Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Which are the best novels?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Candide, by Voltaire

4 16.00%
  • Charlotte's Web, by E.B.White

8 32.00%
  • The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

10 40.00%
  • David Copperfield, by Charles Dickens

8 32.00%
  • Dune, by Frank Herbert

10 40.00%
  • Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk

7 28.00%
  • Foundation, by Isaak Asimov

8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Round 3, Group A

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Round 3, Group A

Here we define the order of the novels with 4 secondings each at positions 48 to 68.

Vote all your favorites.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh... they're getting harder...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dumbass all the way.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Come on Candide! One of my favourites, can read it once a year.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears anticipate tons of tiebreakers in this round

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Dune. I can't say i enjoyed the subsequent books as much, but Dune is to sci-fi what LotR is to fantasy.

Country
    Country Flag

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Dune. I can't say i enjoyed the subsequent books as much, but Dune is to sci-fi what LotR is to fantasy.
    I loved "Dune" as well, but I don't think i go so far as to say that. "Foundation" was a great story as well. There is a lot of Sci-fi that compares where there is little to compete with LOTR in fantasy. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't mean in terms of how good a story it is, but in terms of original concept and popularity/notoriety. Dune, as with LotR, is one of those books that almost everyone knows whether they like the genre or not.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Need more votes for Monte Cristo! This should've been in the Top 5.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    I don't mean in terms of how good a story it is, but in terms of original concept and popularity/notoriety. Dune, as with LotR, is one of those books that almost everyone knows whether they like the genre or not.
    I think I understand what you're saying, but LOTR virtually founded the fantasy genre or at least set the ground work for all that followed, while "Dune" is one of many, even though it is genuinely "out there" and original as far as the setting/story goes. Take Jule Verne' works for example, they would seem closer to the "LOTR" than Dune. BTW, I just say this because I do enjoy a discussion and the learning associated with it. Of course, it may just be a "moot" point as all are entitled to their own opinions. Feeling "talky" today!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Need more votes for Monte Cristo! This should've been in the Top 5.
    Agreed
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I tend to agree with Bill on the subject of Dune and sci-fi. Not only Jules Verne or H.G.Wells, but Symak, Kuttner, Asimov, Sheckley, Stanisław Lem - they all pre-date Dune, and they are truly the great ones.

As far as Monte Cristo is concerned, much as I love this novel, I believe the middle of the list is where it should be.

this poll closes in 48 hours

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I tend to agree with Bill on the subject of Dune and sci-fi. Not only Jules Verne or H.G.Wells, but Symak, Kuttner, Asimov, Sheckley, Stanisław Lem - they all pre-date Dune, and they are truly the great ones.

As far as Monte Cristo is concerned, much as I love this novel, I believe the middle of the list is where it should be.

this poll closes in 48 hours
    Wow!! Cool, Bears!! That's THREE "Post - agrees" I have received in one week. What the hell is going on? Am I "changing" or, is everyone else "seeing the light"? LOL OK, guess I may be changing for the better!! LOL

Spoiler:
    Just "fooling about, folks"!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I had to make myself finish Count of Monte Cristo.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I had to make myself finish Count of Monte Cristo.
    Maybe because you were reading a bad translation. There's a perfect translation by Robin Buss published by Penguin in 2003.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Pablo. I might try it again, eventually, but there is so much to read and so little time that I feel I have to reserve rereads to my absolute favorites anymore.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

or better reserve this particular reread till you can read it in the original! it's really really good

the poll is closed now. The tiebreakers will appear later today

+ Reply to Thread