Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My least favorite book of the series

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default My least favorite book of the series

I start re-reading the series a while back. I sat and read The Gunslinger in pretty much a single sitting in one day. It didn't take me a lot longer to finish The Drawing of the Three. I've currently been reading The Wastlands for 2-3 weeks, and I've only finished to the part where they have held palaver with Aunt Talitha, and are heading to Lud. I HATE this book, it's always a difficult read for me. I despise the whole ride on Blaine, it's tedious and monotonous, the trip through Lud bores me to tears, I just generally don't enjoy this book. The only two parts of this book I like a lot are the encounter with Shardik, and when they draw Jake through the door. The part where they are actually drawing him, Jake is in the house, Susannah has the Demon, and Eddie is trying to make the key work. I realize this book is a necessary part of the series, and it contains vast amounts of information that is important to the series, but it's a boring tedious read for me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

now I understand what DT1 and DT4 lovers feel when I explain how much I dislike those two volumes

and, dear friends, please do not mark DT1 through 3 spoilers in this thread, we are in a spoiler forum.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

The only thing I didn't like about The Waste Lands was that when I finished it the first time there were still years to wait before Wizard & Glass was published. Lud I found very exciting, particularly Roland and Oy's mad dash through the city in search of "Ake." Though I mentioned in other threads about Roland and Jake that I think Roland went a long way towards making up for dropping him in DT-2 when he didn't push him in front of the car, it is his rescue of Jake from Tick-Tock that wipes that slate all the way clean for me. One sacrifice, one rescue.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Though I mentioned in other threads about Roland and Jake that I think Roland went a long way towards making up for dropping him in DT-2 when he didn't push him in front of the car, it is his rescue of Jake from Tick-Tock that wipes that slate all the way clean for me. One sacrifice, one rescue.
    This I am not sure of. Now Roland was convinced that the whole present ka-tet was what it took to get to the Tower; what would he have done if he had believed, just as he had done under the mountains, that dropping Jake was the only way to get there?

"I'm here, Jake," Roland said. He got to his feet, drunk-walked over to Jake, and hunkered beside him. He touched the boy's smooth cheek almost unbelievingly.
    "You won't let me drop this time?"
    "No," Roland said. "Not this time, not ever again." But in the deep*est darkness of his heart, he thought of the Tower and wondered.

(...)
    "I'll never leave you again," Roland said, and now his own tears came. "I swear to you on the names of all my fathers: I'll never leave you again."
    Yet his heart, that silent, watchful, lifelong prisoner of ka, received the words of this promise not just with wonder but with doubt.

That was before Lud. We may say that after Lud these wonders and doubts should be dissipated. But the circumstances were all different from what it would take to turn the situation into real touchstone.

Sorry TerribleT, it was off-topic; R_of_G, we might go on with that elsewhere.

I'm not sure I understand your question Jean. Can you clarify it a bit? You can move it to another thread if you'd like, just let me know where it went.

Country
    Country Flag

which question?

(Now we are making a vaudeville act of two deaf'uns)

my previous post consisted of two parts: in the first I disagreed with your previous statement about Roland saving Jake in Lud making up for letting him drop; the second hinted at the irrelevance of that question to the topic of the thread

::huggling bear::
    (shit! will photobucket ever emerge from under their so-called "maintenance"?::

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    which question?

(Now we are making a vaudeville act of two deaf'uns)

my previous post consisted of two parts: in the first I disagreed with your previous statement about Roland saving Jake in Lud making up for letting him drop; the second hinted at the irrelevance of that question to the topic of the thread

::huggling bear::
    (shit! will photobucket ever emerge from under their so-called "maintenance"?::
    But the quote you used there was from The Wastelands, it come right after Roland pulls Jake from the door.

...in the first I disagreed with your previous statement about Roland saving Jake in Lud making up for letting him drop;
    Ok, what I meant was it made up for it to me, not necessarily to any other reader, and especially not necessarily to Jake. Personally, I see the score as even there, one drop, one save. I don't know that I didn't expect Roland to "betray" him or someone else again before the end, but I forgave the drop after the rescue. Make sense?

the second hinted at the irrelevance of that question to the topic of the thread
    Agreed.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Ok, what I meant was it made up for it to me, not necessarily to any other reader, and especially not necessarily to Jake. Personally, I see the score as even there, one drop, one save. I don't know that I didn't expect Roland to "betray" him or someone else again before the end, but I forgave the drop after the rescue. Make sense?
    it does. Though, come to think of it, on emotional level I though he would never drop him again immediately after that first time; all other instances only helped the feeling grow.

it does. Though, come to think of it, on emotional level I though he would never drop him again immediately after that first time; all other instances only helped the feeling grow.
    i agree again Jean.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course I love them all but if we are talking about least favourite I must say mine is Song of Suannah... however I enjoyed that book too.
    I am in love with The Waste Lands.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I refuse to pick. It is one book.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Of course I love them all but if we are talking about least favourite I must say Song of Suannah.
    That runs a CLOSE second for me.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    bah, taking the easy way out, eh?

If I had to pick one volume that I like the least, I would say it's Wolves of the Calla. I liked a lot of the things that were introduced in it, though (i.e. Todash, Dogans, etc.). Some of it moved slowly and (I felt) dragged on a bit. But it was all worth it for Callahan's stories. This book should have been called, "Pere Callahan's Excellent Adventure."

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I am in love with all of the books. There isn't one I hate. To me they are all integral and important to the saga.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I am in love with all of the books. There isn't one I hate. To me they are all integral and important to the saga.
    very diplomatic. balk balk balk!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    bah, taking the easy way out, eh?

If you like you can call it that. I really think of them that way though. However even if I were to seperate them I'd agree with this entirely.

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, ummm I'm not known for diplomacy...so going from that, that must mean I really mean it.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Hey, me too, bro. I cut holes in each of my books so that I can love them even more. However, the title of this thread is "least favorite" not "worst." So, come on. There's gotta be one of them that falls at the bottom of the list, no?

Brice, I hear ya. So let's say that it's one book. Which part of that one book doesn't shine as much as the rest? If (for some bizarre and unexplained reason) one of the Dark Tower volumes had to vanish from existence, which one would you rather have it be?

Country
    Country Flag

friends. did you notice the section all that is in? We are not asked to say which book is our least favorite; we are in DT 3 forum, and Terrible T declared it ws his least favorite and invited us to share his opinion or to argue with it. If it was just "your least favorite", it would be in Gilead.

Hey, me too, bro. I cut holes in each of my books so that I can love them even more. However, the title of this thread is "least favorite" not "worst." So, come on. There's gotta be one of them that falls at the bottom of the list, no?

Brice, I hear ya. So let's say that it's one book. Which part of that one book doesn't shine as much as the rest? If (for some bizarre and unexplained reason) one of the Dark Tower volumes had to vanish from existence, which one would you rather have it be?

Well, TT was meaning The Wastelands is his least favorite and that he "HATES this book". Thats what I was responding to. I really don't have one that I like less than the others although I do have a number 1 and 2.

ah thanks jean. maybe the thread title should be called, "this is my least favorite book of the series." just throwing it out there.

i see. so what's number 1 and 2?

i see. so what's number 1 and 2?
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...8200#post88200

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't even hate any of the lines of this series. Impossible.
    I love every single sentence.

I loved the Waste Lands because in this book Roland, Jake, Eddie and Susannah were together at last.

Roland would have understood.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes, exactly, letti. They come together at last. I love the wastelands. LOVE IT! The trip through Lud, the Drawing of Jake, the dreams of the Tower. I could and have read this book over and over.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast