland. the massacre at eyebolt canyon? the bar scene with the BCH? yeah, he loves susan and there's mushy mushy lovey dovey stuff, but he's not whimpering like he does in DT3. roland should never whimper. WotC. good book. good battle. some would say that there's a cliffhanger, but i don't think so. everything after the battle was either tieing up of the plot, or a lead in to the next (whereas DT3's cliffhanger was a cliffhanger. the climax never seemed to really happen. blaine was apart of the climax, and it cut off. coulda been pulled off better) SoS. bridge book. doesn't really offer anything important to Dt imho. it could easily have been absorbed in DT7. my second least fav cause i don't really consider it it's own book, but i still see it above DT3. cliffhanger was irittating, book didn't go anywhere and ended before it could. DT7. perfecto. so much happened, ending was terriffic. some will say, judging by my past criticisms of whimpering "what about roland crying over jakes grave?". these tears are understandable. at this point, they have been together and done so much. they are friends, brothers, compatriots. can not one soldiar mourn for his fallen mates? but in DT3, what had they done? in DT1 they talked and jake fell. they didn't really do anything. and jake didn't return until DT3, any tears there are unwarranted.

don't get me wrong, i love all the books, but DT3 feels tainted. to use a good metaphore for it, i feel that DT3 is the flaw in the diamond that is the DT series.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's why many of us are so crazy about this book. Because as you have written: "they didn't really do anything..." but they spent so much time together they palavered a lot they were getting closer and closer to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    That's why many of us are so crazy about this book. Because as you have written: "they didn't really do anything..." but they spent so much time together they palavered a lot they were getting closer and closer to each other.
    they may have gotton close, but i serious;ly doubt, from what i remmeber of DT1, that they could have gooton close enough for roland to cry over jake. he dropped him without a second thought! i'm sorry, but i can't see the source of the tears in DT3 judging by roland's actions in the previous 2 books.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

absolutely! being (probably, though I never measured them action-wise, because I couldn't care less) the least "action-packed", it seems, to me at least, the most "packed" with regard to everything else - like characters, or main concepts, or the fabrics of the world - and, of course, just the pure enjoyment I got from every page. (Nikolett: I bet you also loved the "tedious and monotonous" ride on Blaine - because it was superb!)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bluelph24 View Post
    they may have gotton close, but i serious;ly doubt, from what i remmeber of DT1, that they could have gooton close enough for roland to cry over jake. he dropped him without a second thought! i'm sorry, but i can't see the source of the tears in DT3 judging by roland's actions in the previous 2 books.
    I might misunderstand you so please feel free to correct me but when he dropped Jake there was no ka-tet at all. Roland met Eddie and Susannah in DotT and they became a true ka-tet in this very book. And one of the biggest action was when Roland was working to save Jake from the Tick-Tock Man.
    I don't say that Roland became a big-hearted unselfish life-guard in this book but he did show love an respect to the others.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    absolutely! being (probably, though I never measured them action-wise, because I couldn't care less) the least "action-packed", it seems, to me at least, the most "packed" with regard to everything else - like characters, or main concepts, or the fabrics of the world - and, of course, just the pure enjoyment I got from every page. (Nikolett: I bet you also loved the "tedious and monotonous" ride on Blaine - because it was superb!)
    Name something I didn't like - that's much harder. Almost impossible.

I might misunderstand you so please feel free to correct me but when he dropped Jake there was no ka-tet at all. Roland met Eddie and Susannah in DotT and they became a true ka-tet in this very book. And one of the biggest action was when Roland was working to save Jake from the Tick-Tock Man.
    I don't say that Roland became a big-hearted unselfish life-guard in this book but he did show love an respect to the others.

but the love and respect for eddie and susannah are waranted. eddie and roland had their whole thing with balazar. eddie dragged roladn up the beach. respect adn love are understandable. love and respect for susannah came of the trials and tribulations of detta and odetta. i can see him loving and respecting those two, but i can't see it for jake.

So it goes.

- Oscar Wilde

Country
    Country Flag

but the love and respect for eddie and susannah are waranted. eddie and roland had their whole thing with balazar. eddie dragged roladn up the beach. respect adn love are understandable. love and respect for susannah came of the trials and tribulations of detta and odetta. i can see him loving and respecting those two, but i can't see it for jake.
    Warranted? Why would it be? From such a man as Roland love is almost a miracle. He was a killing machine without a soul for hunderds of years.
    Anyway I don't think that love is ever warranted. I mean it isn't such an easy thing.. to open your heart to someone.
    For my part I do remember parts when Roland had really nice thoughts with touchable feelings about Jake in this book. So it's not just an opinion.
    I will try to find them because I guess I know where I should look for them.

The way I see it Roland always loved and respected Jake. From the very beginning.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The way I see it Roland always loved and respected Jake. From the very beginning.
    I completely agree with you Letti. I think just seeing how Jake handled himself at the Way Station showed Roland a lot about his character.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast